Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2018, 05:41 AM   #1
Googlymoogly
Registered Member

Lighting suggestions for 210 gallon

I'm looking into setting up a 210 gallon tank typical dimensions. 72x24x29

Any lighting suggestions? I dont have 4 grand to throw at it right away...

I was debating on doing a LED T5 hybrid but need to figure out how I can do it without all upfront costs. Like possibly getting hybrid fixture so the T5 lights up the whole tank but only adding 1 LED fixture at a time and keep corals on that side of the tank until i can afford to fill the whole hybrid fixture with LED light fixtures.

Another issue I have it I have a canopy and I'd really like to keep it. I like the look of canopy's. So if I use the canopy I cant have the lights 12... 18 inches above the water. The canopy is only so tall so its probably more like 6 or 8 inches above the water. Is having lights only 8 inches above the water going to create a major issue? Will lights that close go bad with water evaporation and all of that.

It is going to be a mixed reef tank so I dont have to have crazy par all over but I would like to have some stick in it that I can place and higher rock spots to get higher par.

I've also been told about Orphek LEDs and someone thought these might be the best LED's.. better than radion and I wouldnt need T5 with them. But again I also know the testing that BRS did was 12" and 18" above the water so I dont know if they would get decent spread if they are only 8" above the water.

Googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 05:56 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Have you seen this fixture? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/60-hy...atic-life.html

If that fixture combined with bulbs and LEDs is over budget for now, check these out https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-ho...-lighting.html

The retro kit is easy to custom fit into a canopy with little wood working skills required.

At the end of the day LEDs alone grow all types of coral (including SPS). If you decide to put all of your lighting budget into a quality LED setup you would be perfectly happy. The LEDs are easy to hang inside the canopy and will run much cooler. Another advantage is the intensity control. T5 fixture do come dimmable at an added cost.

Unread 04/24/2018, 06:57 AM   #3
Googlymoogly
Registered Member

SO the first fixture is designed to be used with 4 radions? I thought a radion is supposed to cover 24x24. So wouldn't 3 be good for 72x24?

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:03 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Sure, three Radion XR30W would be sufficient with that fixture along with the 4 T5HO blubs. That would be A LOT of light FYI.

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Googlymoogly
Registered Member

Ok I was just wondering because it looked like it had 4 sections for LED lights to mount... Maybe its designed for smaller lights than the XR30s?

Unread 04/24/2018, 09:08 AM   #6
RobZilla04
Registered Member

From the description of the product:

Includes mounts for the following models of LED Lights:
•Ecotech XR30
•Ecotech XR15
•Kessil A360
•Aqua Illumination Prime*
•Aqua Illumination Hydra TwentySix
•Aqua Illumination Hydra FiftyTwo

The mounts can accommodate a variety of aquarium LED lights. Two different brackets are included and between the two, about 90% of LED light modules can be mounted between T5 lights.

I believe the LED mounts between the brackets can be positioned anywhere in the middle section. Thus you could only use three and position them accordingly.

Try a little more research on this fixture. There are plenty of folks out there who have it.

Unread 04/24/2018, 09:52 AM   #7
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlymoogly View Post
Ok I was just wondering because it looked like it had 4 sections for LED lights to mount... Maybe its designed for smaller lights than the XR30s?
If I were doing that setup I would rather 4 XR15's rather than 3 XR30's unless the tank has cross braces getting in the way. Save some money and get better spread. You won't be running the 30's close to maxed out anyway, especially with the t-5.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 11:21 AM   #8
Googlymoogly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
If I were doing that setup I would rather 4 XR15's rather than 3 XR30's unless the tank has cross braces getting in the way. Save some money and get better spread. You won't be running the 30's close to maxed out anyway, especially with the t-5.
Recommended spread on a XR15 is only 18x18. So i'd lose some front and back par.. I wonder if it will matter all that much having the T5's

Unread 04/24/2018, 11:52 AM   #9
jayball
Registered Member

You are only going to get more spread on the long direction of the 30's, and only as far as the distance between the pucks (on center) at the same mounting height. That is just simple angles. I did just notice that you have a 29 inch deep tank so depending on what you want to keep on the bottom that may justify the extra punch from the 30's or more 15's than I originally said.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 04:39 PM   #10
tank o tang
Thread Lurker

I would start with 2 ap700's. Then you can pick up the third later if wanted or needed. Was surprised how much they covered and the shimmer is beautiful. Very happy with mine over my 180.

Current Tank Info: 180gal
tank o tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 05:02 PM   #11
Googlymoogly
Registered Member

I was also looking into only have to run 2 Orphek ATLANTIK V4 LED LIGHT FIXTURE.

The reviews on the light seem to be good.

I guess one of my main considers with ALL the light fixtures is my current canopy is setup to basically mount lights only around 6 inches from the top of tank... Is 6 inches above the water going to ruin or cause issue with all these different lights on the market? Ususally the lowest I read that lights are mounted are 7 inches. Like the AP700 show coverage of 36 x24 at 7 inches which would mean I only would need 2. If I found a way to mount them at the very top of my canopy then I could maybe get the lights 8inchs away from the top of the tank.