Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2016, 11:25 AM   #51
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Here is a closer view of the left side:

Here is the right side:

Now you can really see the bulkhead in the back of the drip tray what will allow an overflow to run out of the house. I never really use to worry about that as I had WAY more than enough room in my old 180g sump/refugium. When the siphon quit I still had room for another 20g. But with this smaller sump and not only the DT but the display refugium both siphoning down to the sump... I just want to be as safe as possible.

I'm happy about waiting for Grainger to get in gate valves rather than using ball valves. I used the ball valve at the water change outlet because there is no need to 'control' the flow out of it. It needs to be open or shut so a ball valve makes sense.

I started my water test and found I had two leaks. Both were at adaptors to go from 1" pipe down to 1/2" pipe for the 2 smaller gate valves. And both were dripping at the glue joint from the 1" 'T' to the adaptor. I didn't think they were as snug as they should have been so I used extra glue and rolled them back and forth hoping to get a good melting and thus a good seal. Guess I was wrong. Now I've done a repair and will leave things to cure for a day.

Meanwhile I pull the Crossflow out of my frag tank and swap it for the Gyre and put the Crossflow in the DT. I can cut and install the trim pieces to go around the edges of the drip tray so nothing can fall in behind the tray and become nearly impossible to recover. I can start work on the 2'x2'x20" display refugium as well. I'm hoping the 36" 2 door cabinet shows up in the next week to 10 days as I'm anxious to get moving on that phase of the build.

Unread 08/28/2016, 12:22 PM   #52
DePinchGonze
Registered Member

How far do your drain tubes go into the socks? It looks like they go into the sock, how do you get the socks out to change them?

DePinchGonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 01:26 PM   #53
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

The drain tubes are 'spa' pipe which is very flexible and they only go about 2" or 3" into the sock. They lift out easy for sock changes. I'm looking forward to keeping a 'cleaner' tank with water that is a little more clear than my old system.

Unread 08/28/2016, 01:32 PM   #54
DePinchGonze
Registered Member

Ahh I see. The only reason is ask is because I have my returns the same way however I used spa flex (not so flexible) it's a pain to ge the socks out, might have to look in to that. Any noticeable noise from those spa pipes?

DePinchGonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 03:43 PM   #55
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePinchGonze View Post
Ahh I see. The only reason is ask is because I have my returns the same way however I used spa flex (not so flexible) it's a pain to ge the socks out, might have to look in to that. Any noticeable noise from those spa pipes?
Not with the one I have on my 65g shallow reef. This system hasn't had enough water init yet to get water down the drain pipe. Waiting for some 3M 5200 adhesive to cure on a repair of a leaky pvc glue job... well, really a bad fitting between to pvc parts.

Unread 08/28/2016, 05:46 PM   #56
gone fishin
Registered Member

Looking like it is all coming together. I got retirement envy, I am getting close enough that it is a reality but not quite there yet.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 04:59 AM   #57
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I just checked the 3M 5200 adhesive repair of the small pvc leaks and it appears to be setting up just fine. I'm going to let it cure until late this afternoon and then add water and check again for leaks. The 3M 5200 is a slow to cure adhesive, but damn does it ever hold.

Retirement envy. Ha! I understand that. I don't know how I survived when I was working 40 hour weeks. Even now I can't get everything done that I want to do. It's funny, my older brother worked full time until he was 72 because he didn't know what he would do with himself if he didn't work. My younger brother and I both retired early and still don't have enough time! And in a couple of years when my wife retires we'll start to travel more, yikes!

Unread 08/29/2016, 10:23 AM   #58
SCARYBO
Registered Member

Looks Great Ron! Wish I had your DIY skills.

"All things thru Him"

Current Tank Info: Re-entering the hobby
SCARYBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 03:32 PM   #59
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Thanks. 15 years of doing home maintenance can come in handy!

I finally had the chance to make the fittings that fill in the narrow gaps around the edges of the drip tray. I dropped one down behind the back and it took my 15 minutes to get it out!

Here you can clearly see the gap at the right end of the box.

And here it is with the new lip in place. They are all easy to remove and can't fall in behind the box as they have vertical bars that keep them from tipping down and falling.

There was the same gap along the back and it is even deeper and now it's covered.

And the left end is done as well.

Unread 08/29/2016, 07:10 PM   #60
neiltus
Registered Member

i see water

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592260
neiltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 04:42 AM   #61
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltus View Post
i see water
Ha! Yes. I got enough water in the sump to submerge the DCT15000 and turned it on. It didn't take very long and I saw a leak, shut the pump off and stopped adding water. While cleaning up the leak (between a 1" and 1/2" adaptor) I noticed a second leak! Damn! And it was between a second 1" to 1/2" adaptor as well! I'm claiming defective parts rather than poor workmanship!

Taking that apart would have been a lot of new parts as it's all glued together and I didn't want to go there. So I seriously dried and cleaned the fittings, took some 3M 5200 marine adhesive and laid a good coat over the leaky joint, let it cure for a few hours (still soft and tacky) then wrapped over it with white electrical tape stretched out to apply some pressure to the adhesive. I let that cure for 24 hours (it takes 48 to get a good cure and 5 days for full cure) and then wrapped a rubber gasket over the tape and put a hose clamp over the rubber gasket.

My hope (fingers crossed) is that this stops the leak. Otherwise it's tear half my plumbing out and do it over again! I'm 99.5% sure it will work, but that 0.5% sure does nag at you while you are waiting 2 days before you can test your work!

If it works I'm up and running on Tuesday. If it fails, I go buy a bunch of new pvc parts and do it over again on Tuesday and test it again on Wednesday. Either way I'm getting close.

And my cabinet supplier who did our kitchen 6 months ago called last night to let me know our new bathroom cabinets are in. The leaky 180g tank destroyed the 27 year old pressed board cabinet in the hall bath (it was on the other side of the wall the tank was on). So we are putting new ones that match the kitchen in both bathrooms and I get a 36" 2 door cabinet that goes with the aquarium stand. That's where the 50g display refugium I'm making will sit.

By the end of the week I expect to have water and rockscape in the 125g... maybe even some hearty corals and a small fish? It depends on the mix of dead rock and live rock I get into the rockscape. I think the LR in my other sump is better looking than the rock in the Brutes (in freshwater & mild muriatic acid) that came out of the old 180g tank.

Unread 08/30/2016, 08:47 AM   #62
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Success! I added some water to the sump and started the pump. No leaks. So I filled the entire system with fresh water and have it running on the main pump. Still no leaks! I'll let it run awhile and if all is still good I'll drain it and refill with sand and salt water! Oh boy, I get to start doing rockscaping! Hopefully by late today.

Oh, and when I turned off the pump to check siphon from the tank to the sump, the tank when down less than 1/2" and the sump rose less than 1". Woohoo!

Unread 08/30/2016, 09:48 AM   #63
Oldcabin
Registered Member

Congrats! What a relief that you didn't have to re-do the plumbing!
Always feels good to get wet!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 525XL
Oldcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 11:43 AM   #64
SCARYBO
Registered Member

Congrats!!! Time to get wet

"All things thru Him"

Current Tank Info: Re-entering the hobby
SCARYBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 01:40 PM   #65
clownaround2
Registered Member

It looks great! Really nice job Ron! So the third box made it - good to know. Love all your comments "it's only a rectangle, how hard could it be". I had to look up helicoils, so it might give you an idea. They should put you on the payroll and make your pvc splash pan an option. How do you like the pump that came with it? Is it sufficient enough or are you still thinking about switching it out? Might be to early to tell.. I do love the clean modern look of the whole setup. Same goes for the ReefBreeders Photon light fixture. I'm still running VHO's on my system and definitely want to switch to led's. Is it tricky to install, since it's not a rimless tank?

clownaround2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 05:24 PM   #66
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

The main tank now has 2" of sand and is 2/3rds full with salt water, but the sump is still empty.

clownaround2, thanks. The missing plumbing hardware made it, but I hardly used any of it as I wanted to do more than basic and they provide metric... so...

The 'box' went together easily. And I ended up not using the helicoils because they were so small and very short. So I drilled out the holes in the cabinet and ran in zip-it drywall anchors that use the same size screw. Worked like a charm and now I have metal threads in the stand in case I ever need to pull the 2 uprights.

The pump that came with the system looks almost exactly the same as a Jebao DCT10000. I just put it on a shelf, unused. I put my Jebao DCT15000 in the system because I will be running more hardware than CadLight assumed. A 50g remote display refugium and a chiller that is 30 feet away out behind the house. I may even add a second fuge inside the new cabinet just to grow algae and pods.

I'm happy with the clean look as well. Now I just hope I can do a rockscape that will do the 'look' justice.

The new Photons are really nice. The only weak point I've seen so far is the battery life of the rechargeable in the remote. But it charges quickly when plugged into the USB on my laptop.

As to fitting it on the tank... I had to cut away the inside edge of the foot because my tank isn't rimless, it's eurobraced. The foot is adjustable so it can go on rimless or with a normal plastic frame, but the eurobrace is way too wide. So I just need to be cautious and make sure the legs are 'stretched' a bit to go over the ends of the tank. I may try to diy a fix later, but I have too many irons in the fire right now!

Unread 08/31/2016, 06:22 AM   #67
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

While I still had freshwater in the system and there was some bits of foam and pvc in the water, I decided to turn on the 2 RW8 wavemakers and the Crossflow to see what the flow looked like. Below is a short video.

I’m pretty happy with what I saw, but I still plan to add a 2nd Crossflow on the other end of the tank. But just for fun I calculated how much flow and how many turns I would have if I ran all 4 pumps at full speed. And this is not taking into account the DCT15000 sump pump. There is 2110gph for each RW8 and 4625gph for each Crossflow which equals 13,470 gph. Yikes! Divided by an actual 115 gallons in the tank equals 117 turns per hour… can you say sand storm in a glass box!

But my intention is to run some kind of a tidal schedule, water flowing one way for 6 hours and then back the other way for 6 hours, just like the tides. And at the change over point I’ll have a mix of pumps for an hour or two that create a chaotic flow. Maybe a small mix like the 2 RW8 or a bigger mix like the 2 Crossflows. I could even have a slack tide where there is hardly any flow at all, like one RW 8 for and hour and then the other RW8 for an hour.

But that’s for later. Today’s project is making 2 platforms with egg crate and pvc pipe. The idea is to make pvc pipe legs long enough to hold egg crate platforms about 1” to 2” above the sand. Then place most of the rockscape on the platforms with just enough rock on the sand at the edges of the egg crate to hide it from view. I’ll take pics as I go through the process and post them here so you can see how I end up with whatever I end up with!

Unread 09/02/2016, 06:00 AM   #68
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

My old but thoroughly washed out sand is in the tank, it’s full of new saltwater and its been running for 24 hours. Yeah! On Thursday here is what I got done.

So now I get to start on my rockscape. Here are most of my goals:
1. A sloping island shaped like a football half buried in the sand
2. Cut in half through the middle by a channel or chasm
3. One side tall enough to reach very near the surface
4. 80% or more of the rock will be off the sand on platforms
5. Lots of hollows inside the rockwork
6. A cave made from pvc pipe
7. As many ‘special rocks as I can fit (you’ll see… I hope)

Here is what the platforms are and how they are made. PVC pipe cut at 3 1/2" with 2 holes drilled and tied to the egg crate with cable ties.

And here they are in the tank. With the legs pressed down into the sand they are quite stable. They are off set from each other and the channel will run through between them.

Now to get started sorting out my live rock and dead rock to pick out the pieces I want. I hate to rush this part, but I have 4 small tanks that are very over crowded and 2 have no filtration. I've been doing water changes, but I have lost several nice coral colonies and frags along with a flame scallop and a couple of oysters. So I want the new tank up and running as quickly as possible.

Unread 09/02/2016, 06:24 AM   #69
Electrobes
Montipora type guy

If only I wasn't in Orlando for vacation! I wish I was there helping you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 100G Half Cylinder
Electrobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2016, 08:33 AM   #70
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrobes View Post
If only I wasn't in Orlando for vacation! I wish I was there helping you!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Rockscape and coral placement is kind of a one person operation. But I appreciate the thought.

When do you get back? I'm about ready to start shopping for things I need for the Apex. Like the screen you have hanging on the wall. I saw David has the same setup and said he got the idea from you!

I'm close to done with the rockscape already and will start moving corals as soon as the water clears. I'm using a lot of LR from the sump of the reef room 200g system and I'll probably just do 2 very small fish with the corals. I think I can keep ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in line and force a long slow cycle. The corals don't produce much waste.

I'd rather take my chances with that than continue to see things die off in the holding tanks! I'm kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.

Unread 09/02/2016, 12:29 PM   #71
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

These were taken earlier (late morning). But I wanted people to see how I've tried to keep empty space inside the island. Lots more rock has been added and even coral is going in now. I'll take more when I'm done for the day... I am getting tired. Sorting through LR in my sump and 2 Brutes full of dead rock takes it toll, even on a young guy like me!

The left side of the island is virtually hollow inside and there is a pvc pipe creating an entrance cave into the hollow. The pipe entrance is in the channel between the two halves.

The right side will be similar but not as big and no big access hole so only smaller critters can get in through the cracks and gaps.

Unread 09/03/2016, 04:43 PM   #72
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

OK, so a lot of corals are in the tank, but this is really just a preliminary set up. I'll be making a lot of changes to both rockscape and coral placement over the next week or more. I had 2 small tanks full of coral from my old broken 180g tank and there was no filtration. So I figured I'd rather watch them in the new tank than let them die in the small tanks. Doing water changes to make up for no filtration was getting really old really fast, almost 4 weeks was too long.

There is still a bit of egg crate platform showing, but that will be easy to hide. The PVC cave entrance in the channel is very obvious, but I will eventually get some rock tucked in around the edges to hide it better. The far right end of the tank is littered with 'orphan' corals right now. I intend to clean that up and just have some macro algae and some rock flower and mini-maxi anemones... maybe a RBT too.

I like the spikes at the top of the island. There are 2 'house' rocks (man made hollow rock with an opening). I've found several critters like to use them especially at night. There are 2 mag rocks on the back wall and I'm very undecided about whether they stay or go. The birdsnest coral that is hanging at the far left end was grown from a tiny accidental frag that was less than an inch long about 4 months ago. Hanging them is how some of the coral restoration groups grow them in the Keys and other reefs. I just did it for fun. Lucky for me because the big parent colony died along with 4 or 5 other nice coral colonies.

Here are a couple of FTS.

And here are a couple of closer shots of the left and right sides.

And here are a couple shots of the cut through the island.

Unread 09/04/2016, 07:06 AM   #73
neiltus
Registered Member

Looks great!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592260
neiltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 09:55 AM   #74
reefwars
Registered Member

Looking great Ron a fresh start adds a new life to the hobby eh I'm excited to see where this tank goes do you plan to keep the legs on the light or switch later to something else? Maybe two wall mount brackets would look clean the overall look of the system is very clean and nice I like it also liked the idea of an external fuge display I'm going that route myself with some mangroves and macro

Incredible job man I'll be following for sure

reefwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 11:06 AM   #75
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty open to improvements as time goes by. This was a serious rush job from tearing down the leaky 180 and then the rest of the old system. Then doing wall repairs, to shopping for a new system and waiting for delivery. Then doing custom plumbing because I'm doing a lot that CadLight didn't consider (darn metric fitting supplied with the tank).

I've done a marginal amount of looking for a way to mount the lights. But I'm going to be very picky. It has to be clean and very minimal (no chains or cables), but I would like the ability to adjust up and down as well as forward and back. It will be a tough one to source or diy.

I expect the next cabinet to be delivered on Tuesday. I could have had it on Thur or Fri but we had some very crappy weather behind hurricane Hermine. I hope to start the refugium build today or tomorrow.

I corals and critters have been in the tank 3 or 4 days. It took 2 days to move most of the corals and catch the other guys. I tested the parameters after everybody was in and again this morning which has been 3 days. Ammonia and nitrate are still 0, Ca is 400, alk is 9.5, Mg is 1420 and temp is 81F (the chiller isn't hooked in yet).

This will be an interesting cycle (or non-cycle) and maturing process. About 75% of the rock is live from the sump of my other system, so good bacteria and a few sponges, but not much else so I don't expect much if any die off. The other 25% is from my 180 and it was all acid washed and quite dead. The sand is from the 180 as well, and it was seriously washed in fresh water. The corals were all in unfiltered tanks so I suspect good bacteria levels on them as well. My feeling is that corals don't produce much waste, there aren't many members of the clean up crew and 2 small fish who will be fed sparingly over the next week or two. If things go well, I'll start to move a fish or 2 every week or two. The fish are all in the 65g shallow reef in the reef room. It's crowded, but it's well filtered with a 120g sump/refugium.

I'm a rather nervous guy at this point (normally I'm very relaxed and calm), but I'm both optimistic and have my fingers crossed!