Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 12:49 PM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Kent reef salt not dissolving

Hello my tank is a new set up I've filled with ro and and started to add salt. It's not dissolving very well and there are bits that are not dissolving at all. Any advice please.

Thanks

Last edited by fishkeeprian; 02/09/2018 at 03:32 PM.
fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 02:15 PM   #2
reefgeezer
Registered Member

I've recently switched to Fritz, but I used Kent for years. It usually dissolves well & pretty quickly. Has the salt been left open for an extended period? Is it clumpy or anything? Did you add the salt to the water and not the other way around?

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:30 PM   #3
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgeezer View Post
I've recently switched to Fritz, but I used Kent for years. It usually dissolves well & pretty quickly. Has the salt been left open for an extended period? Is it clumpy or anything? Did you add the salt to the water and not the other way around?
It's a brand new bucket. There is some small clumbs in the bucket. Most of its dissolved but there are bits that are just swirling around at the bottom.

I've used Kent before, but moved to iquatics then got a deal on this bucket.

I may just get the sg where instant it then leave for 24 hours then spyhon any remaining bits into my filter sock.

I think it's cause I'm mixing it into my tank where normally I would do it in a lot small bucket for my water change which has a high flow powerhead in.

fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 10:50 PM   #4
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Most likely calcium that fell out of solution. This will happen if you add too much salt all at one time or in salts with high calcium levels. Dont worry about it just remove it or cover with sand since it wont hurt a thing.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 10:54 PM   #5
ajoe
Registered Member

If you have an extra power-head or could borrow one you might increase the water agitation until it dissolves. Do you have the heat on in the aquarium? This is necessary as well.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote