Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2018, 06:49 AM   #1
Bellhavensh
Registered Member

Clown fish is losing its color

Please help! Our clownfish we’ve had for over a month now, and bought them as a pair. They have seemed to do pretty well until yesterday when we noticed he smaller one was staying toward ge back of the tank. I noticed his tail had turned white, and you could almost see through it. We checked our chemicals which were in the normal range, but did a water change just in case. Last night his color seemed to back to normal. However this morning his color is completely gone I’m his tail and now on his belly. He is not eating and again is staying in the same spot. I can’t tell if he’s sick or if he’s being picked on. I really don’t want to lose this fish, but we don’t really know where to go around here for help! I attached a picture so everyone can see!

Bellhavensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 07:33 AM   #2
praveen956
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellhavensh View Post
Please help! Our clownfish we’ve had for over a month now, and bought them as a pair. They have seemed to do pretty well until yesterday when we noticed he smaller one was staying toward ge back of the tank. I noticed his tail had turned white, and you could almost see through it. We checked our chemicals which were in the normal range, but did a water change just in case. Last night his color seemed to back to normal. However this morning his color is completely gone I’m his tail and now on his belly. He is not eating and again is staying in the same spot. I can’t tell if he’s sick or if he’s being picked on. I really don’t want to lose this fish, but we don’t really know where to go around here for help! I attached a picture so everyone can see!

Sorry about that.. im afraid it might be Brooklynella which is a deadly disease.. but please wait for someone else to confirm as im not sure.. in any case, its best if you act quickly.. you have to setup a qt asap.. goto a local petstore like petsmart or petco and get below items:
1. 10 gallon tank
2 heater
3 airstone and pump for circulation.. if you have a small power head , use it..
4. Ph raiser(for freshwater dip)
5 couple of pvc pipes for hiding ( optional)

Setup qt and catch the fish and do a freshwater dip . Check online how to do that.. put the fish in qt..
next if you confirm it is indeed brrok, then you need Formaldehyde but you cannot get it locally.. check with lfs if they have it or order it online

If it is not brrok, treat the qt with copper and prazipro and hope for the best.. good luck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

praveen956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Bellhavensh
Registered Member

Ok thank you. My husband just left to go buy stuff for a quarantine tank. Any recommendations to help keep the other clown from getting it?

Bellhavensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 12:13 PM   #4
praveen956
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellhavensh View Post
Ok thank you. My husband just left to go buy stuff for a quarantine tank. Any recommendations to help keep the other clown from getting it?

Its upto you if you want to treat the other wish as well just to be sure.. as long as the other fish is eating, i will personally leave it without treatement as these medications are hard on the fish as well..

I lost my first ever saltwater fish(clown as well) to brook even though he was in qt( but I didn’t had any medications at the time)..

Nowadays i qt all the new fish for 4 weeks with prazi pro and copper and i haven’t had any issues with diseases since.. i will recommend you do the same..

Monitor other fishes in the qt for any signs of disease..

Btw, once the clown fish was sitting idle for a couple of days without eating and it it started eating and behaving well again for no reason.. clowns are weird that way.. but mine didn’t had color loss during those 2 days..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

praveen956 is offline   Reply With Quote