Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2018, 09:06 AM   #1
alazo1
Premium Member

T5 Should I switch to ATI or keep my Tek?

I have a 40 breeder with a 6 bulb 36" tek light. I've retrofitted some time ago with two fans to exhaust the heat. Both fans are on one side of the fixture. I've read and saw one of the users here that fans should be on the side where the bulb's writting is. Supposedly this is the side that gets the most heat.

I also have an led strip with some royal blues, blues and violets that would attach to the Ati.

Question; is there a reason that I should change to an ati 6 bulb sunpower?. Will the light be much better?.

thanks,
Albert

alazo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 09:20 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazo1 View Post
Question; is there a reason that I should change to an ati 6 bulb sunpower?. Will the light be much better?.

thanks,
Albert
No and No

Unread 12/05/2018, 12:13 PM   #3
LQT
Registered Member

A 40 breeder is only 16” deep. Your Tek T5 fixture is more than capable of providing the necessary par output for whatever it is that you keep IMO.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 10:03 PM   #4
alazo1
Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep the Tek light. I doubt there is a problem with par. No problem with sps even towards the bottom.

Albert

alazo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 08:18 AM   #5
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Only if you just want the ATI light. I wouldn't spend the money on it if I woke up in your shoes, and there is definitely no need to do it. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find any objective data that show ATI lights being better at growing coral than Tek. Sure, you get more PAR out of the ATI, but I'd be surprised if the difference made a significant difference in 90% of the tanks out there. I'm not pooping on ATI, I have one over my 60g. I also ran a TEK light for a few years over a 40br, and a number of other lighting configurations on other tanks. They all grew coral and clams.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 09:35 PM   #6
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
Only if you just want the ATI light. I wouldn't spend the money on it if I woke up in your shoes, and there is definitely no need to do it. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find any objective data that show ATI lights being better at growing coral than Tek. Sure, you get more PAR out of the ATI, but I'd be surprised if the difference made a significant difference in 90% of the tanks out there. I'm not pooping on ATI, I have one over my 60g. I also ran a TEK light for a few years over a 40br, and a number of other lighting configurations on other tanks. They all grew coral and clams.
i agree, what you have, theres no need for a change. only thing to suggest is if your looking to get more light to your coral. take out 1 set of the retro T5s and add either an LED fixture or add a metal halide. i run a 4bulb 36" TEK retro kit over my 40b now. i use ATI bulbs. clam has multiple new growth plates and my rose bubble split for me. no need for me to add anything. i can grow what ever i want. another TEK set would be beast i think. your good buddy. save your money or upgrade some sort of other equipment that needs to be updated...

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Daimyo68
Registered Member

Stick with the Tek fixture, it's more than enough light.

I run one (8 Bulb, 2 center bulbs removed), 13 inches above the water. SPS that has broken off when I'm in the tank, lays on the sand and still grows with exceptional color

Daimyo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 04:12 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

T5 bulbs have wiring (power requirements) on both sides of the bulbs

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 10:25 PM   #9
manateemark
Registered Member

I think that if you’re getting good results that you’re happy with then I would just leave it alone. Do you feel like you need slightly more par? Have you tested that with a par meter to confirm?

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote