Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2010, 06:19 PM   #51
shackscs
Super Premier Member

Ready to begin the next bank of arrays.

I ordered the additional LEDS from Rapidled.com.

These will be wired to the DMZ driver shown here:

Whites:

Blues:

I also have a few loose Luxeon LEDS that I ordered awhile ago and will try mounting them to these stars:

I am also going to shoot for a cleaner look and route wires below the LEDS strips.

shackscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2010, 06:28 PM   #52
E-A-G-L-E-S
Registered Member

How far are you from Allentown? I'd love to take a gander sometime soon.
I believe my next 'thing to do' is to try building a pendant for my 30x30x24h cube but today is the first day I have done any reading on it.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2010, 06:40 PM   #53
cman_pogey
Registered Member

Hey man, great build, tagging along...

cman_pogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2010, 09:08 PM   #54
shackscs
Super Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post
How far are you from Allentown? I'd love to take a gander sometime soon.
I believe my next 'thing to do' is to try building a pendant for my 30x30x24h cube but today is the first day I have done any reading on it.
No too far depending on if you enjoy traveling. It is about 40-50 minutes away.

Once I get it all up and running you are more than welcome to swing by.

Good weather has had the "honey, do list" put me outside for a bit. Should have updated pics and progress by the weekend. I am already hoping for rain.

Unread 04/21/2010, 07:09 PM   #55
rascole
Registered Member

Look forward for the completion, looks like this may be my summer project.

rascole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 10:27 AM   #56
shackscs
Super Premier Member

Well trying to entertain a 2 year old with iCarly and Sponge Bob is a bad combination when working on LEDS.

Not only did I not pay attention to the orientation of the - and + positions, I also put 5 LEDS instead of 4 on each board.

Such a waste. Now I have to remove the LEDS (and the double sided tape that is holding them down) and glue them down. Bummer!!!

Picture of the boards:

What the boards should have looked like:

The driver I am using calls for 16 LEDS per driver board which is why I went with 4 per board.

Unread 05/05/2010, 10:52 AM   #57
slammin
Registered Member

Hey Shackscs,

work looks great, the crees look much brighter...I also have a solaris, and was wondering if there is any way you can re-use the controller off the solaris to control the cree led's?

slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2010, 03:41 PM   #58
shackscs
Super Premier Member

If you wire the boards to match the schematic of the Solaris boards you should be ok. If you are running the LEDS at 100%, you are going to have to turn them down. The Crees are sooooo much brighter.

As for an update:

I got the driver board up and runnning with the next two arrays but shorted it out whille manipulating it around and the bottom hit the heatsink and "POP" something died on the board. Going to wire the rest up as soon as possible.

Unread 09/01/2010, 11:35 AM   #59
rascole
Registered Member

Any update on the project? I have 2 48" that have several bad drivers that I need to replace. I am going to sell both and buy new or if yours works I may follow what you did. More pics to if you have them. Keep it up.

Unread 09/02/2010, 02:02 PM   #60
shackscs
Super Premier Member

Not bad. I have two of the six banks left to complete this weekend if time will permit. I am running the arrays through non-dimmable meanwell drivers connected to my Neptune controller. I have plenty of pics to show my progress, I will put them up first chance I get

Time got tight so I had to bag building the rest of DIY drivers..

Unread 09/02/2010, 03:17 PM   #61
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcress View Post
Looks good! (except for the obscenely large gauge wire)
LOL! Large but convenient because I've been meaning to ask you if you could relink to that spool of wire that you did several months ago which you said was a great deal and high quality...I think it was on like mouser or digikey or something?

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2010, 03:27 PM   #62
shackscs
Super Premier Member

I swapped the wire out for something thinner and easier to work with. As for large spool of wire, I don't think this was me that posted. I got all of my wire from the Rat Shack.

Unread 09/02/2010, 07:34 PM   #63
kcress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmer View Post
I've been meaning to ask you if you could relink to that spool of wire that you did several months ago which you said was a great deal and high quality...I think it was on like mouser or digikey or something?

Not Mouser or DK! They're obnoxious places to buy wire from because it's often wrapped with disgusting rotting tape that renders the wire almost unusable from sticky slime and paper shreds. And all that for over pricing!

Go here: http://www.bulkwire.com/

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2010, 08:42 PM   #64
rascole
Registered Member

Reffering to your post 3/18/10 where you used the MW to test the LEDs. Why even us the drivers if you can use the MeanWell power supply directly.

Unread 09/02/2010, 08:55 PM   #65
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Hey thanks for the link. Would you recommend anything other than the 22 AWG 300V hookup wire? I'd like to finally feel like I'm working with whatever is best for this application but I don't have any other experience which tells me what that is...

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2010, 04:54 PM   #66
shackscs
Super Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascole View Post
Why even us the drivers if you can use the MeanWell power supply directly.
The drivers would have driven more LEDS and which would have fewer cords to run the ficture. Time caught up with me and I just don't have the time like I used to.

I did great with my first DIY driver until I fried something when the bottom touched the heatsink and shortened out the board. Rookie mistake. My next attemped was not as successful as the first as I could not get both sides of the board to run. I am sure it was an issue with my soldering but again, I don't have time to go down that road just yet.

I have everything I need for the last part of this build and will post as soon as I have the time get pics and info up.

Unread 09/03/2010, 06:07 PM   #67
rascole
Registered Member

Keep up the good work. This weekend I plan to do a copy of your build with one of my 48". But plan on keeping it simple and use the MW drivers and control with my Aqua Controller 3. Of the LED choices you researched, what do you think is the best? Crees or Luxeon?

Unread 09/03/2010, 08:44 PM   #68
rascole
Registered Member

Also, I just started my shopping for LEDs and I went to rapidled.com, thanks by the way, and they have a "36 and a 48 Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit".
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...its/Categories
What do you think? Smilar to your set up? Price sound right? I think this might repalce a 24" to 36" section of a solaris. Thanks again.

Last edited by rascole; 09/03/2010 at 08:50 PM.
Unread 09/06/2010, 01:21 AM   #69
undertai
Registered Member

What Aluminum material from HomeDepot did you use?
Cause I'm looking for local sources for a heatsink. I can use this to put the leds on and then get a couple of old cpu heatsinks on the other side with a couple fans.

undertai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2010, 01:44 AM   #70
kcress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmer View Post
Hey thanks for the link. Would you recommend anything other than the 22 AWG 300V hookup wire? I'd like to finally feel like I'm working with whatever is best for this application but I don't have any other experience which tells me what that is...

Sorry widdy for the delay. Been one of those weeks with the stove failing, the sewer failing, and a %&<&#^ rat in the attic.

What you describe is what I'd use. That's dah'bomb.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 08:55 PM   #71
dahenley
Registered Member

any updates?
and do you use the solaris controller or no? (just using the housing so its nice looking)

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 09:58 AM   #72
CloudIX
Website Developer

He does not use the solaris controller or the solaris drivers. Only using the enclosure.

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon with a 80 gal sump. 400w Solaris lighting, MR-3 skimmer, Reeflow barracuda pump. 2 mp40w es
CloudIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 10:14 AM   #73
dahenley
Registered Member

has anyone found out how to upgrade the solaris to the higher W LED's and still use the neat features of the Solaris fixture?

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 09:35 AM   #74
CloudIX
Website Developer

You use to be able to replace the K2's with higher output K2's "LXK2-PWC4-0180" but they are completely sold out and discontinued. You have no other option but to replace the entire strip with the star mounted type like he used here. You could connect those to the factory drivers and would be good to go.

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon with a 80 gal sump. 400w Solaris lighting, MR-3 skimmer, Reeflow barracuda pump. 2 mp40w es
CloudIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2012, 07:32 AM   #75
shackscs
Super Premier Member

I know it has been a year since I updated this but I did complete this project and it is still up and running with no problems or burnt out LEDS like the original Solaris.