Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2018, 09:20 AM   #1
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Porcupine Puffer Care Advice

I just ordered my first puffer from Live Aquaria's Diver's Den which should be arriving tomorrow. I want to make sure I'm as prepaired as possible to help him get used to my tank quickly. Does anyone with experiance with porcupine puffers, or other similar puffers have any advice on their care?

How often and what do you typically feed? Frozen mysis? I'm planning on stopping at the LFS on my way home today to make sure I have some good food to help him get started eating in the new tank and want to make sure I have a good grasp on what they like and need. Especially since they need to wear down their beaks.

As far as wearing down their beaks, I've read that mysis, is enough to keep them worn down. Is that really enough? Is there another food I can give occasionally to help aid in teeth wear?

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 11:38 AM   #2
scooter31707
Registered Member

clams

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 05:32 AM   #3
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Thanks, I got a pack of clams on the half shell for the puffer. How often should clams be given for wearing down teeth?

My puffer didn't eat any mysis the first day I got him, so I went out and bought some frozen seafood meadly including shrimp, muscles, and scallops. I gave him a nice size bit of a thawed shrimp dipped in garlic and with a bit of enticing he ate it. The nest day, I did the same thing and he ate 3 pieces. Each piece just a little smaller than a cube of mysis for size reference.

How do I know when to stop feeding a puffer? I've read several conflicting things, and that they are easy to over feed. Is ther an amount of food I should shoot for? 1-2 peices of food a day? eat untill he won't eat anymore? Any other indicator that they have eaten enough?

On a different note, the puffer seems to be swimming around endlessly, without sleeping at night or during the day as far as I can tell. Is that normal for them? I read they are nocturnal, but I'd have thought they'd sleep more during the day if that were the case. I'm not worried, just seems like he's always going.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 07:45 PM   #4
jawaiianmon
Premium Member

We feed ours raw shrimp. He stops eating after maybe a third of a shrimp and we check to see if he's hungry later in the evening. Make sure your power heads have covers because ours is curious and swims around them.

jawaiianmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 08:11 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

When I had mine. I gave him w whole clam from the supermarket.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote