Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2014, 02:00 PM   #1
shawpanther23
Registered Member

Streaking on the inside of a glass aquarium

On the inside pane of my glass aquarium I have noticed streaks that are about 2 inches wide ,that run vertical about 6 inches apart across the front.They are not scratches or scrapes but a milky white smear or streak that to me looks a lot like the baked on salt creep that I get on my top glass covers.Contacted the tank manufacturer and he told me he has never heard of anything like this before ,he said the glass is guardian glass and it's the glass all aquarium builders use..So could it be possible that it is actually trapped in the glass itself?The tank has been set up for a year now and I didn't really seem to notice till about 4 or 5 months ago.If anyone has anything similar to this could you please share any information you might have.

shawpanther23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2014, 11:22 PM   #2
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Since no one has replied I will take a shot in the dark. You said it looks like baked on salt creep/milky white smears, are you sure it's not on the outside glass? The reason I ask is if you put your hands in the tank and get water drip on the glass then wipe the glass with a towel or similar with out some type of glass cleaner it will put a milky smear on the glass. If you come back later with a glass cleaner and clean the glass it will not come off with one or two cleaning. Do you clean your glass Vertically? may be the cause but like I said shot in the dark.

rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Epicreefer
Registered Member

I have heard of a similar issue with a tank before, very unusual though, and never heard of the end result. When glass is made it's molten and floats on molten tin to give a flat surface. A microscopic layer of tin or tin oxide forms on that side of the glass. You can tell the side with a uv light, the tin side is white the air side is clear. This glass tank was being dosed heavily with lanthum chloride for phosphate removal and about ten years old, thats the only strange thing about it. I would expect the whole pane to change not just a stripe or two.s May not be much help to you but it's an idea. I seriously doubt an imperfection inside glass would show up in distinctive bands but is more likely a surface flaw. Try cleaning by hand without an algae magnet and then maybe when water level is low/water change time, with vinegar or acid to see if it has any effect.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder sps
Epicreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2014, 11:31 PM   #4
shellz
Registered Member

I had a similar issue. The front and sides of tank turned a milky white. I had to contact the manufacturer about it, they had one other person that happened to as well. Manufacturer took tank back and replaced the glass all three sides which were starfire. It was a nightmare but fixed now

Current Tank Info: 78 Gallon Cube
shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2014, 11:35 PM   #5
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellz View Post
I had a similar issue. The front and sides of tank turned a milky white. I had to contact the manufacturer about it, they had one other person that happened to as well. Manufacturer took tank back and replaced the glass all three sides which were starfire. It was a nightmare but fixed now
Did you find out the reason for this to happen?

rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 01:40 PM   #6
provost_reefers
Registered Member

I know this is an old thread...but having the same issue. Seems to be getting worse now that tank is almost a year old.

provost_reefers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2019, 06:36 PM   #7
ali1
Registered Member

thread is old, but anyone else have this problem? Is it a defect?

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote