Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2017, 04:02 PM   #51
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Are you going to keep the shrimp? I like my little guy, but I could definitely see that clicking getting old if I had it next to my bed

Yeah, I put him back in the sump partition under the filter sock where I found him. He's still clicking every once in a while, it doesn't bother me.
I found the shadows of copepods on my ceiling to be more strange. The smart ato led attracts them and throws shadows of copepods darting everywhere.

Musing.Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 11:23 AM   #52
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Here's a somewhat cloudy update. PE mysis causes this cloudiness after I feed and I don't have a skimmer. Also getting a protein film on top of the water even though I have some of the flow directed up.

I plan to upgrade the return pump first, then get a skimmer if it doesn't improve.

A lot of the hitchhiker bivalves are still alive, the large one included. One medium one died, didn't see any spikes in testing.

Got my reefbreeder light and it's pretty attractive, imo. Still playing with the colors a little. This is their "natural sunlight" program from the website with the red and green LEDs disabled in the app.

So far, I started with 1 gallon weekly water change but moved to 2g weekly after the fish. I'm going to increase to 2g twice weekly soon after I buy a bucket. My water is in jugs too small to use a pump in right now.

I have stocked it with a pair of orange fire fish and a pygmy wrasse. LFS sold it as a white banded wrasse but I. Relieve it to be Tanaka's pygmy wrasse. The fire fish are fat and sociable.
The Pygmy wrasse is reclusive but very pretty. He's busy decimating the pods but he also comes out for mysis bits.

The wrasse started off washed out brown but is a deep ruby now. All three are fat. I'm starting to see more of the wrasse; sometimes I find it looking at its own reflection and/or hunting copepods. It also hovers near the firefish and sometimes shares their rock.

Unread 06/13/2017, 07:13 AM   #53
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Tank is looking great. Do you strain your mysis shrimp before added it to the tank? I bought a cheap lil coffee filter for a kergui and thaw the shrimp, rinse and then add it to the tank.

How are you liking the reef breeder led. I just picked up a lagoon and the reef breeder nano light touch for a good price. Just need to figure out a stand and some equipment pieces I want to run with it.

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 04:29 PM   #54
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

I rinse the mysis but maybe I need to do a better job?

Yes, I like the light a lot. I can change each of the six colors independently by the percentage. I like the ability to simulate a sunrise and sunset for just $130. I bought a reconditioned unit; looks brand new. For the wifi version, the app has spelling errors and isn't really intuitive but it works. I didn't have an issue connecting to the the light.
I'm going to like it more when I verify that it grows coral well. I don't think there will be an issue though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/14/2017, 05:47 AM   #55
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoahoarder View Post
Tank is looking great. Do you strain your mysis shrimp before added it to the tank? I bought a cheap lil coffee filter for a kergui and thaw the shrimp, rinse and then add it to the tank.

How are you liking the reef breeder led. I just picked up a lagoon and the reef breeder nano light touch for a good price. Just need to figure out a stand and some equipment pieces I want to run with it.
Is there an advantage to straining the mysis? I've never done it, does it help with po4?

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 07:24 AM   #56
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

It might help to strain. I know the liquid makes my tank cloudy all day and adds to a protein film on the water surface. Can't be good. I don't have a liner though either.

Unread 06/16/2017, 06:10 PM   #57
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Not liner, skimmer, thanks autocorrect.
I'm finally starting to get algae. Little dot of cyano, and something sort of fluffy and brown. Took a bit to turkey baster it off.
Saw my Pygmy wrasse poop the other day, he's quite rotund now. I think he's growing. Also getting bolder.
My copepod population is reduced. My firefish spend all day specifically snatching them off the glass when they aren't biting particles in the water column.
I'm hoping to add some zoas or mushrooms soon.
Corraline is bleaching a little.
I apparently didn't end up with any bristleworms. Haven't seen any at all.

Unread 06/16/2017, 09:01 PM   #58
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Here's what I use to strain my mysis shrimp. Nothing to fancy think it was $5.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.4 KB, 60 views)
Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 06:05 PM   #59
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Oh man has the algae taken off, the uglies are starting. It's not that bad though really. Honestly, this began when I started to use tap water to rinse the frozen food. I stopped that and the algae has receded dramatically. I was most worried about what looked like dinoflagellates but the elimination of minute amounts of tap water and some manual removal has pretty much knocked it out. I have some cyano also. Some powerheads and a new return pump are on their way. I definitely have some coralline algae starting, green and pink so far.

Unread 06/30/2017, 06:16 PM   #60
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Some frags I bought Memorial Day. The zoas usually are open more than that but most the small polyps don't open much yet. The paly appears to be getting greener?
I'm not sure what color that mushroom is going to end up being or what kind it is. Yuma? Rhodactis? I don't know much about mushrooms honestly.

Unread 07/22/2017, 08:59 PM   #61
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Well, my firefish divorced this week. After this time of being inseparable, one bit the other and chases it.
I'm considering replacing them both with an exquisite firefish.

Unread 07/24/2017, 12:22 AM   #62
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

How is the reefbreeder light, growing and corals?

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 05:14 AM   #63
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
How is the reefbreeder light, growing and corals?

Everything is alive. Less zoas open everyday; I dipped them yesterday just in case. The mushroom looks the same as when I bought it. The palys are fatter and shorter but very similar to when I bought them.

I am running their LPS program without red and green, with all the channels cranked up a little - max 80%. I wouldn't pass judgement on the light though; I'm pretty much a coral newbie.
I just ordered test kits for Ca and Alk to test the water just in case. I know my pH is generally running low.

Unread 07/24/2017, 08:27 PM   #64
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Not much changed here. The red macros are still growing; so is the hair algae on the sand. I am considering adding some chaeto or prolifera in the back portion or the sand to help with possible nutrients. Nitrates still read 0. The pH is consistently 7.8 also, little low.

Unread 07/24/2017, 08:56 PM   #65
thaitopher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musing.Dog View Post

Not much changed here. The red macros are still growing; so is the hair algae on the sand. I am considering adding some chaeto or prolifera in the back portion or the sand to help with possible nutrients. Nitrates still read 0. The pH is consistently 7.8 also, little low.
You should invest in a lawn mower blenny, red legged hermit and scarlet hermit to remove that hair algae.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

thaitopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 08:58 PM   #66
thaitopher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musing.Dog View Post

Add caulerpa instead of chaeto if you plan on putting it in your display tank. Much prettier and it eats KO phosphates like crazy

thaitopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 04:24 AM   #67
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaitopher View Post
Add caulerpa instead of chaeto if you plan on putting it in your display tank. Much prettier and it eats KO phosphates like crazy

I can put chaeto in the back but prolifera is attractive just a lot of pruning. Never had chaeto before.

Unread 07/26/2017, 06:25 PM   #68
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Added some fish today; this maxes out my fish real estate. New additions are a Randall's goby and shrimp, rainford's goby, swales basslet and a blue coral banded shrimp.
The zoas responded positively to a 3G water change a few days ago even though the measurable nitrates are 0. I'll likely do another in a couple days. I'm going to do a 5 gal change and observe. The swales and rainford are hiding but here's the Randall's.

He hasn't found the pistol shrimp yet but the shrimp is building a burrow.

Unread 07/28/2017, 01:23 PM   #69
twitchy
Registered Member

Those are some cool red macros, where'd you pick those up from?

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 06:40 PM   #70
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Caulerpa is not a good idea IME. Once it gets a foot hold it can be extremely invasive and very tricky to remove completely.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 04:54 AM   #71
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Caulerpa is not a good idea IME. Once it gets a foot hold it can be extremely invasive and very tricky to remove completely.

I have heard that. I had the prolifera in a deep 66 a couple years ago and it pretty much stayed on the sand. I just cut it back every few weeks. My only concern is that it's a big, fast green wing algae and it may not look as nice in a nano.

Unread 08/02/2017, 02:02 PM   #72
C_man7
Registered Member

How's the light doing? Are you getting decent coral growth? Can't decide between this and the ai prime hd.

C_man7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2017, 04:13 PM   #73
dzheng
Registered Member

Can't go wrong with the AI Prime! Digging the ability to control lighting via wifi.

dzheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 10:23 PM   #74
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_man7 View Post
How's the light doing? Are you getting decent coral growth? Can't decide between this and the ai prime hd.

In my tank I haven't had any growth yet that I can see. Turning the intensity up just bleached out my red macro a little; no coral changes.

Unread 08/06/2017, 10:36 PM   #75
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Those zoas are still doing badly. The palys and mushroom still look good though.
My rainford's goby was a little lean when I received him but I'm glad to say he's plump now. He spends most the day ripping up patches of hair algae and sifting sand.
The goby and pistol have not paired still.
I see the swales basslet a couple times a day. Most recently I have witnessed him snagging food out of the water column.
The blue cbs pretty much just hides all the time.
The firefish are no longer chasing each other but they aren't buddies either. They do hang out in the water column at the same time now though.

Did some testing due to the ragged zoas.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 (Still, never seen nitrate in this tank so far)
Kh 11
Ph 7.8
Ca 380

I dipped the zoas two weeks ago and found only amphipods.