Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Dakbur
Registered Member

Angelfish Breeding

I plan on trying to breed some Fisher angel's and to learn more about their reproduction and to try and successfully rear some fry. I am getting two pairs from a source on the west coast who gets the direct from the collector. They will be kept in two 29 gallons as a pair and will be the only fish in those tanks. The tank will be bare bottom, Live Rock and Sponge filters will be used as the main filtration with a HoB filter for water movement. LED lights will be used to simulate a natural environment. I may add some hermits or snails as a clean up crew and utilize a biweekly water change schedule of 10%. This thread is a notepad for me to record my progression and spread the knowledge that I gain from this endeavor with other hobbyists.
If anyone else has an recommendations for this system, I would love to hear them. Thanks for reading my Thread!
PS. If anyone has any information that will be helpful to me please inbox me.

Dakbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Dakbur
Registered Member

Here's is the systems that I will be utilizing for the Angels.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1380.jpg (52.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1381.jpg (55.9 KB, 48 views)
Unread 02/03/2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Dakbur
Registered Member

Anyone have any suggestions?

Unread 02/03/2017, 03:52 PM   #4
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Not an expert, but... I thought that Angels need a deeper (top to bottom) tank for successful spawning

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2017, 04:41 PM   #5
Dakbur
Registered Member

The research that i have completed on C. fisheri supports a height of between 18 and 20 inches (top to bottom) for successful spawning to occur. I have looked into the height that was used by Karen in her system's and it was 20 inches for C. ficheri, so I am attempting to see if the lower range of successful heights can be utilized due to the stand and space that i had available. I have also spoke with other hobbyists in regards to this issue and they agree that 18 inches should be optimal for successful spawning of C. fisheri in 29 gallon aquariums.

Unread 02/24/2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Dakbur
Registered Member

So I tried to pair up some Bicolor Angels that were between an inch and an inch and a half. The behavior between the two was non-aggressive but they were never interested in any type of food source provided to them. This was their downfall and perished four and five days into QT. The were sourced from the Bali region of Indonesia which could be an indication of collection practices but I do not know if it could have been a factor in their demise. If any on has any future suggestions, I am all ears.

Unread 02/24/2017, 12:52 PM   #7
albano
SALTWATER since '73

I can't think of many people that have had success with bicolors, even without adding pairing and breeding

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Dakbur
Registered Member

I have some success keeping single Bicolor but there place of origin was Fiji, so I am thinking that the PoO is the issue.

Unread 03/01/2017, 09:29 AM   #9
Arc Katana
Registered Member

One thing you're going to want is a way to collect the eggs for you. Otherwise you'll have to be there from the start of dusk until they spawn, let them spawn, and collect the eggs manually.

Google breeding flame angelfish, you should find the pdf which should work for any Centropyge.

Unread 03/01/2017, 11:45 AM   #10
Dakbur
Registered Member

Does the paper include orchid dottybacks? Trying to make sure I am looking at the same paper.

Unread 03/01/2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Arc Katana
Registered Member

Not that I can remember, it was just about Flame Angels. Search for this:

"breeding flame angelfish pdf" in google, it is the first one that pops up. Author is CKCallan.

Unread 03/01/2017, 06:16 PM   #12
Dakbur
Registered Member

That is the correct paper I am referring to. I think I am just going to stick with the Fisheri species for now once I receive my pairs from a well known importer.

Unread 03/04/2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Dakbur
Registered Member

I was told that I will have a pair of Fisheri available this coming week and possibly a second pair of Fisheri or a pair of Coral Beauties available from a supplier.

Unread 03/09/2017, 06:53 AM   #14
Dakbur
Registered Member

The supplier has a pair of Multicolor Angels that were collected as a pair, so I may also include them in this study. Anyone have any information on the survivability of Centropyge multicolor? Also tomorrow is the expected arrival date for the Fisheri pair but also the multicolor pair if it's the right $.

Unread 03/10/2017, 09:10 PM   #15
Dakbur
Registered Member

I just love it when UPS tells you they lost your live fish package during transit and then tell you that you have to wait 24 hours before you can put in a lost package review.

Unread 03/13/2017, 04:50 PM   #16
Dakbur
Registered Member

So for an update, UPS apparently found them over night Friday and I received them Saturday Morning. I ordered two pairs of Centropyge fisheri and when I received them out of the bag they looked like they would not have made it another hour in the bag. I acclimated them and they have not looked back ever since. I will upload some picture soon.

Unread 03/22/2017, 09:01 AM   #17
Dakbur
Registered Member

So for an update, I have lost one of the pairs of Finsheri's due to the stress of the delay. But there is light at the end of these tunnel. I selected a pair of flame angels to substitute for a lost pair but also got two pairs of clown fish as well. One was a pair of black Ocellaris's and pair of black saddle-back clown fish to test a hybrid system. Sorry will have pictures for sure within the next three days.