Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/11/2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Haggisman14
Registered Member

Filter Floss: Clean/swap out?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the word of biocubes, and I just wanted to confirm something I read through searching. I have a pad of filterfloss in the InTank media basket. From what I've read, this should be changed out every 3-4 days, otherwise I can get nitrate spikes.

Should I be placing only one piece of filterfloss in the container, or does it make sense to place two of them stacked together.

This is my first time with an all in one tank, so I'm still learning the ropes on this one as it cycles. Down the road I'm probably going to add a skimmer to chamber 1, a controller for the Kessil 160, and an ATO. Otherwise I'm trying to keep this simple.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 29 Gallon, Kessil A160WE LED Light, inTank Media Basket w/Chemipure/Purigen combo
Haggisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 10:27 AM   #2
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Toss them after using them. There is no sure fire way to remove all the gunk that gets clogged in the floss. Plus the floss itself is super cheap. Depending on the thickness of the floss you can get away with 1 layer. When I use the inTank media floss I usually just use one layer. I actually use the floss for roughly a week and just change it when doing water changes.

Hope this helps!

>120 Gallon Reef<
Fish- Multicolor Angel, Pair of Clowns, Purple Tang, Blue Spotted Jawfish

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon, 12 gallon nano
LedZep fan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Haggisman14
Registered Member

Hey Rich, thanks! I am using the inTank floss, so I'll try just using one pad at a time. I got their bulk sheet for something like $7....probably plenty for a full year of swapping once per week.

Side note, love your choice in music...one of my favorite bands!

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 29 Gallon, Kessil A160WE LED Light, inTank Media Basket w/Chemipure/Purigen combo
Unread 10/11/2017, 03:17 PM   #4
OhDumb
Registered Member

I use the blue and white bulk sheet and cut to fit. I rinse the pad out every other day during the week and then replace during my weekly water change. If it looks dirty I'll pull it out or give it a rinse in between that schedule. Main thing is you don't want a bunch of junk decomposing on that pad/floss. So, keep it clean.

OhDumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 08:23 AM   #5
LedZep fan2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggisman14 View Post
Hey Rich, thanks! I am using the inTank floss, so I'll try just using one pad at a time. I got their bulk sheet for something like $7....probably plenty for a full year of swapping once per week.

Side note, love your choice in music...one of my favorite bands!

Easily will last you quite some time. When I first set up my nano I bought about 8 sheets since they were on sale and I thought I would burn through them. I still have a couple sheets left and it has been almost 4 years

Thanks! They have always been a favorite band of mine. I am currently a college graduate student and have always been told that I was born in the wrong era for music!

>120 Gallon Reef<
Fish- Multicolor Angel, Pair of Clowns, Purple Tang, Blue Spotted Jawfish

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon, 12 gallon nano
LedZep fan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 10:19 AM   #6
Haggisman14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZep fan2 View Post
Thanks! They have always been a favorite band of mine. I am currently a college graduate student and have always been told that I was born in the wrong era for music!
Me too man, Led Zep, Allman Brothers, Creedence, The Doors....good tunes!

Unread 10/15/2017, 06:53 PM   #7
SFKINNC
Registered Member

Red face Filter floss

Hey guy:
I usually skip the LFS when I need floss. I go to a fabric store or even Wally World and buy polyester quilt batting. Quilt batting is a fraction of the cost of “filter floss” at any pet supply store and is the same stuff. It can also be used to rebuild/remake most filter cartridges.

SFKINNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 02:10 PM   #8
smatter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZep fan2 View Post
Easily will last you quite some time. When I first set up my nano I bought about 8 sheets since they were on sale and I thought I would burn through them. I still have a couple sheets left and it has been almost 4 years

I always tell my 24-year-old daughter, "I'm not old, your music really does suck."

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 10:05 PM   #9
ccolt1
Registered Member

I use the wally world floss to works great for my 12g jbj nano mixed reef

ccolt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 12:37 PM   #10
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

back when i used to use it id have it run for a day. The more it clogs the more itll also cause water to slowly rise in your display, which will cause your ATO in the back to think water is evaporating, thus pumping water into your aquarium lowering your salinity. So then you have salinity going up and down over and over. so for me personally those chambers are tiny and id just toss the floss everyday at the end of the day to keep my salinity stable from fluctuating to much. Remember smaller tanks = bigger fluctuations of parameters.

RobSpeed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 04:23 PM   #11
Jadams
Registered Member

I place a new piece every 3 days..just toss the used ones