Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2017, 07:15 PM   #1
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Looking for New led Fixture

Hello all,

Looking from a new LED Fixture for my Reef Aquarium ..

Mostly SPS/LPS and CLAM

TANK: 72"Lx 24 H"x27"

So far my Search lead me towards
3 x AI Hydra 52 HD

Or
3 x Reef Breeders - Aquasanrise Plus R60

Any other brad worth looking for ? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Unread 07/23/2017, 07:31 PM   #2
bif24701
Registered Member

Kessil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 09:55 PM   #3
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Kessil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kessil looks like different which model works for my Reef Tank ?

Unread 07/24/2017, 12:37 AM   #4
bcheriyan
Aqua99

I a reading a lot of post but still couldn't decide between
AI Hydra 52 HD vs Radion G4 pro

But I am leaning towards AI Hydra 52 HD will 3 of those good for SPS / mixed tank ?

Unread 07/24/2017, 05:27 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

You just need 2 of the RB Photon V2 or Aquasanrise 32" fixtures.

You might also look at ReeFi-Lab pendants. http://www.reefi-lab.com/
It's a new fixture. I bought one a few months ago just to try and my frag tank LOVES it! All Cree leds, 150 watts, only $300 each, way more blue than white leds, crazy software control (even for the fan)! They even use a single, real glass lens whic allows 2'x2' to 3'x3' coverage in a 24" deep tank. Two would work and three would grow anything with great coverage.

Unread 07/24/2017, 04:19 PM   #6
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Thank you Ron, the ReefI-lab looks like new cannot find enough reviews on this , price looks good on though.

Unread 07/24/2017, 10:18 PM   #7
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

I vote kessil as well. I would go with 6 - 360 WE. This LED has a radium MH look.

Indiana Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 08:23 AM   #8
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheriyan View Post
Thank you Ron, the ReefI-lab looks like new cannot find enough reviews on this , price looks good on though.
Might want to research those a bit more. I see the cases/shades for the lights, mounts etc they sell are all FFD 3D printed. And not the nicest prints from what they show, some filament is not very resistant to heat of any kind or UV light. I would def find out what materials they are using before buying.
I 3D print pieces for my work for the last 10 years, own 5 so I have tried quit a lot of various filaments.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 09:13 AM   #9
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Quote:
But I am leaning towards AI Hydra 52 HD will 3 of those good for SPS / mixed tank ?
It can. It might not. That depends on you and how much SPS (and what kind), how much mixed and how into it you are going to be. Some of the hardcore SPS'ers use one per foot and still supplement with T5s. Some think that three over a tank like yours is OK. Like the answer to almost every important question in life, the answer is on a sliding scale of "it depends."

Three is going to shadow a bit. However, you might not care depending on what you keep. Also, the output falls of quite a bit when you are not under the middle of the diodes. Again, you might not care since there are still some really cool corals that are perfectly happy with less light and you can just keep the super-high-light stuff under the middle parts of the lights.

If you go into the SPS forum, you can find threads from Wazzel who has four over his four foot tank. There are some others out there too, but most talk about adding more panels to their SPS tanks.

Bottom line is that only you can really decide if these three are enough for what you want to keep. Sure, you can add more later, but don't just blow that off like somehow they are free and you might not have chosen differently if you knew this to begin with.

I would not keep any maximas or corceas under those lights. As it turns out, the most magnificent clam IMO (the blue squamosa) are not high light clams and will probably do quite well.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
I would not keep any maximas or corceas under those lights. As it turns out, the most magnificent clam IMO (the blue squamosa) are not high light clams and will probably do quite well.
I would think it all depends on where it were placed. I have a T Noae under a "Black Box" LED for the last year, growing and looking great.

Unread 07/26/2017, 05:37 AM   #11
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
Might want to research those a bit more. I see the cases/shades for the lights, mounts etc they sell are all FFD 3D printed. And not the nicest prints from what they show, some filament is not very resistant to heat of any kind or UV light. I would def find out what materials they are using before buying.
I 3D print pieces for my work for the last 10 years, own 5 so I have tried quit a lot of various filaments.
You are right about the look of the case quality of the 3D printed case. I'm not a big fan either. I know they are working on getting new plastic cases made. I asked the owner and he said that the material he uses is able to withstand much higher temps (I don't remember the number because it was so high I really didn't carry that concern any further).

