Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2007, 09:56 AM   #26
Reggae Fish
Premium Member

Glad you found the other light. Good thinking

Why don't you just hook the 4 corners of the bracing holding the 2 MH's and use a crank pulley?

Reggae Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2007, 10:29 AM   #27
DrBDC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kipher
BTW, What is in those brown retangular boxes on the side of the MH reflector?
Those came right out of an indoor pool with a drop ceiling. The reflectors aren't real shiny (not too bad though) although they could probably be polished up but with 2X400 over it I shouldn't have to worry too much about it especially once I get the frag rack in there. I would have put the rack in last night if I was comfortable with the supporting chains.

The rectangular boxes are the ballasts.

DrBDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2007, 10:37 AM   #28
DrBDC
Registered Member

Oh, and they had a bumpy glass cover that was installed on a door that was on them for accessing the bulbs from below. I removed the diffuser glass of course. And then changed those regular mh bulbs that look like footballs. I added Iwasaki 6500K bulbs.

Current Tank Info: 180g sps+75 softy/lps on one system tunze's, seio's, mjmods, aquacontroller w/add ons, 2X400 XM10000 and 3X160 vho actinic, 110g sump, 110 frag tank, Geo Beckett and other stuff
Unread 04/23/2007, 12:56 PM   #29
zt444a
Registered Member

Roy it looks outstanding. Can't wait to see what you have done in person....

" When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris. "

Current Tank Info: None atm
zt444a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2007, 02:04 PM   #30
DrBDC
Registered Member

The 175 pendant is ready for you to borrow and you can see it then.

Current Tank Info: 180g sps+75 softy/lps on one system tunze's, seio's, mjmods, aquacontroller w/add ons, 2X400 XM10000 and 3X160 vho actinic, 110g sump, 110 frag tank, Geo Beckett and other stuff
Unread 04/23/2007, 06:18 PM   #31
DrBDC
Registered Member

Talk about some tight temp control. I should have bought a chiller a long time ago. I tend to run my tanks a little hotter but I have 78 as the target temp in the month of April. On the graph you can see a straight line where it was offline yesterday (sunday) and then when it comes back online you can see it changing. Very little variation as the day goes on! Temp is the display and TmpA is the frag tank where the chiller is.

Unread 04/24/2007, 11:50 AM   #32
pewter_jean
Registered Member

I like what you are doing Roy, I know it will be great. Keep us updated. And tell Angie to keep the pictures coming as well. She has a good eye for just the right pictures.

Rena
pewter_jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2007, 09:51 PM   #33
DrBDC
Registered Member

Well I got my frag rack in the frag tank today. The lighting isn't the easiest to get a large item like that past. It's easy to get to for regular arm work but that rack was tough. I also drained the muriatic acid out of the display tank in the garage and refilled with water.

I have a LOT more room for frags now!

Unread 04/25/2007, 01:52 AM   #34
drummereef
Team RC Member

Ah, that's so sweet. I might have to come over and do some shopping.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2007, 06:07 PM   #35
DrBDC
Registered Member

Please do!

Today I got a 2nd rinse of the tank to get the acid out and I scrubbed it well. I did one last filling with tap for another rinse which will sit in it for another day or so. I'll still need to tip the tank on it's side during the move around through the back yard (while I have some helping hands around) and hose out the overflows well. They're pretty clean but I still want to give them a rinse. Had I hosed those out in the garage it would have made a mess since there are no durso's in there right now.

I'm hoping to coordinate a few hands on Friday eve or Sat to get it around the house and sitting close to the existing display so I can add my sand and at least a tiny bit of water. I'll move the existing corals to the frag tank earlier that day or the night before.

Unread 04/27/2007, 06:17 AM   #36
DrBDC
Registered Member

Drained the final rinse water from the display tank in the garage. I've rounded up some help for Sat. afternoon around 4 to move it into the house. Or if the Mrs. want's to have people over Sat. night we'll do it later in the eve when some friends arrive.

I also got the salt mix barrel inside, cut an access hole and a bulkhead in the bottom. I plumbed it up so it leaves the bottom and goes into the pump (a t'd off intake pipe w/valve is present as well to draw from a ro/di reservoir I'm adding). Then when it leaves the pump it has 2 ways to go depending on valve status, either back into the salt mix container for mixing or the 2nd outlet will go to the tank for water changes.

Unread 04/29/2007, 08:34 AM   #37
DrBDC
Registered Member

Well yesterday we carried the tank around back. On the way we stopped and took it up on it's side for one last rinse with the hose. It's clean looking now!

And the big item for the day is my friend Dave (lostmarbles) came over and we added a 125A subpanel to the fish room and for now we added 7 20 amp circuits with gfi's! I have a lot of wire arranging and cleaning up to do. Got rid of the extension cords across the basement too!

Unread 04/29/2007, 01:51 PM   #38
DrBDC
Registered Member

Today so far I've plumbed up the salt mix bucket the way it will stay. Here's some pics of yesterday and today's work:

Salt mix pumping:

GFI's on the wall. We have 6 circuits (only 5 right now because I need another gfi as you can see)

And my subpanel! Yay!!

Unread 04/29/2007, 02:08 PM   #39
JxMetal
Registered Member

looks good!

Now the real question................when you going to sell me one of those superman frags?

JxMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2007, 02:41 PM   #40
DrBDC
Registered Member

As soon as I post a pic of the tank in place with corals in the display, I'll have some ready. The mother colony will get another fragging before I put it in the 180 so I can leave it alone in there for awhile.

Unread 04/30/2007, 09:50 PM   #41
MrsDrBDC
Registered Member

You guys are missing out.
I have a WAY better pic that you could completely expand upon but Roy won't let me post it b/c this is a "family friendly" forum.

Current Tank Info: 180gal monster w/ all the trimmings, 75gal softy / leather tank, 120gal sump, 150 gal frag / cast-off tank.
MrsDrBDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2007, 04:56 AM   #42
DrBDC
Registered Member

Oh great.

I didn't spend a penny it was all trade or 20 bucks!

Unread 05/01/2007, 05:39 PM   #43
DrBDC
Registered Member

Well I got some bad news Sunday. A frag I gave to my electrician buddy had red bugs. He gave 1/2 to another guy Matt aka Trottman and it seems that Trottie has an eagle eye for bugs. But this is actually working well with the switch. Or at least trying to find the silver lining. One good thing is the electrician is doing a treatment in his tank right now anyway. I moved all my corals over to the frag tank and disconnected it from the main system. I did 2-1/2 tablets in the 110 frag tank (aiming for the close to 10X as suggested by Borneman.

Now with no acro's in the main display I will let it's contents and the sump sit without any acros for 5 days as also suggested in the following article:

http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes...Treatment.html

I guess since I needed to move all the corals back to that tank anyway for the switch, I just motivated myself sooner maybe. I had hoped to leave the frag tank connected to the sump during the swap for filtration so I'll have to rely on some water changing (as if I wasn't needing a lot more water already) and I'll move my phosban reactor with carbon over to the frag tank to help out. I don't want to wipe out the pods in the sump. If I seem to have a problem showing up on my tests I'll try to pull a bunch of cheato and take to the new display thus taking out and saving a large amount of pods. That will let me get the skimmer in the loop if need be.

So I've been testing myself to see if the tank can be moved over that 5 ft or so sitting on the stand and I can lift the one end off the ground so depending on who's on the other end I think it can be moved as one, then lined up, leveled and start putting the sand in. I need to contact the guy buying the 90 and see what day he wants to come pick it up. I think he's going to try and keep the corraline moist and alive in transit. If so I'll leave some orange bam bams that I had growing on the back wall too.

Unread 05/01/2007, 05:42 PM   #44
DrBDC
Registered Member

Another silver lining is that there is a frag swap on May 12th which I can say I'm red bug free no questions!

Unread 05/03/2007, 07:09 AM   #45
DrBDC
Registered Member

Yesterday I got that 7th gfci on and stuck the little gfci protected stickers on all the outlets.

Well I was looking at the tank sitting there and was going to wait until today to switch when I was sure I could get help. But I thought, why wait I'll get/beg/bribe someone to help me move it.

I first pulled all the remaining corals, fish, other animals and rock out and into 3 different storage totes I picked up at Lowes.

I called my dad who lives close to come over and see if he could possibly help scoot the tank and he couldn't get the other end off the ground. He was able to help me move the 90 over no problem. So my dad and my wife pushed while I lifted the other end off the ground and we got the tank in place.

Since I'm not done with my canopy I have to make due with the canopy from the 90 for a bit but it cleared rather quickly.

It looks bare still with almost all the coral in the frag tank and the rocks aren't arranged quite right yet but it's closer!

Unread 05/03/2007, 07:16 AM   #46
DrBDC
Registered Member

And no I don't plan on those rocks out front quite that way, thats just where I set little rocks that either had zo's or something on them or I wasn't sure where to put the littler rocks and it was slightly cloudy. Cloudy water and a foxface aren't necessarily the best working conditions.

Unread 05/03/2007, 10:56 AM   #47
inwall75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBDC
Cloudy water and a foxface aren't necessarily the best working conditions.

It's really coming along now very nicely Doc. I also have to say that I didn't know that there were controllers that did graphs for you.....that's cool.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Current Tank Info: 7.5g nano, 75g Inwall, 18g nano, 12g nano, 200g prop tank
inwall75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2007, 01:05 PM   #48
DrBDC
Registered Member

I think all the aquacontroller do but ?? Mine is an AC3.

Unread 05/03/2007, 10:26 PM   #49
drummereef
Team RC Member

Yes, all the Aquacontrollers have this capability. My ACjr graphs too. The progress is coming along nicely, Dr.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2007, 05:35 AM   #50
DrBDC
Registered Member

Thanks. I can't really take pics because I don't have my halides hooked up yet and I suck at taking pics under actinics. I have to use the flash or it comes out smurf blue. Soaking that sand for a couple weeks really made a difference on the start up cloudiness of the oolitic sand. Last time I used this sand (it was southdown, actually playrite or whatever the other packaging was called) I clouded up for about a week even after a good rinsing. But the rinsing is "supposed" to rinse a lot of the fine particles that are actually wanted.

I need to get on finishing that canopy up this weekend. I'm hoping for Sat being able to finish construction of it and then stain/seal it.

I also need to go get some fish before the tangs become comfortable and territorial. I'm going searching today and tomorrow. I want a hippo tang but I haven't been very impressed with the health of the ones I've been seeing although I've only checked a couple stores. I've been noticing ich problems everywhere I've looked the last 6 months and I'm glad I hadn't been in a fish buying mode because of that. I think I'll go with a group of anthias but I need to get the hardier ones if I do that.