Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2019, 10:10 AM   #1
GRVY
Registered Member

String poop

As some of you know I have 2 clowns in quarantine right now. Both doing pretty good. A lot of trial and error on my part as I work on setting up a prior method that works for me. Today I noticed one clown has a long stringy reddish/brown poop hanging from him. I have never seen it before and observe them in person at least 10-15 times a day (work at home). I also have one of my security cameras sitting next to the tank so I can see what they are up to if I am out of the house. Is this cause for concern?

GRVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 10:11 AM   #2
GRVY
Registered Member

https://imgur.com/a/HzLhm53

Unread 09/12/2019, 10:20 AM   #3
HumbleFish
Moved On

Stringy poop isn't a problem unless it is solid white. Then it might be an indicator of intestinal worms or internal flagellates: https://humble.fish/internal-issues/

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 10:57 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I found that even solid white stringy poop doesn't have to be something serious requiring treatment. It really just indicates a inflammation of the digestive tract. This can be caused by certain foods (brine shrimp for example), a change in diet (which is pretty much what all wild caught fish have to go through),an imbalance of the intestinal bacterial fauna due to medication, or intestinal parasites.
I would only treat if it is persistent longer than a week as that would be a clear indication of parasites.

In your case it may be due to medication. I would wait before exposing the fish to more chemicals and medications.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 11:11 AM   #5
GRVY
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info.