Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Brian DeGolier
Registered Member

Power strip with digital timer

Hi Reefers, I used to be one of you and then I decided to set up a 105 planted tank and I haven't looked back. It's med/hi tech with Peristaltic dosers for fertilizers, has pressurized CO2, T5's/large bulb LED's etc. It's beautiful and very cheap in comparison to reefs and all their equipment.

What I want to do is get rid of all my timers on the power strips and have a "controller" but does not need to be very smart. I don't need to program it from my iPhone, I don't need it to let me know when the temp or the PH is too high/low. What I am looking for is a power strip with a centralized digital timer, where I can assign outlet #1 to go on/off at these times. And outlet #2 to go on/off at a different time etc. This seems like such a simple power strip, but I cannot find anything like this, and I think it has to exist, not in the reef community, but some where else, and a google search is getting me nowhere.

If anyone can send me a link to a product, I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

Current Tank Info: Planet Aquarium 105 Gal Planted freshwater, semi-high tec
Brian DeGolier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 02:37 PM   #2
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Nature Wave Multi-Cycle Pump Timer.
This thing has been around for years, but may not be the thing for you.
For this specific power strip, you would need two of them which would be a lot of funds.

What is your on/off time cycles?
Some horticultural equipment is handy as well.
People even use misting cycles for reptile projects too and they have equipment for that.
Mist King is a manufacturer for reptile stuff and more.

On anohter note, for simple hang on filters, these Nearpow brand units work well for other projects if you have picky eaters or pipefish that chase live brine in the tank.
The $12 Nearpow unit has way too much stuff in it, but a 3-button sequence will turn off your basic filter or other misc. item for a set amount of minutes and come back on.
Who knows, it may even work for you but is not as easy to use as other stuff on the market.

My application for filters is working fine.
I set Nearpow timer for 15 to 25 min. then have to hit my Tunze 10-min. powerhead circulation pump 2x per feeding session too keep the brine out of the impeller.

SumptyDumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Brian DeGolier
Registered Member

Thanks Sumpty, looks like a timer, but a very nice one. Appears to just have one outlet and I'm looking for a 6-8 outlet power strip with just one timer that controls different outlets at different times, much like a controller but should not need to be that fancy. But I should look into horticulture timers, thanks for the idea.

Unread 04/21/2018, 06:16 PM   #4
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGolier View Post
Thanks Sumpty, looks like a timer, but a very nice one. Appears to just have one outlet and I'm looking for a 6-8 outlet power strip with just one timer that controls different outlets at different times, much like a controller but should not need to be that fancy. But I should look into horticulture timers, thanks for the idea.
Even if they make single outlet timers, you can place a short pony tail harness in it or a DJ strip with power switches to power multiple outlets from the single outlet timer.
There are so many things to use.

What pumps or gadgets are you powering?

Tripp Lite 7 Outlet
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-In...TZD48JJ7J6MHX8

Cable Matters (2-Pack) 4-Outlet AC Power Cord Y-Splitter - 1.5 Feet
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...WJXTVX55H4VYAP

Century Short Period Repeat Cycle Timer Day/night, or 24 Hours Operation
https://www.amazon.com/Century-Short...8KMPFSGGSC8WD4

Nature Wave Multi-Cycle Pump Timer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1j3djHGVw8

SumptyDumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 12:02 PM   #5
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Why not just get a Reef Keeper Lite controller. You can get a simple Basic for for $130 Plus with extra power bar and ph monitoring for $290 from BRS. Or MarineDepot has a RKL Basic with ph monitoring for $200. The RKL is a timer but its also a temp controller, alram system, doser, ato ect ect. So much you can do for the price they are great.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 06:05 PM   #6
Brian DeGolier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Why not just get a Reef Keeper Lite controller. You can get a simple Basic for for $130 Plus with extra power bar and ph monitoring for $290 from BRS. Or MarineDepot has a RKL Basic with ph monitoring for $200. The RKL is a timer but its also a temp controller, alram system, doser, ato ect ect. So much you can do for the price they are great.
I'm starting to lean towards an RKL after more research, won't use too many
features at first, may be nice to know I at least have them with the controller.
Thanks

