Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2018, 08:24 PM   #1
Glowy01
Registered Member

Goniopora

I have been reefing for over a year now, and have been pretty successful at keeping corals. I just bought a beautiful Goniopora frag for $24.99. The shop owner told me that he hadn't been giving it any special attention, though I'm sure he at least used filter feeding food. I bought some Reef Roids and I have heard good things. So now for the questions,
1. How can I determine the species? I will try to include an image.
2. How can I tell if they are happy?
3. What is the formula for long term success with these? Low nutrients? Feeding? Something else?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (39.0 KB, 197 views)
Glowy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 06:24 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2

Unread 03/02/2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Tripod1404
Registered Member

It looks like a goniopora pandoranis. I am not sure if it is written like this . If it is fully expanding, it means it is happy. Check for tissue recession as it can sometimes have tissue recession while the rest of the coral looks normal.

My experience with Gonis is that they require more nitrate and phosphate than most LPS corals. I nature they are found in lagoons, so it would explain this requirement. That is an issue in an aquarium because it causes algae. It also makes them hard to keep with any SPS coral (and some LPS) since they are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Feeding is definitely a way to get around this although I am not sure how much of it is eating and how much of it is just absorbing the resulting N and P.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 06:38 PM   #4
BeachBumm
Registered Bumm

Do not keep it too close to that frog spawn , it will sting it .

BeachBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 04:45 PM   #5
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

I have a goniopora in my tank and it has been happy and healthy for a long time. They are pretty picky with the water quality but they do like some nutrients in the tank. In the wild, they live in very nutrient rich water. I recommend medium to high flow, medium light. I would also feed them very small particulate foods multiple times a week (I just feed reef roids). They are very aggressive corals, so i would keep it away from other corals in the tank as it could sting them. If you have a clownfish in the tank they will probably try to host it but this often results in the goniopora closing up.

gonioporagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 09:02 PM   #6
fishing guide
Registered Member

A306BF01-D467-4E09-B0E0-F49613520535.jpg

Too close to the Hammer!

fishing guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 03:18 AM   #7
Shanet
Registered Member

Pretty sure it's an Alveopora sp. I had one years ago and killed it when I put a bio reactor inline to my tank. I have been looking for one ever since but is hard to get them in Oz. They love dirty tanks (high nutrient)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alveopora

Current Tank Info: 180g - Regal Angel, Majestic Angel, Emperor Angel, Flame Angel pair, Flame Hawk.
Shanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 05:50 AM   #8
ClownNut
Registered Member

looks like goni to me.
easy to tell the 2.
alveopora 12 fingers
goniopora 24 fingers

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanet View Post
Pretty sure it's an Alveopora sp. I had one years ago and killed it when I put a bio reactor inline to my tank. I have been looking for one ever since but is hard to get them in Oz. They love dirty tanks (high nutrient)

Its a goni, not an alveo.

Alveopora are easier to take car of compared to goni.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 06:57 AM   #10
shrimpman_oz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanet View Post

i see Alveopora sp all the time in sydney

shrimpman_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 06:50 PM   #11
Shanet
Registered Member

looks like I have to go to Sydney.

Current Tank Info: 180g - Regal Angel, Majestic Angel, Emperor Angel, Flame Angel pair, Flame Hawk.
Shanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 08:49 PM   #12
Deahttub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
It looks like a goniopora pandoranis. I am not sure if it is written like this . If it is fully expanding, it means it is happy. Check for tissue recession as it can sometimes have tissue recession while the rest of the coral looks normal.

My experience with Gonis is that they require more nitrate and phosphate than most LPS corals. I nature they are found in lagoons, so it would explain this requirement. That is an issue in an aquarium because it causes algae. It also makes them hard to keep with any SPS coral (and some LPS) since they are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Feeding is definitely a way to get around this although I am not sure how much of it is eating and how much of it is just absorbing the resulting N and P.
Myy experience with Goni’s is a tad different. I have had a piece of red goni for 4 years now in my sps tank. Started small now its twice the size of a softball. I cook mine at the top of my 220 (i run an ati 8 bulb 80watt fixture). I will attribute part of my success to the red goni is i feed mysis shrimp to my fish almosy daily and definitely some mysis get in the tenticles....and like someone said, they are very aggressive. Can kill a coral in hours if its touching it...

Rich

Deahttub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2018, 03:07 PM   #13
sbreefer
Afflicted Reefer

Gonios are easy to keep. I have a red ORA head that grew from the size of my thumbnail it is now the size of a soccer ball. medium light, medium flow. good tank chemistry. i keep alk at 9 calcium around 350-400. mg around 1300-1400. they enjoy the surge from my wave maker-- good movement. they enjoy mysis occationally. 2 perculas actually hosted in this head....

Current Tank Info: SPS dominated 300g
sbreefer is offline   Reply With Quote