Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2016, 05:50 PM   #251
Spar
Registered Member

What method of QT did you take? Just observation, or did you do TTM, Copper or Hypo? Describe the process, length, etc.

Have you added any non-fallow treated wet non-fish recently (last few months)?

I personally would not jump to conclusions until you see the white spots. There are many reasons why the Hippo may be flashing on rocks. Could be defensive.

How large of a tank do you have?

There is no reef safe remedy for Ich unfortunately. If you do have Ich and you want to remove it, then you will have to remove the fish, treat them with [in order of preference] TTM, Copper or Hypo, and leave your main tank fallow/fishless for 72 days.

Unread 08/12/2016, 10:41 AM   #252
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

It might be an ich indicator; it could be something else. I'd watch the tang an the other fish closely for a while . Are any of the tangs fighting
If it is crptocaryon irritans ,there really is no reef safe way to erradicate it form the tank short of keeping a fishless tank for 72 days. Some suggest ich strains may have a life limit without introducing new strains but that limit is anywhere from 11 months to a couple of years based on my experience and reports I've read.(see post 225) Coping methods folks try include; no new fish , stable parameters, good nutrition, uv sterilization.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 10:11 AM   #253
Vinno
Registered Member

Fish stock.
-Yellow tang *Ich*
-Cole Tangs *Ich*
-2x clowns fish
-2x chromis
-2x Ignitus Anthias

Got a aquaclear hang on filter / heater around + tank.

What are two top copper medicine brands to look to buy? (asking for two just in case ones not available here)

Now do i put any bio balls on my filter or after treatment? since i would need to do copper treatment then let them live here until my display tank is 70+ days without fish?

If above so, how to run a cycle after treatment if fish still in QT?

Will need to start tomorrow, yellow tang is rubbing itself and swimming funny.

Thanks alot.

Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 11:20 AM   #254
CindyK
Registered Member

I've found a few seemingly respectable, albeit old, references that state that hyposalinity works to eradicate C. irritans. It seems likely that these references predate the knowledge of strains that are resistant to this treatment, though. I've also found a few articles that describe the life cycle of the parasite that would lead me to believe that TTM SHOULD work.

What I can't find are studies that show that TTM does, in fact, work. Lots of opinions, no studies. Can anyone point me to one, please?

Thanks much.

CindyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 09:45 AM   #255
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Colorni, A. 1987. Biology of Cryptocaryon irritans and strategies for its control Aquaculture 67: 236–237.

There it is . Can't find a free link to the book though.

FWIW, I've used it for many years now. I also like the acclimation advantages it affords for new specimens. This thread may be of interest if you are considering it:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...+tank+transfer

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 09/01/2016, 11:33 AM   #256
CindyK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Colorni, A. 1987. Biology of Cryptocaryon irritans and strategies for its control Aquaculture 67: 236–237.

There it is . Can't find a free link to the book though.

FWIW, I've used it for many years now. I also like the acclimation advantages it affords for new specimens. This thread may be of interest if you are considering it:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...+tank+transfer
Thank you! If the article isn't available online I can probably get it through the library at work.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef under construction, 32 gal Biocube softies
CindyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 09:47 PM   #257
aquavision
Registered Member

Oh man the ich!!! I have been successful with hypo salinity! Took a while and was tedious, but worked.

aquavision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2016, 08:44 AM   #258
Donivan2009
Registered Member

It's entirely accurate that each reefer will have different methods and preferences when treating ich. I'm new to the marine side and have only dealt with ich in my freshwater tanks once. In that instance I removed the affected fish at first signs and put him into a medicated hospital tank until he recovered.
However only 2 months into my first saltwater tank and one of my damsels looks to have ich. I wanted to do the FW dip but catching the little guy in a 90 gallon corner bow front is proving extremely difficult and stressful for him and his 2 tank mates. As the infection looks minor, I'm thinking about leaving him in the aquarium. Im slowly dropping the SG a bit for a couple weeks and trying everything I can without chemicals. I've been having the worst anxiety over it. I don't want it to spread out of control or kill any of them. I'm really attached to them already. But if things don't improve or get worse, I will have to make the call as to whether removing the fish would be in the best interest of the fish, after all thats one of the most imporant points.

Donivan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2016, 07:51 PM   #259
DocLiette
Registered Member

Display has ich- please help

My fault for not quarantining a new fish.

Question, will removing my fish to a quarantine tank and treating them, leaving the display fishless for 2 months, cause any ill effects to the nitrifying bacteria I the live rock?? Since there's nothing to stimulate the "cycle"???

DocLiette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2016, 12:32 AM   #260
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

You could add a lbit of food to the tank . It will provide ammonia nitrogen and other nutrients as it degrades;just like fish waste does.

Unread 09/26/2016, 11:29 AM   #261
Anthony357
Registered Member

ich sucks!

Anthony357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2016, 01:43 AM   #262
vsalil
Registered Member

Hi Guys, I have a 66 gallon RSM 250 for the last 6 months. I had an ich outbreak 2 months back.I did hyposalinity in the Dt but when it didnt work, I did fallow for 8 weeks.When I put the fish back,they got ich again when I introduced a new fish.This time,instead of going fallow, I used Kick Ich for 2 weeks with a UV sterilizer and good feeding and water chemistry.I even used a tiny amount of chloroquine in the fish food.The fish fully recovered especially the blue tang.Now I have it again after introducing a PB tang which was very agressive.I have removed the PB tang and returned it to the LFS. I tried the chloroquine but it doesnt seem to work. Should I try the Kick Ich to see if it works again as removing the fish would mean dismantling all the live rocks and corals?

vsalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 06:03 PM   #263
n3now
Registered Member

I just went through a kick ich cycle and my reef tank didn't seem to suffer any I'll effects. My Blue Tang has recovered beautifully so far. I'm sold on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

n3now is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 10:11 AM   #264
tang named junkyard
Registered Member

I've been in the game for 30 years. I've tried it all. The only thing that has proven to work for me time and time again is ginger powder. I put some in the water and on the food.

tang named junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 09:46 AM   #265
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Ginger is not useful IMO; no plasible reason to think reason to think so

Unread 02/18/2017, 09:03 AM   #266
tang named junkyard
Registered Member

Actually you are wrong. Ginger is used to treat intestinal stomach parasites in humans. You don't have to believe me but every time I've ever had ich I've used ginger with 100% success. Everything else outside copper is junk. Read this on ginger. http://www.naturalnews.com/037609_gi...es_nausea.html

'5. Ginger helps clear out intestinal worms, parasites. If you suffer from chronic digestive pain or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), there is a chance the source of this discomfort is intestinal worms or parasites, which may also be stealing nutrients from the foods you eat. If this is the case, a great way to naturally rid yourself of these foreign invaders is to supplement with ginger.

Unread 02/18/2017, 12:25 PM   #267
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Silly stuff. Not useful for ich. It and other homeopathic panaceas have been discussed ad nauseum on other several other threads.

The only thing that has proven to work for me time and time again is ginger powder.

If it actually erradicated ich; it would come back

Copper is one treatment .Tank transfer is very effective as well .To erradicate it from a tank requires a 72 day fishless period.

Last edited by tmz; 02/18/2017 at 12:38 PM.
Unread 02/18/2017, 07:20 PM   #268
tang named junkyard
Registered Member

maybe I'm just lucky.

Unread 03/05/2017, 04:26 AM   #269
evoque335i
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang named junkyard View Post
I've been in the game for 30 years. I've tried it all. The only thing that has proven to work for me time and time again is ginger powder. I put some in the water and on the food.
so i am in the procces of ich and new tank i been doing ginger powder and garlic soak food plus ginger sprinkle ginger in tank .its a myths doesn't hurt anything to try .i do see it does help but its not a cure on day 5 plus herbtanna will give this a go till my new tank is ready to transfer all invert and corals leave fallow for 8 weeks , then cuppramine or hypo the old tank let me see this myths work or not.in 10-15 day from now i well continues to soak food with garlic ginger powder and vitamins like selcon and vitachem sprinkles in tank with giner powder we will see how it goes. no matter what my new tank will go fallow for 2 months and cuppramine 1 by 1 before they enter the new tanks i did started a thread for advice ill update this myths see if it work after 10-15 if it even help or false

evoque335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 03:57 PM   #270
endorium
Registered Member

I read on here a lot of people still using copper as treatment.
As far as I know the much better treatment nowadays is Chloroquine Phosphate.

I myself have used this and it kills ich plus a lot of other things. Flukes I believe it does not kill so separate treatment with a prazi product is recommended (Tremazol is my choice).

Ginger/garlic has minimal if any effect and has been proven to be very bad for fishes livers.

endorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 04:00 PM   #271
endorium
Registered Member

Also just to add to the above, Chloroquine Phosphate is in Avloclor malaria tablets (155mg per tablet). Maximum dose I would go to be safe is one tablet per 15 litres of water. Leave then for 20 days.

endorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 11:59 PM   #272
MLOPEZ
Registered Member

Treating ick in reef tank also high nitrates

Hello can anyone help me my question can I use d nitrate to lower nitrates while using polyp lab medic for treating ick?

MLOPEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 10:52 PM   #273
Wally.B
Registered Member

I dug through this thread. Maybe not enough.

What is the success rate using Polyp Lab Medic?
Company web site has reef owner stories of success, but that is ADs for company.

Waste of Money? Or works for some?

I have a Power Brown Tang that has Ich after being in QT then introducted to Live Rock, and Coral Loaded 90 Gal Tank (no SPS).

No other fish shows ich. (3x Blue Green Chromis, 1x HawkFish, 1x Algae Blenny).

Started about 2 weeks ago.
He is active, eating, swims happy all day, No scratching, but starting to breathe fast. Showing white ich Spots as shown below.

Since he is eating well, and loves pellets, I got some New Life Spectrum Ick Shield Pellets which he eats twice a day. Hoping he can fight it off on his own.

I can't catch him, and even if I do, I can't catch the Algae Blenny since he doen't eat food, he finds his food scraping Algae in Tank. Thus can't bait a Fish Trap.
So basically can't run Tank Fallow (with one fish left). Can't tear apart a 15 year old mature Coral Glued tank.

I have read all the methods, Copper, TTM, Hydrogen Peroxide, etc (But to use any, must catch him. Ain't easy)

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 11:38 PM   #274
Wally.B
Registered Member

I've been digging all over the Internet about the Polyp Lab Medic product..
Mixed messages.

Sound like this stuff controls the Ich, but never eliminates it as I thought.
I see excuses like not using the product long enough, or not strong enough. Just excuses.

There is no solution other than methods like Tank Transfer, and then Fallow the tank.

I am surprised a Company like Polyp Labs who make super products like Reef Roids, and Booster would take a chance on ruining their reputation selling a "Snake Oil".

And if really worked, people like me would document the treatment, by taking photo's of fish, and show results along the way, after a long period afterwards to show ick didn't come back.
I see nothings to support the product working (real proof).

Unread 09/16/2017, 12:29 AM   #275
Wally.B
Registered Member

Summary of my ICH Research (my Interpretation):

0)-ICH is a big problem in the Fish Industry and if there was easy cure the inventor would be instant multi-Millionare (Nobody have become an Instant Millionaire Yet)
1a)- Most Fish have ICH because all suppliers have some fish with ICH
1b)- A fish can host ICH parasite, but not show signs (Could be in Gills)
2)- ICH is controlled (hide ICH) by Fish Stores by having some Copper in their Fish System (doesn't mean that some fish don't have ICH)
3)- Tank Transfer Method works. All fish have to be removed from tank, and Tank has to go through Fallow to rid of Tank of ICH before putting fish back.
4a)- Copper Treatments work (but can be deadly)
4b)- Hydrogen Peroxide helps fish relieve symptom of ich, thus helps fish fight off ich, but H.P. doesn't cure ICH.
5)- Scaled and Thick Skinned Fish resist ICH better than Thin Skin Fish
6a)- Products like Polyp Lab Medic don't claim to get rid of ICH it's just control like (2)
6b)- There are post, videos with people using Medic but they most end as dead ends with no confirmation of success (A year later)
7)- Some fish can fight off ICH but tank may still have it (it never show up)
8)- A stressed Fish or Fish with lowered Immune system can all of a sudden ICH
9)- Even if you QT fish and treat them, and you don't QT Corals, Coral can introduce ICH
10)-Adjacent tanks like mine (with mist in the air) can transfer ICH between each other
11a)-A eating fish, can resist ICH better and possibly fight off ICH
11b)-Pellets like Ich Guard can help the fish to fight ICH off, but no guarantee. It just helps.