Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2019, 09:27 AM   #1
pisanoal
Registered Member

Suggest Trtmnt for leopard wrasse in QT

Hello all,

So I have a leopard wrasse that has a mildly cloudy eye. I bought it on Sunday, and looking at it in the store, I thought it might have had a very slightly cloudy eye, but every time I would look at it straight on, it looked fine.

Now the wrasse is in QT and he finally came out of the sand yesterday, and the eye is noticeably cloudy (still minor) and a little swollen and I need a suggested course of action. I would treat with antibiotics but am hesitant because of the setup.

Quarantine Tank is a 20L that was attached to my system until isolated for QT. It has a sand bottom and about 10 lbs of LR. In QT with the affected wrasse is a medium blue throat trigger female and a smaller female leopard wrasse. Both the trigger and other leopard are eating frozen mysis. I'm hesitant to treat with meds because there is a good amount of worms in the sand bed and of course the pod population for the wrasses.

Meds I have on hand -
Kanaplex
Metroplex
(Focus - but this wrasse has not taken frozen yet)
Furan 2
marycn
API general cure

Thanks for the suggestions

Unread 03/14/2019, 12:11 PM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

First step I would take is perform a 5 min FW dip to confirm/rule out flukes in his eye: https://humble.fish/freshwater-dip/

If flukes show, treat with Prazipro.

If no flukes, Erythromycin is the best ABX for eye infections but sometimes Kanaplex works too. Dosing Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) may also help to relieve the swelling.

Prazipro is reef safe; but antibiotics should only be used in a QT.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2019, 06:02 PM   #3
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
First step I would take is perform a 5 min FW dip to confirm/rule out flukes in his eye: https://humble.fish/freshwater-dip/

If flukes show, treat with Prazipro.

If no flukes, Erythromycin is the best ABX for eye infections but sometimes Kanaplex works too. Dosing Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) may also help to relieve the swelling.

Prazipro is reef safe; but antibiotics should only be used in a QT.
Thanks for the reply. This is a QT but has live rock and quite a few bristle worms. I don't know if I am safe to dose antibiotics to this tank or not. There are no corals. Just live rock and sand.

I'd rather avoid the stress of catching the wrasse and doing a fw dip, id have to dig her up out of the sand as she is being very shy right now. I'll be treating with prazipro anyway, so maybe I'll just proceed with that. I've heard both ways on prazi killing bristleworms, any insight here? Just not wanting to kill a bunch of worms and have an ammonia spike.

Unread 03/14/2019, 06:47 PM   #4
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Thanks for the reply. This is a QT but has live rock and quite a few bristle worms. I don't know if I am safe to dose antibiotics to this tank or not. There are no corals. Just live rock and sand.

I'd rather avoid the stress of catching the wrasse and doing a fw dip, id have to dig her up out of the sand as she is being very shy right now. I'll be treating with prazipro anyway, so maybe I'll just proceed with that. I've heard both ways on prazi killing bristleworms, any insight here? Just not wanting to kill a bunch of worms and have an ammonia spike.
Prazipro technically can kill bristleworms, but more times than not they survive treatment.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2019, 07:06 PM   #5
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Prazipro technically can kill bristleworms, but more times than not they survive treatment.
Thanks!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk