Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:08 PM   #1
iannuzzelli
Registered Member

Positive and negative tank experiences

Good day all,

I have had fresh water tanks in the past, looking to do a reef tank and have some question about tank reliability.

I have been looking at a
Marineland 97008 120 gal (48" x 24" x 24"), 1 overflow
and
Marineland 97013 180 gal wide (72" x 24" x 24"), 2 overflows

I know bigger is better, I just list those two b/c I am undecided as to which space I'd like to occupy.

Has anybody had any experience with this tank manufacturer? Are they reliable? What do you have or would recommend?

I have also been toying with a Red Sea Reefer. My issue with that is I have cats and could see one of the little A-holes jumping into the tank. I also am unsure about the "kit" that comes with it. Are they a good quality product?

iannuzzelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 12:24 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

In general Marineland makes "decent" products..
They are not the top of the line nor are they something that you should avoid like the plague..

In general red sea makes a "better" product vs Marineland.. (and the price follows..)

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:35 PM   #3
iannuzzelli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
In general Marineland makes "decent" products..
They are not the top of the line nor are they something that you should avoid like the plague..

In general red sea makes a "better" product vs Marineland.. (and the price follows..)
What do you have? I certainly can't afford top of the line but I also can't afford to have a cheap one blow out. what would you recommend?

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:50 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I personally just picked up a Deep Blue Professional 80G rimless tank not too long ago and am VERY happy with it so far..
It was certainly not expensive either and I was able to get it from my local fish store for far less than its sold for online due to shipping costs I guess.

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:51 PM   #5
top shelf
Registered Member

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a marineland tank, I used a 15g as a sump without issue, granted much smaller but still good build quality. Out of the 2 you have suggested I would go with the 180. The two biggest factors being tank volume (60g is a pretty good difference towards stability) and the length of the 180. Given they have the same depth and heighth the extra length will allow you to keep a greater variety of fish. Personally I have an SCA which is similar to Red Sea in terms of offering equipment and stand but with a lower price tag. They offer a solid tank with good equipment and you can even call and get Steve to customize a tank and stand for you.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 01:13 PM   #6
iannuzzelli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a marineland tank, I used a 15g as a sump without issue, granted much smaller but still good build quality. Out of the 2 you have suggested I would go with the 180. The two biggest factors being tank volume (60g is a pretty good difference towards stability) and the length of the 180. Given they have the same depth and heighth the extra length will allow you to keep a greater variety of fish. Personally I have an SCA which is similar to Red Sea in terms of offering equipment and stand but with a lower price tag. They offer a solid tank with good equipment and you can even call and get Steve to customize a tank and stand for you.
Thank you for the input, I'd love to go with the larger of the two but the space (and the wife) might be an issue. I should also mention I am Canadian so any Canadian suppliers would be awesome.

Unread 12/06/2017, 01:26 PM   #7
top shelf
Registered Member

Sounds like a good place to start is to talk with the wife although sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness then permission. Decide where you would like to put your tank and pick the biggest one that will fit in that space. As for Canadian suppliers I'm sorry but can't really help you there as I live across the border.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 01:46 PM   #8
iannuzzelli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
can't really help you there as I live across the border.
I won't hold that against you.

I do want to go the biggest I can for the space, I am more concerned with finding a decent manufacturer at this point. I want to avoid having a catastrophic failure

Unread 12/06/2017, 02:57 PM   #9
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannuzzelli View Post
I won't hold that against you.

I do want to go the biggest I can for the space, I am more concerned with finding a decent manufacturer at this point. I want to avoid having a catastrophic failure
Hi there! I am not sure what your budget is.....but I have a Innovative Marine shallow reef 80. Gallon....they also make a 120 gallon shallow reef.....I am happy with them and their customer support. It is a all in one like the Red Sea...but not as expensive....and not as many bells and whistles as the Red Sea. I like the fact that it is 16 inches deep....easy to reach the sand without a ladder...

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 08:39 PM   #10
iannuzzelli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun View Post
Hi there! I am not sure what your budget is.....but I have a Innovative Marine shallow reef 80. Gallon....they also make a 120 gallon shallow reef.....I am happy with them and their customer support. It is a all in one like the Red Sea...but not as expensive....and not as many bells and whistles as the Red Sea. I like the fact that it is 16 inches deep....easy to reach the sand without a ladder...
I will have to check them out for sure! Thanks for the info

Unread 12/07/2017, 08:04 AM   #11
Xxero
Registered Member

I have a 36x18x25 Marineland 65g Reef Ready tank that's been running for about a year and a half now. It's a veeeery basic tank, but it is solid and well built.

I like the SC Aquariums tanks, as mentioned above, and it will probably be my next upgrade
http://www.scaquariums.com/category-s/101.htm

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 08:06 AM   #12
TokiHacker
Registered Member

my 180g marineland (although very very old) is still holding up incredibly well.

Unread 12/07/2017, 01:10 PM   #13
iannuzzelli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxero View Post
I have a 36x18x25 Marineland 65g Reef Ready tank that's been running for about a year and a half now. It's a veeeery basic tank, but it is solid and well built.

I like the SC Aquariums tanks, as mentioned above, and it will probably be my next upgrade
http://www.scaquariums.com/category-s/101.htm
Good to know about the Marineland tank

I am trying to get a quote for a similar tank from SC. If its decent I might just go with that option

Unread 12/07/2017, 02:31 PM   #14
billdogg
Registered Member

IMHO and IME, Marineland makes a fine tank. I know of several in the 20+ year range and still going strong. Either size is nice - as mentioned above, bigger is generally better.

As for a given tank leaking - is it is on a level and planar stand, any of the major manufacturer's tanks are as safe as can be reasonably expected.

My only suggestion, really, is to get one of whatever size without drains. "Reef Ready" to them generally means it will be plumbed for 1" drains, and they will be where they want them, not necessarily where you want them. It is way too easy to drill the holes yourself where you want them to be. I prefer center overflows so that both sides of the tank are as open and unobstructed as possible. (and the tank will be less expensive)

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:38 PM   #15
rocsec1
Registered Member

I have the 120 and wish I had the 180.i think I could much more with it then I can with the 120.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 10:02 PM   #16
jaking
Registered Member

SCA tanks just as good as red Sea tanks or is it worth the price difference??

jaking is offline   Reply With Quote