Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Kubi
Registered Member

motor block 1000 vs 1500

after being shipped the wrong motor block I am being told by RE that the MBK 1000 is the same motor block as the MBK 1500. Can I have your input please?

Thanks

Kubi

Current Tank Info: something to look at
Kubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 08:28 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubi View Post
after being shipped the wrong motor block I am being told by RE that the MBK 1000 is the same motor block as the MBK 1500. Can I have your input please?

Thanks

Kubi
What skimmer model is this block for? If this is for a Mini Bubble King 180 or an older Mini Bubble King 200, the RD1000 is the correct current block for that skimmer. The original (older) blocks had the 1500 label but the motors are in fact the same internally and are now labeled differently for that skimmer. The magic is in the impeller/volute.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2017, 08:47 AM   #3
Kubi
Registered Member

I had to run the skimmer with the MBK 1000 a few weeks before I could respond back. The skimmer seems to be working properly all for the exception that I had to close the the water level valve more. In all theory this causes the pump to work harder which can lead to premature failure on $200 plus motor. So the modification on the new gens Mini BK where made to the specs ( impeller/volute) of the the old gens to except a smaller motor block?

Unread 03/04/2017, 09:37 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Increasing the water level by closing the wedge pipe will not make the pump work harder nor will it cause premature failure. Premature failure is caused by a lack of maintenance with these pumps where calcium builds up inside the block and creates friction on the shaft. The water level will have no bearing on the longevity of the pump. None whatsoever. We still never established which model skimmer you have.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 03/04/2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Kubi
Registered Member

I am bad. I have the 1st gen Mini BK200. 3rd pump in the last 6 or 7 years. I bought it when they 1st were released and I down sized tanks. Previous skimmer was a SM250 which I never had any issues with. I do the same maintenance as I have done in past almost 20yrs. In fact I have a Tunze return pump installed the same time as the mini bk200. Never an issue with that pump and still running strong. How long should the MBK 1000 last with proper care and maintenance?

Unread 03/04/2017, 10:47 AM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubi View Post
I am bad. I have the 1st gen Mini BK200. 3rd pump in the last 6 or 7 years. I bought it when they 1st were released and I down sized tanks. Previous skimmer was a SM250 which I never had any issues with. I do the same maintenance as I have done in past almost 20yrs. In fact I have a Tunze return pump installed the same time as the mini bk200. Never an issue with that pump and still running strong. How long should the MBK 1000 last with proper care and maintenance?
They will last indefinitely. That is about one of the best AC blocks ever made. We have customers with those blocks that are well over 10 years. I always suggest quarterly maintencance. If you take them completely apart ever 4-5 months and soak the block, impeller and bearing in household white vinegar for 10 minutes. Then give them a good scrub inside and out using a soft dish brush followed by a rinse, they won't fail you. They will last indefinitely. There is a bearing at the bottom of the block that should also be removed and cleaned. That bearing supports the impeller shaft and buildup inside the bearing will create friction on the impeller which can overheat the block. It's the most common overlooked item when it comes to routine maintenance is the number one cause of premature failure. I suggest not putting the o-rings in the vinegar though. See post 2 of this thread. It discusses the bearing removal and installation. FWIW, the entire process of cleaning the pumps takes me a total of about 15 minutes including the 10 minute soak time. My pumps always look line new inside and out when I am done. It's really simple to do but it is important to take it completely apart. Some go longer on the maintenance intervals but getting in the habit of regular maintenance can go a long way in saving money. The old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind.

That said, if you have the first gen MBK200 which is the VS07 model, then the MBK1000 is the correct block for that skimmer/impeller combo and will actually perform better than the 1500 block. The 1500 was included with the Mini Bubble King 200 VS09 model which used a slightly different needle wheel and a heavier impeller shaft. My guess is that the last block you ordered was the wrong block. Either way, this one is the correct block for the first gen Mini Bubble King 200. Heck, even if you had the Mini Bubble King VS09 model, the MBK1000 is just fine. It will give you a bit better contact time which isn't a bad thing since it will allow the skimmer to perform more efficiently and remove more DOC's in a single pass. The MBK 1500 will also work fine but requires a slight adjustment to the water level as you have already seen. 6 of this, a half a dozen of the other.

Unread 10/17/2017, 03:41 PM   #7
Kubi
Registered Member

Pm sent