Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2016, 07:04 AM   #26
president89
Registered Member

The water in your tank in that picture is not tinted enough

president89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 07:25 AM   #27
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by president89 View Post
The water in your tank in that picture is not tinted enough
Perhaps because I diluted it by adding some new saltwater last night. Doing a 10% water change today. Im trying to stay as close to 2-3 drops of RG Complete per gallon as possible. That's what Reed Mariculture recommended.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 09:45 AM   #28
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I did 10% water change this morning and tinted the water. Based on the amount of time and work I've put in so far, I will probably be able to breed 4-6 clutches per year, if that. It's fun though.

Unread 08/31/2016, 10:06 AM   #29
D-Nak
Registered Member

It's a little more manageable with less water in the tank. I usually keep about 5 gallons of water and add more after meta. Of course, this means less stability with less water, but it also means that the babies will have an easier time finding rotifers.

Unread 08/31/2016, 11:05 AM   #30
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
It's a little more manageable with less water in the tank. I usually keep about 5 gallons of water and add more after meta. Of course, this means less stability with less water, but it also means that the babies will have an easier time finding rotifers.
That's what I'll do next time. I'm currently using a 5.5 gallon tank by Aqueon I picked up at Petsmart. I'm taking notes on how I could be more efficient next time because this project has taken a lot more time than I thought it would. However, caring for larvae and culturing rotifers has its own spiritual rewards, physical challenges notwithstanding.

Unread 08/31/2016, 11:33 AM   #31
OrionN
Moved on

After 2 weeks, it get easier, not have to worry about rotifers, unless you want to have new patches. However, once they get older, then keep up with the water change will be a problem. Don't try to raise more than 50-100 at a time. I swear not to have anymore than 100 baby clowns at a time. Too much work and not able to get them moving.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 02:38 PM   #32
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
After 2 weeks, it get easier, not have to worry about rotifers, unless you want to have new patches.
Yes culturing rotifers is time and money consuming. i wish had room to culture my own phytoplankton for rotifers because they require so much feeding everyday. Between two containers with rotifers, one small (6 oz) bottle of RG Complete has not even lasted me for this batch. So I ordered a bigger bottle.
I can't wait for post-meta to see some colors and shut down one of the rotifer culture buckets.

Unread 08/31/2016, 05:44 PM   #33
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

A little behind the scene look at my breeding project. First pic is the larvae tank, 5.5 gallon Aqueon with a pump and a 25 W heater. The light is a cheap LED desk lamp from Walmart. Also in first pic is rotifer station #1 which is a 2.5 gallon pet food container from Target. Up until 20 mins ago it was a 5 gallon orange bucket from Home Depot but I got a little tired of it and decided to replace it.
Pic 2 is rotifer station #2 which has been running since I first harvested station #1 about 5 days ago. I'm trying to keep everything as simple and as clean as possible. The tank and the rotifer stations are airated by separate Tetra Whisper Model 10 pumps.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 08/31/2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added image
Unread 09/01/2016, 01:18 PM   #34
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here's a link to the study of use of probiotics in clownfish breeding:
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/298/2/R359.long

Unread 09/01/2016, 09:58 PM   #35
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The clowns laid eggs today. It's a big and orange clutch. Heavy TDO feeding is definitely helping them with it but my corals are suffering due to algae growth.

Unread 09/02/2016, 03:31 PM   #36
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

5 days post hatch
They are bigger; have become better and more aggressive rotifer hunters. Only a few of them are coming up to water surface for TDO A pellets/powder but that's a good start

Unread 09/03/2016, 09:22 PM   #37
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I'm happy to report that there haven't been any losses in the last 48 hours. I need all the wiggle room I can get for meta period. I've heard it can be brutal on larvae.

Unread 09/04/2016, 05:26 AM   #38
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I'm happy to report that there haven't been any losses in the last 48 hours. I need all the wiggle room I can get for meta period. I've heard it can be brutal on larvae.
I did not think so, only loss I had was the first 2 night, after that everything live. About how may do you have right now?

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/04/2016, 07:20 AM   #39
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I did not think so, only loss I had was the first 2 night, after that everything live. About how may do you have right now?
I have about 40 of them now and hoping for minimal losses during meta.

Unread 09/04/2016, 05:45 PM   #40
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

They have grown a lot, 7 days old

Unread 09/04/2016, 10:46 PM   #41
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Unread 09/05/2016, 09:35 PM   #42
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

One unlucky guy got caught in coffee filter during feeding. One casualty from coffee filter. Not considering a sieve yet. They look bigger and have more fish like appearance. I've noticed tail curling, a little more aggression and slower swimming speed. I think they are in meta.

Unread 09/07/2016, 02:17 PM   #43
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

there was a massive explosion of rotifers in the hatch tank and I had to do a 20% water change this morning to remove some of them. Also, there were 4-5 small worms that looked like bristle worms in the hatch tank. One reason I didn't let the flowerpot overnight for hatching was I knew that there were all kinds of hitchhikers on it.
The recently hatched clowns are still going through meta gradually. Their gradual meta fits the description of Ocellaris clowns in Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes.
Worms:

Unread 09/07/2016, 11:34 PM   #44
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I was checking on the baby clowns and caught this guy on camera. He's pretty cute and funny. 10 days old.

Unread 09/08/2016, 03:59 AM   #45
OrionN
Moved on

The worms won't cause any problem for the fish.

Unread 09/08/2016, 04:33 AM   #46
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I was checking on the baby clowns and caught this guy on camera. He's pretty cute and funny. 10 days old.
he's not doing anything.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 08:00 AM   #47
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

About 5 or 6 of them are starting to show their first stripes (headbands). They are barely visible but they are there.

Unread 09/08/2016, 09:01 AM   #48
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here's a vid of one of the clowns with a headband. He's the one being hosted by a suction cup; left side of the cup. The video isn't great quality and may require you to view it full size.

Unread 09/08/2016, 09:36 AM   #49
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
he's not doing anything.
You don't find his posing cute?
You must be one of those guys who likes to watch dancing cat videos on YouTube.
Totally messing with you

Unread 09/08/2016, 05:06 PM   #50
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote