Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Leopardshark´s new tank project (finally!)

Dear all,

I started in this hobby aprox. in 1998, with a 30 gal tank which was a monumental disaster due to my lack of knowledge, after that I moved to an 80 gal tank which did much better and then by year 2000 I bought a 300 gal tank which did very good thanks to reading many books and for the advice I received in here.

Unfortunately in 2007 I had to move to another city so I had to tear my tank appart and I swore I would never buy another one (yeah right)... until now.

To be honest, I was very, very tired of cleaning the tank, skimmer, calc. reactor, pumps, etc. I also got red flatworms which I treated with flatworm exit, red bugs which I treated with Interceptor and then AEFW which I didn´t treat at all.

I also was tired of having a Red Sea wavemaker fail in one channel, 2 turbelles failing on me (almost brand new), replacing the mag pump on my Lifereef calc reactor every 4 months (go figure why) and its leaks since new, Red Sea ozone reactor failing to produce ozone after 1 year, the power cable that fed the house exploded once (I think due to overcharge by my 4 x 400w radiums and more), the bottom glass of the tank broke once, a flooding caused by my ro/di filter (that was my fault as I installed it improperly), dealing with a mag 18 pump which was insufficent for my Aqua C 400 skimmer (which I replaced for an Iwaki pump), testing with 10, 14 and 20k MH´s and ballasts, tank temp was generally 88 degrees so in summer I had to sleep elsewhere (the tank was in my bedroom) so I could keep the windows open to lower the tem., etc.

So after putting down the tank I was relieved... but I couldn´t overcome the fact that I like this f... hobby so much! so since then and as of this day, in my sleep I dream that I´m scuba diving, or that I have a reef tank, or whatever insanity you can imagine related to corals and reef fishes.

So after 10 years I decided to give it a new try, but now things are different, as I live in my own apartment now so I will hardly move, I have a small room that will be the "tank room" which has solid floor (not carpet as before) and LED´s fixtures use so much less power than MH´s and there is no need to replace them (apart for changing new and improved models), DC pumps are more efficent than AC, the temp in my apartment is much lower than my previous house, so I will not struggle with lowering the temperature, etc.

It seems it´s the correct time now to start things over. So I ordered the following equipment:

- 110 gal. AGA with extraclear glass,
- 40 gal sump
- 3 x Radion 30 G4 PRO
- 2 x Vortech MP40 pumps
- 1 x Vectra M pump
- Korallin calcium reactor
- Elite Reef Octopus 200-int

And my next aquisition will be an Neptune´s APEX controller and ozone generator.

This time I went to a much smaller tank and I think it´s size will easen its maintainance, of course it will be a SPS´s tank

Wish me luck and I will keep you posted about the progress.

Pictures to come very soon.

Regards

Marco

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Leopardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 06:27 PM   #2
reefmutt
Registered Member

hey Marco, looks like you will be riding in STYLE!
Very nice equipment list

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 04:06 AM   #3
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

I love seeing an old hand coming back into the hobby!! I'll definitely be tagging along for your ride and off to a rocking start!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Thanks for your comments and I think this time it will be better/simpler to get back on track, avoiding the mistakes I made in the past.

Here are two pics, one of the overflow of the tank and return line and the second of the sump, with the skimmer in place and I´m waiting for the calc reactor and Vectra pump.
I know it looks very simple, with no fancy/complicated/great looking plumbing, but that´s the way I like it now

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (54.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (28.2 KB, 62 views)

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Unread 08/29/2017, 11:31 AM   #5
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Hello all,
Well, I have been working on the tank on a slow pace to avoid exhausting myself with so many things that need to be put in place (ATO system, RO/DI connection, plumbing, etc.) to correctly start the tank.

First, I made a very simple PVC/hose connections for the drain and return pump. I´ve seen super ultra nice looking instalations but in my opinion, apart of the aesthetics they perform just as good as a flexible hose and with less adaptability and in my opinion (just my opinion with no scientific support) a hose will provide less friction/resistance than 45°/90° pvc elbows.

I remember my former tank used to have many manifolds and I seldom if ever, used them so this time I went for a simpler design.

So, after leveling the tank, letting the silicone dry for 3 weeks and with the pumps in here, I started filling the tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (38.3 KB, 48 views)

Unread 08/29/2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Leopardshark
Registered Member

In the meantime, I installed a long pipe from the kitchen´s ro/di unit under the sink to fill the water reservoir and also I drilled a hole in the wall of the "fish room" to take the water from the reservoir to the sump.

The Vectra and Vortechs came in on Friday and I installed them while the tank was getting filled. I used Carib Sea´s fiji pink, 80 lbs to have a 1" - 1 1/2" of sand bed and it made the water look like milk.

Yesterday I installed the Radions and I placed some rock and stirred the sump so all the sediments could be trapped by the filter sock and skimmer.

This is how it looked yesterday after installing the Radions

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (38.8 KB, 62 views)

Unread 08/29/2017, 11:39 AM   #7
Leopardshark
Registered Member

And this is how it looked this morning. If you look carefully, you will see an eggcrate/pvc structure behind the rock, this will support the rock structure and will avoid dead spots in the sand while providing some caves to the fishes.

BTW, I know everything in this tank will flourish as "the force is with me"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (47.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (46.5 KB, 76 views)

Unread 08/29/2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Leopardshark
Registered Member

BTW do you think the Radions are too high? they are at 12" above the tank.

Unread 08/29/2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Oh and this used to be my former tank 11 years ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tanque.jpg (70.1 KB, 100 views)

Unread 08/31/2017, 03:33 PM   #10
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm not an led user so I can't comment on the height of the lights but it certainly seems like a good start. They are powerful lights.
Nice scape. Coming along very nicely.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/31/2017, 04:36 PM   #11
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Starting to come together nicely mate (incredibly jealous of the poster you've got next to the tank )

I'm with Matt on the led's, no harm on starting them higher as they can blow the socks off most things and if you find they're not quite enough you can always lower them

Your former tank was gorgeous!!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Unread 09/01/2017, 12:58 PM   #12
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Starting to come together nicely mate (incredibly jealous of the poster you've got next to the tank )
and if you take a close look, you will see it is autographed by 13 actors/director of the movies, such as Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, George Lucas, John Williams, etc. (just to make you more jealous lol)

Unread 09/01/2017, 05:39 PM   #13
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Rockwork is done. Hope you like it and critics are welcome.
I like the middle cave and the floating rock on the right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6118.jpg (55.6 KB, 68 views)

Unread 09/02/2017, 02:03 PM   #14
reefmutt
Registered Member

It's tough for me to see the pics on my phone since they don't enlarge that much but honestly, I find the final rockwork kind of dense.. may restrict water flow somewhat.
I actually liked it a lot better in the previous shots..
Just seems too massive in the photos.. maybe in real life, it is more open and it just doesn't come across in the photos...

Unread 09/02/2017, 09:50 PM   #15
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardshark View Post
and if you take a close look, you will see it is autographed by 13 actors/director of the movies, such as Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, George Lucas, John Williams, etc. (just to make you more jealous lol)
Oh I saw those autographs!! You're an absolutely amazingly luck bugger!! Thanks for rubbing it in though

Rockscape is cracking mate!!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 09/03/2017, 06:25 AM   #16
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
It's tough for me to see the pics on my phone since they don't enlarge that much but honestly, I find the final rockwork kind of dense.. may restrict water flow somewhat.
I actually liked it a lot better in the previous shots..
Just seems too massive in the photos.. maybe in real life, it is more open and it just doesn't come across in the photos...
Thanks for you comments. What is actually curious is that the structure is completly hollow! I will upload more pics (just couldn't with my iphone) and you will see many holes and caves. I made it that way so it could support as many acros as possible.

Unread 09/03/2017, 06:26 AM   #17
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Oh I saw those autographs!! You're an absolutely amazingly luck bugger!! Thanks for rubbing it in though

Rockscape is cracking mate!!

Lol

Unread 09/03/2017, 11:49 PM   #18
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Pffft! If it was a REVENGE of the Jedi poster i'd be impressed....

Who am I kidding, I am impressed

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2017, 02:10 PM   #19
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Ok, more pics of the rockwork. It is hollow, since I made a pvc/eggcrate stucture to support the rocks, allowing to have an open/hiding space underneath the rocks and allowing water to flow, since in my old tank, I made the structure rock solid and whenever I had to modify the rockwork, it would be a complete mess in there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (72.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (79.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (83.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (84.6 KB, 39 views)

Unread 09/04/2017, 03:03 PM   #20
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok I see what you mean, that first shot shows how open it is underneath.
Fish will be happy

Unread 09/04/2017, 04:39 PM   #21
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Very groovy The fish will definitely love that!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 09/06/2017, 10:59 AM   #22
Leopardshark
Registered Member

This is a shot below the branch rock in the middle that made the bridge. Underneath the rock work it is hollow. Only if you try, you will see the eggcrate so I think it is very good to avoid stagnant water and rottening sandbed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (81.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (47.9 KB, 30 views)

Unread 09/07/2017, 11:29 AM   #23
James404
I <3 Acros

Tank looks great! How do you like the skimmer so far? I'm looking at getting the external version for my build.

Unread 09/07/2017, 12:07 PM   #24
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
Tank looks great! How do you like the skimmer so far? I'm looking at getting the external version for my build.
So far I REALLY like it.

To give you a little bit of context, my first skimmer was a Top Fathom 300, which was a "decent" skimmer but not one I would buy again.
Then I bought an AquaC EV400 which was a very good skimmer but due to its design, it needed a very big pump to run it properly, so I bought first a Mag18 and it was a crap, then, I upgraded to an Iwaki and it worked great, but Iwaki´s are known to be big power consumers.

So after being out of the hobby for 11 years and with my not-so-good previous experience, this skimmer is in another league for me.

So with this skimmer, the design is really cool, the pump is awesome and you can dial it in regards of how much water flow you want it to deliver (not by restraining it with a gate valve) and you can put it in pause for 15 or 60 minutes. Also it is very, VERY silent.
It didn´t take not 1 single minute to break in and start producing foam and their support service is top notch.

I´m now looking for a calcium reactor and based on the performance/build of the skimmer/pump I´m seriously considering Reef Octopus CA200. The other option is GEO´s calc reactor which I´ve hear very good things also.

So I would say, go for it!.

Unread 09/07/2017, 12:23 PM   #25
James404
I <3 Acros

Quote:
So far I REALLY like it.

To give you a little bit of context, my first skimmer was a Top Fathom 300, which was a "decent" skimmer but not one I would buy again.
Then I bought an AquaC EV400 which was a very good skimmer but due to its design, it needed a very big pump to run it properly, so I bought first a Mag18 and it was a crap, then, I upgraded to an Iwaki and it worked great, but Iwaki´s are known to be big power consumers.

So after being out of the hobby for 11 years and with my not-so-good previous experience, this skimmer is in another league for me.

So with this skimmer, the design is really cool, the pump is awesome and you can dial it in regards of how much water flow you want it to deliver (not by restraining it with a gate valve) and you can put it in pause for 15 or 60 minutes. Also it is very, VERY silent.
It didn´t take not 1 single minute to break in and start producing foam and their support service is top notch.

I´m now looking for a calcium reactor and based on the performance/build of the skimmer/pump I´m seriously considering Reef Octopus CA200. The other option is GEO´s calc reactor which I´ve hear very good things also.

So I would say, go for it!.
Thats great! I'm a huge Coralvue/Reef Octopus fan, I ran their XP-3000 skimmer on my old 225g SPS tank and was super impressed. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with their cal reactor. I know GEO makes really high quality reactors too.