Unread 04/22/2018, 09:18 PM   #7
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Glad to help. For the price and what it does its a no brain ime not to get one dor any tank. even if all you do is run the lights, heater and temp it saves money in the end.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:49 AM   #8
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

you can get smart outlets fairly cheap now, like about $10 per outlet. just search smart outlet or wifi outlet on amazon. you can control them from smartphone app, but you don't have to once you set and forget. some can even keep track of power usage for you, which is a nice feature that a lot more expensive controller could not do right.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:56 AM   #9
Opus123
Registered Member

You might see if you can find an old neptune aquatroller jr. I would think you could get one cheap if you can find one.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:59 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

They are out there now..
First one I found.. I'm sure there are more..
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Power-S.../dp/B073CPTM49

Unread 04/23/2018, 10:13 AM   #11
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I think all smartoutlets can tell you the power consumption, which is handy. so say if your return pump outlet is on, but is consuming 0 watts, that means the pump is not running. There are models whose app can keep a history of power usage. If I don't have a controller, this would be the route I would take rather than getting old technology, or really old equipment that may be close to breaking down.

I plug my neptune apex to a smart outlet. pumps and lights are all running, and apex says total power consumption is 0amp lol. the smart outlet correctly reports 62 watts.

Last edited by d0ughb0y; 04/23/2018 at 10:24 AM.
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:29 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I think all smartoutlets can tell you the power consumption.
Nah.. Not all.. Some do.. Some don't..

Unread 04/23/2018, 10:36 AM   #13
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I might be thinking of smartthings smartoutlet.
anyway, there is no point buying one that can't monitor power usage and keep power history for the same price is my point.

if you find a smartoutlet that uses vesync app, then that outlet can monitor power usage and keep history of daily power usage forever.

Unread 04/23/2018, 02:01 PM   #14
Brian DeGolier
Registered Member

Hmmm... so many ideas. For $30 I might just try the Smart power strip, I only need 4 outlets for the lights. Thanks all.

Unread 04/23/2018, 03:18 PM   #15
willembad
Registered Member

I know I will probably catch flak for this, but knock on wood, I have not had one issue so far. I use SmartThings around the house and run my 90 gallon reef with 2 of these https://aeotec.com/z-wave-power-strip

I have 4 always on outlets, 8 switched outlets that are fully programmable and it records power consumption per outlet. I know it is not considered "safe" enough to control a reef tank, but it sure beats mechanical and digital timers like I used in the past. When I lose internet connection everything stays as set and I have to switch manually which to me is no big deal. I also have some water level sensors in my sump to alert me of high sump level.

willembad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:30 PM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willembad View Post
I know I will probably catch flak for this, but knock on wood, I have not had one issue so far. I use SmartThings around the house and run my 90 gallon reef with 2 of these https://aeotec.com/z-wave-power-strip

I have 4 always on outlets, 8 switched outlets that are fully programmable and it records power consumption per outlet. I know it is not considered "safe" enough to control a reef tank, but it sure beats mechanical and digital timers like I used in the past. When I lose internet connection everything stays as set and I have to switch manually which to me is no big deal. I also have some water level sensors in my sump to alert me of high sump level.
No "flak" coming from me.. I too have a smartthings home and have been seriously contemplating swapping out my reef angel controller for alexa/smartthings devices and whatever else is needed..solenoids,etc.... Its been very reliable for me so far..

Any idea why that power strip doesn't seem to be widely available.. seems out of stock everywhere?

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:46 PM   #17
willembad
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Any idea why that power strip doesn't seem to be widely available.. seems out of stock everywhere?
Not sure. Wasn't even aware but it is also not listed on manufacturer's website anymore. It's a shame, because for $60 ea. I have 4 switchable outlets per. I only run pumps and lights with it and it has been flawless. I did find old stock here https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pro...rip-dsc11-zwus but that's a lot more than I paid.

willembad is offline   Reply With Quote