Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2018, 06:16 PM   #1
Emma1234
Registered Member

Shimmer Poll

Just wanted to see what people think. Some lights provide more shimmer than others. What do you think?

Is shimmer to distracting (say the tank is in you living room with your TV and the show/game is on)

Or, IYO, is the shimmer so cool, to you, that distraction isn't a thing for you. (Again assume the tank is in you living room with the TV and the show/game is on).

For the purposes of this survey please do not assume the tank is in a spot where distraction isn't an issue. THE TANK IS IN YOUR LR

Thanks! This is not a test. No correct answers. Just for fun

Emma1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Tripod1404
Registered Member

If you have a "single-point" light source like a LED and to a lower extend MH, it will cause shimmering. If the light source is large like T5HO bulbs, it wont cause shimmering.

About the distraction part. That is a very subjective preference. For me the tank itself is always a distraction. Whenever I look I always see something that can be improved or not at its best. Like; some a**hole fish bullying others, is there a white patch on my coral or am I just imagining stuff, hmm polyp extension seemed to be better a day ago, could that coral be dying. This hobby supposed to be relaxing, but more you are drawn into more stressful and distracting it gets .

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 06:58 PM   #3
Emma1234
Registered Member

Definitely know what you mean. The tank consumes soooooo much time and thought

But that is true whether it is in or out of the Living Room/TV area.

I'm trying to zero in on a more specific distraction, specifically: shimmer vs. TV. Does the shimmer (only the shimmer) bug you when your trying to watch or show/game? Or, not really, you don't even really notice the shimmer.

No pressure. This is not a test. This is a fun quiz.

Thanks for playing!

Unread 01/16/2018, 07:08 PM   #4
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Shimmer from Halides is nice, shimmer from point source LED like Kessil is way too much and really distracting IMO.

You can get a med amount of shimmer from regular LEDs as well, my Hybrid T5/hydra 26 fixture gives off a nice shimmer, not as much as a Halide by any stretch but still nice.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 07:10 PM   #5
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Nope it doesn't. But in my living room the tank is next to the couch that i sit and tv is in front. So I cannot look at both the tv and the tank at the same time. But I dont know if it would bother me if tank was next to the tv.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 07:58 PM   #6
Hydrus
Registered Member

My tank is very close to my tv and I LOVE the shimmer effect. I do not find it distracting at all. I live in a tiny house so there isn't much choice in where to put things. But yea, I don't find it distracting, even with the lights off in the room. I love to be able to watch tv then watch my tank during commercials lol. That pic has T5s on my tank because my LEDs fried (my new Photons arrive friday), but I normally have LEDs that produce a nice shimmer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:13 PM   #7
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
Shimmer from Halides is nice, shimmer from point source LED like Kessil is way too much and really distracting
Agreed.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:21 PM   #8
Emma1234
Registered Member

Hydrus - Love the tank!

Unread 01/16/2018, 08:25 PM   #9
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

To my eyes MH has the best skimmer and the most shimmer of any light. LED is really close to MH and has better color not only the coral color but the lighting color. My last 2 tanks where right next to my TV 1st was a 40B with a 250w MH 2nd was 75g with 2 250w MH and the was not distracting. The beauty of the reef inside the tank wws distracting but not the ligjting itself. Oh and I had no canopy, open top with pendants.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 09:13 PM   #10
HBtank
Premium Member

I think shimmer is my lowest priority, and then, only so much. Seems like hybrids get you there though.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 11:41 PM   #11
Hydrus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma1234 View Post
Hydrus - Love the tank!
Thanks!

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 12:10 AM   #12
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

No distraction will be present

Last edited by JUNBUG361; 01/17/2018 at 12:26 AM.
JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 06:45 PM   #13
Emma1234
Registered Member

Hey Everyone. Thanks for the input. Here is a summary of the extremely unscientific poll about whether shimmer is a distraction.

These folks weren't crazy about the shimmer from LEDs. And commented about the difference between the shimmer in LEDs versus metal halides
1. Cheepreef said. Shimmer from Halides is nice, shimmer from point source LED like Kessil is way too much and really distracting IMO. You can get a med amount of shimmer from regular LEDs as well, my Hybrid T5/hydra 26 fixture gives off a nice shimmer, not as much as a Halide by any stretch but still nice.

2. GQuinn agree with Cheepreef. Shimmer from Halides is nice, shimmer from point source LED like Kessil is way too much and really distracting IMO.

3. DesertreefTR4: To my eyes MH has the best skimmer and the most shimmer of any light. LED is really close to MH and has better color not only the coral color but the lighting color. My last 2 tanks where right next to my TV 1st was a 40B with a 250w MH 2nd was 75g with 2 250w MH and the was not distracting. The beauty of the reef inside the tank wws distracting but not the ligjting itself. Oh and I had no canopy, open top with pendants.

Middle of the road responses.
Cheepreef: You can get a med amount of shimmer from regular LEDs..... my Hybrid T5/hydra 26 fixture gives off a nice shimmer, not as much as a Halide by any stretch but still nice

HBtank: I think shimmer is my lowest priority, and then, only so much. Seems like hybrids get you there though.

These folks thought shimmer wasn't a distraction

Tripod1404: Nope it doesn't. But in my living room the tank is next to the couch that i sit and tv is in front. So I cannot look at both the tv and the tank at the same time. But I dont know if it would bother me if tank was next to the tv.

Hydrus: My tank is very close to my tv and I LOVE the shimmer effect. I do not find it distracting at all.

Junbug361: No distraction will be present

Unread 01/17/2018, 10:07 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

I love the shimmer myself and run 8 Kessil 360WE’s in addition to my 6 Mitras LX7206’s over my tank. As a scuba diver, the shimmer makes a reef look much more natural looking to me than a tank without the shimmer and I don’t find it to be distracting at all. Having run halides for a couple decades before switching to LED’s back in 2011, I missed the shimmer when I first made the transition to LED’s. Having run Kessils for a few years, I love having them over my tank even if they are now just supplemental to my Mitras. I love the shimmer. If anything is distracting in my tank, it’s the fish!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 01/17/2018 at 10:16 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 10:54 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

As somebody noted, shimmer is a function of the amount of surface agitation and the degree to which the light is a point source. If you use any of the point source kessil spots but have no surface agitation then no shimmer. If you use a line source light but have high surface agitation then you will still get shimmer. Whether one is too much, or too little is a mostly aesthetic choice. Mostly the animals won't care.

Also, keep in mind that shimmer is a shallow water phenomenon on natural reefs.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 10:12 AM   #16
oceanfan913
Registered Member

I thought it might be distracting but once my tank was up and running I liked the effect. I didn't do anything to enhance or reduce it, it was just there based on the setup and I grew to like it.

oceanfan913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 12:29 PM   #17
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

I don't care for the shimmer from my black box LEDs with what I call a lot of surface agitation. With my fixtures, I get a big Christmas tree effect once I hit a certain amount of agitation.

OTOH, on my previous freshwater tanks that had high power CF retrofits over them and as much or more surface agitation than I run on my salt tank, the shimmer was quite nice.

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 02:54 PM   #18
smatter
Registered Member

The shimmer from my Kessil isn't a distraction... at all, and it's right next to my recliner in the living room. I find T5s and halides much more distracting as there is so much light spill. I couldn't believe how dark my living room got when I replaced the halide.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 05:15 PM   #19
hersheyb
Registered Member

Kessils by far have the most shimmer. It was too much in shimmer for my taste, specially if your pumps are creating a lot of ripples on the surface of the water. Moderate shimmer is much less distracting, so I run an LED/T5 hybrid system, best of both worlds.

hersheyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 05:39 PM   #20
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
As somebody noted, shimmer is a function of the amount of surface agitation and the degree to which the light is a point source. If you use any of the point source kessil spots but have no surface agitation then no shimmer. If you use a line source light but have high surface agitation then you will still get shimmer. Whether one is too much, or too little is a mostly aesthetic choice. Mostly the animals won't care.

Also, keep in mind that shimmer is a shallow water phenomenon on natural reefs.
I find it funny when people attribute shimmer to kessil as if the light itself is generating the shimmer. like, you gotta get kessil in order to get shimmer lol.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:44 AM   #21
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

S'truth. On my recommendation, a buddy of mine bought a pair of A360 Tuna Sun for his planted tank. Calls me up .... conversations goes as follows:

Mark: Not sure I really like these new lights .... there's too much shimmer.
Me: Does it appear to be bothering your fish?
Mark: No, but it's bothering me
Me: OK, try aiming your locline outlets slightly lower in the tank to reduce surface agitation
Mark: OK, hang on .... cool shimmer is gone. Except I want some shimmer.
Me: Then adjust the locline to your preference.
Mark: Thanks.

It's not rocket science.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 10:29 AM   #22
Sorcha2
Registered Member

The shimmer really doesn't bother me but then again I have strip LEDs, low surface agitation, and a huge living room with the tank off to the side so I don't get a lot of shimmer and it's not in a location where it would be an issue. I'm wanting to up the amount of flow in my tank so it will be interesting to see if I get much more shimmer with that.

Sorcha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 11:13 AM   #23
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

for a light as expensive as kessil, it can't even be ramped down to 0, it shuts off at like 20% or a little lower (can't remember the exact percentage it shuts down). I know it is not a technology issue, as other lights, even DIY can ramp down to 0. Its more like their (lack of) engineering skill issue. That was the deal breaker for me when I was researching for a new light to buy. It's a wonder how it became popular.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 04:00 PM   #24
smatter
Registered Member

Lack of engineering skill issue Iol? Why do you need your lights to dim down to less than 10%?

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 05:00 PM   #25
tdurden
Registered Member

I always aim for what is closest to nature (whatever mimics the sun the closest). Therefore, I like shimmer.

The kessils are great led options if you want a lot of shimmer. They are not the only leds that shimmer, they just have more shimmer than pretty much every other led out there.

tdurden is offline   Reply With Quote