That said, I've had mine up and running about 3 months now and I've had zero issues. In fact, the ReeFi-Lab fixture replaced an Ocean Revive fixture and in about 2 weeks coral growth and RBTA health has improved to the point that it is very obvious to me and I'm not paying close attention.

Unread 07/30/2017, 07:50 AM   #12
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Thank you for all your advises , One problem with Reef Breeders I see is that not easy to add more .. But with AI Hydra52 or even the reefi-lab you can add more if you think your Current Setup is not enough .. that is one difference I see .

Unread 07/30/2017, 09:43 AM   #13
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I am not sure how this is a negative - buying enough the first time. Besides, it is not quite correct. Some of the hardcore light guys will add two - one in front and one in back and cover the whole top... some supplement their RBs with T5 or LED strips. Ron was working on something, or at least thinking about it, but I am not sure what he came up with.

Unread 07/30/2017, 09:53 AM   #14
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for all your advises , One problem with Reef Breeders I see is that not easy to add more .. But with AI Hydra52 or even the reefi-lab you can add more if you think your Current Setup is not enough .. that is one difference I see .
I don't follow your logic, you can add extra light as you want from any type or company all up to you and your wallet. lol
IMO I think if your keeps any SPS you need about 2X the LED fixtures normally recommended by the manufacturer. As jda said to cover the fill in the shaded area. I currently run 2 Hydra 26's over a 18" cube.

Unread 07/30/2017, 10:29 AM   #15
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Quote:
I don't follow your logic, you can add extra light as you want from any type or company all up to you and your wallet. lol
IMO I think if your keeps any SPS you need about 2X the LED fixtures normally recommended by the manufacturer. As jda said to cover the fill in the shaded area. I currently run 2 Hydra 26's over a 18" cube.
I am doing hanging the Fixture; I have no Conopy for me this mean , with 2 x ReefBreader 32 Inch fixture Once installed will be hard to add addition fixture if I find less light .. But with other Compact fixtures Additions are easier not sure if I am thinking right .. I think either will work ..

My Question is Is AI 52 better or Reefbreeder Or Kessi or ReefI , unable to decide yet .. I currently have 3 x 250 x MH and 4 x 80w T5 .. I am not liking the Cost of maintenance Before the MH I had DIY Leds Around 150 Crees of them .. Just FYI ..

Unread 07/30/2017, 10:36 AM   #16
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

You are going to need to add a fixture every foot to cover like your current lights do. If you do choose RB, then probably four fixtures to cover nearly the whole top.

You might not need as much light as you have now, so if downgrading output is what you are after then cool - this is easy and achievable. If you want to maintain the same level of output, then this is going to take a lot of fixtures where bulb changes look cheap.

Unread 07/30/2017, 10:39 AM   #17
nycman
Registered Member

I did extensive research earlier this year, considered the options you are, and chose the GHL Mitras LX7206s. Very happy with my choice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (76.5 KB, 64 views)
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 10:41 AM   #18
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
I am doing hanging the Fixture; I have no Conopy for me this mean , with 2 x ReefBreader 32 Inch fixture Once installed will be hard to add addition fixture if I find less light .. But with other Compact fixtures Additions are easier not sure if I am thinking right .. I think either will work ..

My Question is Is AI 52 better or Reefbreeder Or Kessi or ReefI , unable to decide yet .. I currently have 3 x 250 x MH and 4 x 80w T5 .. I am not liking the Cost of maintenance Before the MH I had DIY Leds Around 150 Crees of them .. Just FYI ..
Ok makes more sense. This is just my opinon, I would stick with the T5 and add either the 2-3 AI hydra or 2 Reefbreeder inbetween. You would have full control over all your LED spectrum with either I believe.

Unread 07/30/2017, 04:18 PM   #19
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman View Post
I did extensive research earlier this year, considered the options you are, and chose the GHL Mitras LX7206s. Very happy with my choice.
This looks good How are the Controls on the do we need separate controls or it included ?

Unread 07/30/2017, 04:23 PM   #20
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Quote:
Ok makes more sense. This is just my opinon, I would stick with the T5 and add either the 2-3 AI hydra or 2 Reefbreeder inbetween. You would have full control over all your LED spectrum with either I believe.
I have a Hamilton Fixture Currently which comes with T5 and MH .. hard to separate .. looks like neither the AI Hydra or the Reefbreeder are free of Issues looks like there are LED burnouts in an year or two ... still reading more threads

Unread 07/30/2017, 04:52 PM   #21
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I am no fan of LEDs on anything but the easiest SPS (montis, birdsnest, poci) and Clams, but they are pretty reliable if you do not totally cheap out. I would ABSOLUTELY keep that Hamilton in an instant rather than move to LEDs - I currently use all MH and feel that LEDs are still not even close in pure performance. However, burnouts are not a huge deal in totality. All of them will have a few diode failures and might need some work - heck if you ran 100 MH bulbs, one of them might fail in two years. The fixtures with US-based warranties have pretty good customer service (heard this, don't use them anymore) and will probably be aOK for you. I would also not let a few disgruntled folks ruin your opinion of a fixture - more people log on to complain than to give praise.

They all seem to have huge issues with the cases/lenes getting brown/black from UV light and dropping off and needing work. I don't think that anybody is immune to this.

One of the locals did take his MH bulbs out of his Cebu sun and put 3x Radions in the place to run with the T5s. About five or six months later, the MH bulbs were back on and Radions were sold, but it was a cool idea.

Unread 07/30/2017, 05:08 PM   #22
nycman
Registered Member

Quote:
This looks good How are the Controls on the do we need separate controls or it included ?
No need for separate controller. You can program them directly on the device, or use their software (downloadable) to schedule them using a program called LightComposer. This only runs on a PC - no Mac. Can also access the software via the internet/cloud, but I have not been able to get this to work yet. The cool thing about these lights is that the transition from one spectrum and intensity to the next one (that you have programmed in sequence) in one minute increments. So the blending of the sunrise to midday to sunset is literally once per minute so generally undetectable. Same with clouds - very subtle, unlike the thunderstorms which can be crazy violent.

nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 07:55 PM   #23
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a Hamilton Fixture Currently which comes with T5 and MH .. hard to separate .. looks like neither the AI Hydra or the Reefbreeder are free of Issues looks like there are LED burnouts in an year or two ... still reading more threads
LED's burn out in a year? Where are you seeing this?

Unread 07/30/2017, 08:50 PM   #24
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Quote:
LED's burn out in a year? Where are you seeing this?
Was reading other's post's may be vary rare

Unread 07/30/2017, 08:52 PM   #25
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
I am no fan of LEDs on anything but the easiest SPS (montis, birdsnest, poci) and Clams, but they are pretty reliable if you do not totally cheap out. I would ABSOLUTELY keep that Hamilton in an instant rather than move to LEDs - I currently use all MH and feel that LEDs are still not even close in pure performance. However, burnouts are not a huge deal in totality. All of them will have a few diode failures and might need some work - heck if you ran 100 MH bulbs, one of them might fail in two years. The fixtures with US-based warranties have pretty good customer service (heard this, don't use them anymore) and will probably be aOK for you. I would also not let a few disgruntled folks ruin your opinion of a fixture - more people log on to complain than to give praise.

They all seem to have huge issues with the cases/lenes getting brown/black from UV light and dropping off and needing work. I don't think that anybody is immune to this.

One of the locals did take his MH bulbs out of his Cebu sun and put 3x Radions in the place to run with the T5s. About five or six months later, the MH bulbs were back on and Radions were sold, but it was a cool idea.

Thank you, I wanted to keep it but the maintenance is high .. every 6 months replace 3 MH and 4 t5's