Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/17/2018, 06:39 PM   #1
FixIt
Registered Member

Next question please....

I purchased life rock. I hear that it can leech phosphates into my tank. Is this correct? How do I combat this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 08:42 PM   #2
Drewbe147
Registered Member

Cure the rock. Lots of posts on it. Theres a “sticky” thread near the top of this forum section called preparing rock. Should answer your questions in there.

Drew

Current Tank Info: 90 gal DT 29gal sump. Equipment: 2 OR T247B, RO Varios6 return, RO 150SSS, 2 XF250 Gyres, Jager 300W
Drewbe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 05:47 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

Before you go to the trouble of curing the rock, test the water to find out if you have a phosphate issue or not. If the rock is leaching a significant amount of phosphate it will show up in your test within 4-5 days. If you go a week without a sign of phosphate you don't need to cure the rock. Most live rock will not leach phosphate unless it was kept in a tank that had high phosphates.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 06:04 PM   #4
top shelf
Registered Member

What thegrun said. Some rock, like pukani, is notorious for leeching phosphate. If you find it is leeching a lot you can dose lanthanum chloride to help speed up the process. It helps to precipitate the phosphate out faster and can then be removed with water changes. There is a lot of info about this topic that goes further in depth but that is the basic to it.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube

Last edited by top shelf; 07/18/2018 at 06:09 PM.
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote