Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2017, 11:49 AM   #76
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
GCC is the PC software used to program the lights.
You do not need a Profilux. I don't currently have one on my nano. They are two completely separate items.
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to look into these lights a little further.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 11:53 AM   #77
Elricsfate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Very nice write up! It's about time there's a LX7 thread here on RC! I just installed 6 of the LX7's over my main display and the colors that I am seeing in my corals are spectacular. I had an early LX7 demo unit over my frag tank for that last few months which I was lucky enough to get my hands on after MACNA and that sold me on them.

It's great that we now have an LX7 thread here on RC. This could be a great thread for sharing projects and settings. I am still finalizing my settings as I am in the acclimation process still but I will be sure to share my settings as well. One thing that is really nice about the GHL software is that you can pick your kelvin range and use that to create your ramp points so the color matches or have a higher kelvin for the dusk/dawn effect and a lower kelvin for peak lighting periods with a nice natural ramping transition between. What I also found cool was the fact that they connect to the network via wifi so you don't need the included USB cable to make changes to them. I also liked the fact that you can control and program them via GHL Control Center software or the MyGHL cloud interface.

Here are a few shots of mine. As I said, I am still acclimating my tank to the new lights on my rack. I am still trying to determine if 6 of them will be enough which it appears as though will work if I have the lights up high enough and the intensity up enough. I am still acclimating to the new lights so I have 8 of my 10 original Kessils up there at the moment.

I can't help but be impressed by this lighting setup. Awesome.

Elricsfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 12:18 PM   #78
scuzy
Registered Member

My local shop called my lights should be in tomorrow. Can't wait to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 09:06 PM   #79
scuzy
Registered Member

Woohoo just picked them up

Will install this weekend.

Unread 02/17/2017, 09:21 PM   #80
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Anyone know how to setup a way to quickly put the light in a special mode for taking photos? Can it be done without going into GHLCC? Anyone have a good profile for taking photos? Should I keep the color spectrum around 10k or close to it?

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 10:02 PM   #81
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
Anyone know how to setup a way to quickly put the light in a special mode for taking photos? Can it be done without going into GHLCC? Anyone have a good profile for taking photos? Should I keep the color spectrum around 10k or close to it?

You do it with maintenance modes.
Set it up in GCC and then you can access it any time with the screen on the Mitras.
Somewhere around 10-12k would be best.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 10:34 PM   #82
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
You do it with maintenance modes.
Set it up in GCC and then you can access it any time with the screen on the Mitras.
Somewhere around 10-12k would be best.
Thanks, got it figured out thanks to your help!

Unread 02/19/2017, 10:51 PM   #83
scuzy
Registered Member

So whenever I tried upgrading my firmware from gcc it starts the fails out have to reset by unplugging. Could it be a Windows 10 issue?

Unread 02/19/2017, 11:02 PM   #84
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
So whenever I tried upgrading my firmware from gcc it starts the fails out have to reset by unplugging. Could it be a Windows 10 issue?

What kind of error? Are you updating via USB or ethernet? Win 10 32 bit or 64 bit? I'm running Win 10 64 bit and had no issues with the upgade but I am also not running the latest version of GCC. You might try the last version which you should be able to download from the GHL website and see what that does. I think the FW version I'm running is 1.04 which is likely what you have and is pefectly stable. As such, I am not sure there is any reason to yodate the FW unless there were some features added that I'm not aware of.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 11:16 PM   #85
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm having the same issue. I made sure I enabled run as admin and still doesn't work. I have it directly connected with USB and am using windows 10.

Unread 02/19/2017, 11:19 PM   #86
cpllongjk
Registered Member

I'm running the latest GCC version and 1.04 on Mitras. GCC tells me there's a firmware update but I can't update. In the end I stopped trying I didn't want to do anything bad.

Unread 02/20/2017, 01:44 AM   #87
scuzy
Registered Member

I have the same version on a Windows 10 machine. Just left it as is.

Unread 02/20/2017, 10:13 AM   #88
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:

I have the same problem (Windows 7.) The regular USB drivers work fine when talking to the Mitras. However, the "USBVCOM" driver that is used for updating the firmware doesn't seem to work. Windows recognizes it, but it fails to load properly (Just has a yellow exclamation mark by it in Windows device manager), so the firmware update fails to start. I've removed it, re-installed by manually pointing to the special driver in the install folder, tried different USB ports, nothing seems to work. Tried a couple different versions of GHL app (Currently 1.0.9.4) and that doesn't make a difference either, so I've just left it as-is (FW ver. 1.04)

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 07:42 PM   #89
scuzy
Registered Member

So where can I go to download some light composer profiles?

Unread 02/20/2017, 09:50 PM   #90
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So where can I go to download some light composer profiles?
This URL was setup just for that very purpose. To share composer projects. There are a few there now for the LX7 and many more to come. It's a user based location so hopefully others will share their projects. I am almost done with my acclimation process and will be uploading mine in the coming days once I have it finalized..

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/sup...oser-projects/

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/21/2017, 10:17 PM   #91
rodneyri
Registered Member

Im looking at lighting right now...comparing this one to the Radion G4 Pro. anyone had both to give feedback?

Unread 02/22/2017, 02:36 AM   #92
scuzy
Registered Member

Finally mounted mine this weekend. Nothing fancy like aluminum rails but this would do.

Unread 02/22/2017, 07:11 AM   #93
d2mini
Registered Member

^^^ That looks great!

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 02/22/2017, 08:10 AM   #94
FPSD
Registered Member

Scuzy, how do they compare to what you had? How is the coverage?

FPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 08:15 AM   #95
vitodog
Registered Member

Quote:
Finally mounted mine this weekend. Nothing fancy like aluminum rails but this would do.

Nice job.

Unread 02/22/2017, 09:49 AM   #96
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSD View Post
Scuzy, how do they compare to what you had? How is the coverage?

Coverage is awesome. Still adjusting light so I can't tell yet. But love the controllability and how easy to use with myghl.

Unread 02/22/2017, 10:07 AM   #97
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Very nice! That looks beautiful!

Unread 02/22/2017, 04:34 PM   #98
christiantt
Registered Member

d2mini - How would you compare the LX7 to the G4 Pro lamp??
I assume that you still have the LX7??

christiantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 10:18 PM   #99
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiantt View Post
d2mini - How would you compare the LX7 to the G4 Pro lamp??
I assume that you still have the LX7??
They are both great lights, probably the two that are currently duking it out of the top spot.
Tough fight though... just minor differences between the two that I think will come down to personal preference. The biggest may be the programming software.
Without having them on the same tank side by side, I can't accurately say which is better as far as things like light spread, coral growth, etc.
I've had the G4 Pros for 7 months now and they are performing well.
The LX7 is looking promising so far, but it's only been a matter of weeks in comparison.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Sorry... I know that probably didn't help much.

Unread 02/24/2017, 04:23 PM   #100
Editour2
Frank

Just to chime in, and I qualify this by stating I don't own either fixture, it seems that you might need more of the radion fixtures to cover the same area as the mitras.....for example given a standard 180 gal tank (72" long) assume SPS dominated.....what would the consensus be for the # of fixtures to adequately light this tank? 3 Mitras vs 4 Radions?

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote