Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2017, 01:51 PM   #1
crabbydan
Registered Member

To Cure or not to cure?

I have a 20 gallon office tank with about 15 pounds of dry rock. I have a 5lb piece I want to take out clean and decide what to do with it later. In the meantime I have nuked cleaned whatever you want to call it to another 5lb piece. Nuked/cleaned = 45 minute acid bath, 1 day bleach soak, 1 week of sitting in a bucket with saltwater a heater and a power head. The reason for the switch is because I have shaped this new rock perfect for the space it is going to replace. Here is my question;

Can I just swap 5lbs for 5lbs out of 15lbs total or do I need to cure/cycle the new piece before it gets swapped?

What are your thoughts?

A million threads are out there on how to cure/clean/nuke/bake whatever, but i see no advice on just adding a new piece or swapping out about 25 to 33% of rock on an established tank.

By the way the tank has about 5 different patches of zoas, some pulsing zenias, long fin goby and candy pistol shrimp along with a few snails and 2 hermits a scarlet and a blue leg.

Last edited by crabbydan; 10/14/2017 at 01:59 PM.
crabbydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 01:57 PM   #2
crabbydan
Registered Member

Some shots of the new rock with a built in tunnel for the pistol shrimp also keeps rock from tipping over also has many plug holes ready for frags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 10/14/2017, 02:33 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

I'd just toss it in the tank and be done with it. It will become live soon enough

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 10:15 PM   #4
crabbydan
Registered Member

ok tomorrow I will do the swap. Hope any mini cycle is as small and short lived as possible.

Thanks for the advice!

Unread 10/15/2017, 01:06 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

It's a piece of clean, dry, rock. I wouldn't expect so much as a hiccup from your tank. It will quickly become colonized with denitrifying bacteria and become a welcome part of your biological filtration.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
Unread 10/16/2017, 01:17 PM   #6
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Everyone here is misinforming you. Don't use that piece. Immediately wrap it in plastic, pack in environmentally safe foam, and ship it to me!

Seriously though, just toss it in, it shouldn't have any ill-effects...

More seriously, send me that rock.

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 07:15 PM   #7
thegrun
Registered Member

I’ll take the other side of the argument, removing 1/3 of your live rock does present a risk that there will not be enough bacteria left to handle all your fish waste. The safest method would be to fist cycle the new rock.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 04:55 PM   #8
Troublekitty
Registered Member

Personally I would cure it before you put it in your tank. I put a piece of uncured dry rock in my tank and immediately after ended up with dinoflagellates. I can't say that was the cause but it's the only thing I had added in a while so it's the prime suspect. It took me two months to beat it and basically wiped my coral.

Troublekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:24 PM   #9
drysea
Registered Member

I am a little unclear about where the 5 pound piece that you want to add came from. Was it live before the acid bath? IF you are certain you have dead stuff ie no decay on the rock you could probably toss it in. If there is any chance that you could have dead bristle worms and such in the pores of the rock cycle it first.

drysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:37 PM   #10
monkeysee1
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd just toss it in the tank and be done with it. It will become live soon enough
^ +1
Absolutely right.
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get some PROBIDIO BIOCLEAN if you want to speed up the process a little bit and to get some nice coraline growing on it.

monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:56 PM   #11
jubei2006
Registered Member

Id cure it first. If its not completely rinsed of residual chemical (bleach, acid) it could really screw your tank chemistry. If all the organics haven't been removed, you could go through a new ammonia cycle which could be bad for live stock. I'd take the 5lb piece that's being removed anyway and cycle it with the new place in a separate container to speed things along

jubei2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 07:08 PM   #12
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

If your taking rock out to put the new "dry" rock in than you will see a difference. It has no ability to aid in the nitrogen cycle. So your loosing some of beneficial and filtering process that the live rock your removing is doing until the rock your replacing it with becomes live.

If your simply adding new "dry" rock than no I'll effect should happen. Key word should.

ssgss gogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 08:21 AM   #13
crawlerman
Registered Member

If you already have it siting in a bucket of saltwater, just test that water for ammonia. If no ammonia then you should be fine to toss it in.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 12:23 AM   #14
crabbydan
Registered Member

I threw it in. Since I have other rock in the tank I wasn't too worried about a mini cycle. The new rock is getting some diatoms but the rfest of the tank looks fine. Also the only inhabitants (Candy Cane pistol shrimp and a 3/4 inch long high fin goby) sem fine. Will add a picture shortly.

Unread 10/26/2017, 10:20 AM   #15
crabbydan
Registered Member

Unread 10/26/2017, 10:25 AM   #16
crabbydan
Registered Member

Unread 10/26/2017, 02:55 PM   #17
billdogg
Registered Member

Nice! That looks really good in there.

Unread 10/28/2017, 12:17 AM   #18
crabbydan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyLong View Post
Everyone here is misinforming you. Don't use that piece. Immediately wrap it in plastic, pack in environmentally safe foam, and ship it to me!

Seriously though, just toss it in, it shouldn't have any ill-effects...

More seriously, send me that rock.
First thought was oh no... then moments later I laughed out loud.