Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2020, 11:57 AM   #1
wsboyette
Registered Member

AquaMaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer

Is there anyone out there using the AquaMaxx hang-on-back filter/skimmer ? How does it perform, and is there any problem with microbubbles in the return flow ? I don't want air bubbles in my tank.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown

Last edited by wsboyette; 06/27/2020 at 02:01 PM.
wsboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2020, 01:44 PM   #2
mx51
Registered Member

Just out of curiosity what are you planning on putting it on?

mx51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2020, 02:00 PM   #3
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx51 View Post
Just out of curiosity what are you planning on putting it on?
A 60 gallon fish-only setup

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown
Unread 06/27/2020, 10:31 PM   #4
doonan75
Registered Member

Do yourself a favor and either build a sump, if you don't have one, and get an in sump skimmer. Even though you are fish only now that will probably change in the future, and with a sump and a better skimmer your fish will be healthier regardless. Just by your photo I suspect that I have the same HOB filters that you have (based on the intake tube and the strainer) I had two of those on a fresh water 75 and they were not sufficient for that so they definitely won't be able to handle a salt water tank. They are both in my garage now and I went with 2 tidal 100s for my fresh water set-up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

doonan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2020, 12:54 PM   #5
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonan75 View Post
Do yourself a favor and either build a sump, if you don't have one, and get an in sump skimmer. Even though you are fish only now that will probably change in the future, and with a sump and a better skimmer your fish will be healthier regardless. Just by your photo I suspect that I have the same HOB filters that you have (based on the intake tube and the strainer) I had two of those on a fresh water 75 and they were not sufficient for that so they definitely won't be able to handle a salt water tank. They are both in my garage now and I went with 2 tidal 100s for my fresh water set-up.

No place for a sump in the current stand.

Unread 06/28/2020, 01:08 PM   #6
doonan75
Registered Member

I know I'm a Lifereef fanboy but I believe Jeff makes a hang on the back model.

doonan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Nanorock4
Registered Member

question is, do you currently need a skimmer?
You have a fish only tank.
How are your nitrates and phosphates?
How often are you changing water?
If they are good and your not and your happy with how often you are changing water for waste export and water maintenance, than you probably don't need a skimmer.
I might go with cycling some live rock to add to the tank to increase biofiltration before adding a skimmer unless your adding SPS or LPS to the tank and you need low nitrates and phosphates. Upgrade your HOB filter to something that will give you more flow for saltwater. IF you need to add a skimmer, there are HOBs that are better than having that all in one filter.

Nanorock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2020, 03:59 PM   #8
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanorock4 View Post
question is, do you currently need a skimmer?
You have a fish only tank.
How are your nitrates and phosphates?
How often are you changing water?
If they are good and your not and your happy with how often you are changing water for waste export and water maintenance, than you probably don't need a skimmer.
I might go with cycling some live rock to add to the tank to increase biofiltration before adding a skimmer unless your adding SPS or LPS to the tank and you need low nitrates and phosphates. Upgrade your HOB filter to something that will give you more flow for saltwater. IF you need to add a skimmer, there are HOBs that are better than having that all in one filter.
All saltwater aquariums will benefit greatly from use of a skimmer. It removes a lot of filthy dissolved organics from the water.

Unread 07/21/2020, 07:38 PM   #9
Nanorock4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsboyette View Post
All saltwater aquariums will benefit greatly from use of a skimmer. It removes a lot of filthy dissolved organics from the water.

Yes they do. I choose not to have one and I do a 5% water change weekly to export my stuff. I have a mixed reef softy tank and my nitrates are around 10 ppm and my phosphate is .03 and everything is doing great. I could have an HOB skimmer and change my water every other or every 3 weeks but I also get the added benefit at adding back to my tank what ever is being used up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanorock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2020, 08:30 PM   #10
moondoggy4
Registered Member

https://www.marinedepot.com/aquamaxx...rotein-skimmer Also look into this skimmer.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2020, 01:06 AM   #11
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Thanks, but it won't fit my setup, sticks too far into the tank to allow the hood to be placed where it belongs. At any rate, I went ahead and purchased the filter/skimmer combo mentioned above.... It's a nice unit.