Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Luke Schnabel
Registered Member

Question Return pump advice/help

Hello Everyone!

I will be setting up my new tank soon. I will be having a 120 gallon display tank with duel rear corner overflows. My sump will be my old 75gallon tank in which I will convert. I'm thinking about buying two Mag-Drive Supreme 7's (700GPH). One will be a direct supply back into the tank and the other will be a pump for my Phosban Filter and any other thing I may hook up to it.

Your expert thoughts/advice would so I'm not going to purchase the wrong thing!

Thanks!!

Luke Schnabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2014, 04:39 PM   #2
maddmaxx
Registered Member

in theory that could work just fine for you... another thing to think about is. just simply buy a bigger pump, whether that be a bigger mag pump or other type of pump (a DC type of pump is good to look at ), with a bigger pump. you can plumb it to reactors. if you do a search on mainfolds, you will get some ideas. i soon will have a pump that will run as a return but also run a GFO reactor, a carbon reactor, and possibly a calcium reactor, all off of one pump..

mag drives give off a decent amount of heat, and they have a slight hum to them. i have a mag18 currently. dont notice it until your looking to hear it, but 2 mag pumps might be a lil louder. also the benefits of running one pump is less electricity, less cords, less pumps to maintain...

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2014, 04:42 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

For my 120 I used an eheim 1262. It has plenty of flow both for the tank and to run my carbon and gfo reactors. It will also outlast any other pump on the market (at least IME)

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Luke Schnabel
Registered Member

What flow should I be aiming for with 120 gallon main and 75 gallon sump? I can defiantly do the pluming work for one pump too.

Unread 03/23/2014, 08:59 PM   #5
tripleS
Registered Member

you can also go for Ehiem compact 3000 i am using its as a great flow

tripleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Fallling
Registered Member

I'm also running an eheim 1262 with split return for my 125. Additionally, I run another eheim 1262 on a closed loop. During the next big sales (such as Memorial Day or 4th of July sales), I'll likely upgrade at least one of them (maybe both) to eheim compact 3000 or 5000... the flow is adjustable and they'll take up much less space in the sump. I've been really happy with the eheim pumps. The other return I might consider is a waveline DC pump (gen 2)... I have a dc 4000 running all the other stuff (chiller, uv sterilizer, separate fuge) and find it's really quiet and low heat. The adjustable speed is a nice feature.

I know the mag pumps run hot... if summer temps are a concern (such as for myself living in southern CA with no central air), you may want to take that into consideration and find a pump that will run cooler.

Fallling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Luke Schnabel
Registered Member

Thanks for the support guys! I have chosen to buy two pumps for sure I just don't know what brand to get. I don't want too much/not enough flow.

My tank will be built into the wall of my theater room I'm working on at the moment in my basment. It generally stays cool in the summer with the AC on and winter it is definitely cooler!

Unread 03/24/2014, 04:19 PM   #8
danil
Registered Member

I would also advise to look into DC pump. They are more economical to run and you can adjust flow to your liking. Running one pump will give you less heat and noise and save some $$.

danil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
120, 75gallon, mag drive, return, sump