Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2017, 08:44 AM   #1
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Feather duster

Got a feather duster Friday and it looks really cool. My important other half loves it so I looked into more. There is a local place that has several with different types including spirals. My question I suppose is how many can we have? Do they have to go in the substrate?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 10:04 AM   #2
snowlynx
Registered Member

filter feeders, should not be much on bioload

I had one in the sand but they do move around if they are not happy
Yucky worm encased in a tube with a pretty feathery looking fan

like lot of women, looks are so deceiving

snowlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 11:04 AM   #3
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Bispira worms are great at dusting out the solids from your water. I do not think that there is a limit to how many you can have as such, actually.

If you get more than one they can come to the conclusion that your tank is the perfect habitat to create baby-dusters in and then they might spread fast. I only keep & encourage a colony of the small tubeless white type of bispria because I can then keep Vayssierea Felis (type of tiny nudibranch), and together with peanut worms, they act as a great cleanup crew. If I could have peanut worms in every tank I would never even consider snails, shrimps or crabs as cleanup crew because I honestly like the peanut worms much better.

Great looking tank btw., What is the thing in the middle? It looks beautiful, is that a sarcopython? I am not that into coral names as I am generally obsessed with Macrodactylas (LTA's) and my clownfishes.

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 12:23 PM   #4
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
Bispira worms are great at dusting out the solids from your water. I do not think that there is a limit to how many you can have as such, actually.

If you get more than one they can come to the conclusion that your tank is the perfect habitat to create baby-dusters in and then they might spread fast. I only keep & encourage a colony of the small tubeless white type of bispria because I can then keep Vayssierea Felis (type of tiny nudibranch), and together with peanut worms, they act as a great cleanup crew. If I could have peanut worms in every tank I would never even consider snails, shrimps or crabs as cleanup crew because I honestly like the peanut worms much better.

Great looking tank btw., What is the thing in the middle? It looks beautiful, is that a sarcopython? I am not that into coral names as I am generally obsessed with Macrodactylas (LTA's) and my clownfishes.
Thanks for the reply, my tank is only 94litre. It's my first go at reef. It's about 6 months old now and going ok. The coral you mentioned is a toadstool leather that was given to me by the seller of the tank. It survived being in the tank all through cycling, had a blip when it moulted. But now recovering and looking fab again.

Unread 10/15/2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

You're welcome. Ah that's a nice size, I do like smaller tanks, as I prefer dedicating aquariums to few species at a time.

Wow, that is pretty cool, it looks awesome to me.
It moulted? Really? There is so much to freak out over with marine livestock hosting, I mean, that would have caught me of guard as well. Did you have to remove moulted parts afterwards or what happened?

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 01:03 PM   #6
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
You're welcome. Ah that's a nice size, I do like smaller tanks, as I prefer dedicating aquariums to few species at a time.

Wow, that is pretty cool, it looks awesome to me.
It moulted? Really? There is so much to freak out over with marine livestock hosting, I mean, that would have caught me of guard as well. Did you have to remove moulted parts afterwards or what happened?
It sheds it skin to remove debris and whatever that build up on the flat surface. It just gets filtered out tbh. It has pretty much recovered now and as I said looks awesome when it's fully extended. At night it sort of shrinks back and changes shape. It is quite weird you never know what shape it will be from 9ne day to the next.

Unread 10/16/2017, 08:04 PM   #7
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I have one of those feather dusters as well.. it has already made a Lil duster...within the first 2 weeks.. looked just like it.. but tiny !! I have it in my fuge now.. but am gonna move the big one to the display and let the little one grow in the fuge

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:37 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Probably not ...... small feather dusters are very common. Much more likely to be a different species.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 04:35 PM   #9
rockhead51
Registered Member

Had 2 plus a Coco worm. The two featherdusters died after about 6 months. Coco worm is going strong. Both feather dusters had shed their crowns once and regrown.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Redseadragon12
In Memoriam

I'm not sure that there is a limit to how many feather dusters one can have lol

Redseadragon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 09:24 PM   #11
jlmawp
Registered Member

I'm not saying it's necessary, but I would recommend buying some zooplankton and spot-feeding the feather duster(s) maybe once a week. Mine seems to do fine without it, but when I do spot-feed, he rotates and clearly acknowledges the incoming plankton. Pretty sure it's something that can only help with them staying healthy.

Again, I think plenty of hem survive without it, but it's fairly inexpensive and it's clear to me that there is a physical reaction to the feeding.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 12:16 AM   #12
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmawp View Post
I'm not saying it's necessary, but I would recommend buying some zooplankton and spot-feeding the feather duster(s) maybe once a week. Mine seems to do fine without it, but when I do spot-feed, he rotates and clearly acknowledges the incoming plankton. Pretty sure it's something that can only help with them staying healthy.

Again, I think plenty of hem survive without it, but it's fairly inexpensive and it's clear to me that there is a physical reaction to the feeding.
I do add reef roids once or twice a week and definitely a reaction when I spot feed so will continue with that.