Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2019, 06:25 AM   #1
kac01
Registered Member

carpet anemone

Seeing if I should add a carpet anemone to my reef tank? Seeing who has been successful? Thanks

kac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2019, 08:27 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Do you have anemonefish who would need a carpet anemone? If not, then I would advise against it.
It also depends on the species of anemone. The most readily available carpet anemone is S. haddoni, but that is not a reef but rather a sand and rubble zone anemone that needs a deep spot of sand to do well. It is also the most dangerous to fish.
S. gigantea is more of a rubble zone anemone that you may find at the base of reef structures in the tidal zone. Gigantea doesn't need sand as much and can also be placed in a suitable place higher in the reef structure. They are in my experience slightly less dangerous to fish, but harder to find and much more tricky during acclimatization due to coming often in sick and in need of treatment with antibiotics.
S. mertensi would be a true reef anemone, but it is hard to find. It is also the by far largest carpet anemone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2019, 05:04 PM   #3
D-Nak
Registered Member

Should you add a carpet anemone to your reef tank?

No. Not Yet.

There have been quite a few successes, but also failures. Best to do your research first (just search this forum for the species that your leaning towards) then decide for yourself if a carpet anemone is a suitable addition to your tank.

If you have specific questions, post them and we'll try to answer.

Unread 05/07/2019, 12:52 PM   #4
WatDatThing
Registered Member

I don't see why not if that is your interest. Like everything else in this hobby, do your research .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2019, 03:21 PM   #5
humphreyhh
Registered Member

carpet anemone

haddoni carpet is the easiest among the carpet anemones. I would recommend it for people who just began to look into carpet anemones. If you are confident in your tank condition you can definitely try other kinds, such as gigantea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2019, 06:31 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

Carpet anemones are beautiful anemones. One of the brightest color anemones you can have, but they do eat fish, and probably not suitable for beginner.
I you have your heart set on one/some, you got to put the time out to search on how to keep them.
They are certainly not the easiest animals to keep. Unhappy anemone, unlike unhappy corals, can wipe out your tank.
But there are plenty of information on how to keep all the host anemones successfully these days, not like 10 years ago. Some of them are outright impossible 10 years ago.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2019, 06:37 PM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

There is no other host anemone that can rival a nicely color Haddoni.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carpets2014080501.jpg (74.2 KB, 104 views)

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/08/2019, 06:31 AM   #8
kac01
Registered Member

My worry is it getting my fish. It is in my frag tank right now. It is a bright green. Will try to post a picture and see if you can tell me what kind it is. Thanks

Unread 05/08/2019, 08:55 AM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kac01 View Post
My worry is it getting my fish. It is in my frag tank right now. It is a bright green. Will try to post a picture and see if you can tell me what kind it is. Thanks
Bright green let's me think that it's a haddoni. Not only are they the most common carpet anemones in the trade but also because bright green and even full on neon-green are not unusual colors with them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2019, 11:36 AM   #10
E.intheC
Registered Member

That’s s great pic, Minh!

Unread 05/09/2019, 04:19 AM   #11
kac01
Registered Member

What kind of carpet anemone?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Unread 05/09/2019, 04:51 AM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

That is a not too healthy Haddoni. For carpet ID purposes, white light is best clear pictures of tentacles, mouth and of column. This is true for most anemones

Unread 05/09/2019, 09:16 AM   #13
humphreyhh
Registered Member

That’s a haddoni for sure. Can you get pictures from just white light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote