Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2017, 03:38 PM   #1
AquaAdam
Registered Member

Question trying to decide on tank and size

I already have a 60 gal. cube set up in the living room but I'd really like to get something small for one of the night tables in the bedroom. I'm trying to decide between a 16 gallon biocube or possibly a 9 gallon fluval flex - saw one of these at the store and liked the design and even though it says its for freshwater I've seen a couple videos of people using them for saltwater. I am willing to upgrade parts in the future as there's usually a better option than what you get out of the box.

I would like to grow corals in it but nothing crazy, maybe just some mushrooms and zoas, or any other "technically" easier corals, as id like to keep it fairly low maintenance.

I'm guessing if I get the biocube the lighting might be sufficient but if I get the flex, probably not, but I'd like to hear what others have to say.

has anyone done the 9 gallon fluval? What does the bio cube come with out of the box other than the tank and lights or does it come with anything else?

Ive seen fish stores running small saltwater setups with nothing more than pump and a heater so thats what got me thinking about that fluval.

I haven't decided on fish yet but I know it will have to be very minimal and i'm fine with that. 1-2 is good enough for me . I've also thought of making it a seahorse tank but I have not looked into the proper care/ tank size needed for them yet.

Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks!

AquaAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 03:57 PM   #2
AquaAdam
Registered Member

Well I have to scrap the seahorse idea as these tanks will be too small so 1-2 fish and some Coral it is

Unread 10/06/2017, 11:54 PM   #3
skiingfast
Registered Member

The Fluval is better left to freshwater. The light is very fancy with lots of colors and features but for freshawater. Fluval does have some nice extra like a mountain pad.

The BC16 comes with about the same stuff, except no heater. However its lights are well capable of growing soft corals. You will want to read about biocubes on here as people do a lot of modifications for filtration such as replacing the media rack, and adding skimmers. BCs use a propriety carbon filters and you probably will get rid of it like most of us do. Just read about Biocubes there is a lot of experience on this site.

skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 08:00 AM   #4
AquaAdam
Registered Member

Hi there, I thought that was the case but just wanted to check. I'll look into what you mentioned. thanks for the reply.

Unread 10/08/2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Psychomantix
Registered Member

I have a Fluval Edge 6G reef in my bedroom on my desk going strong for almost ayear now. All stock equipment.

Psychomantix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 11:42 AM   #6
FiShTaCo
Registered Member

I would go with the Biocube setup. Efficient lighting and room for a better outflow pump in the rear chambers, if needed. I have had the Nanocubes for the past 13 years but the Biocube is essentially the same tank. I have had no problems and they run quiet. I always have an added powerhead in my cubes for more flow and no dead spots. Best of luck.

Current Tank Info: 12g Aquapod - home to 'Red' my teenage Fire Clown
FiShTaCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biocube 16, fluval flex