Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2019, 12:13 AM   #51
RobbyG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.d View Post
I'm hoping to get 4-8 weeks out of a roll going forward, but we'll see. Replacements for the 3000 model are about $20.
If it lasts 4 weeks that's another load of cash to be spending every year. At 8 weeks it would not be so bad! I know I am sounding like a cheapskate but all the stuff used to keep these reef systems going adds up quickly.

Rob

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2019, 12:16 PM   #52
mcrist
Premium Member

I think it comes down to what is more important to you, time or money. For me I hated power washing my old filter socks anywhere from 2-3 times a week. The $20 monthly replacement cost is less frustrating, so it is a better option for me. I need to replace my roll every 4 weeks.

I went with the Klir DI-7. I do not care for its design, but it was the only unit that can support a 2” drain pipe. I am hoping that someone in the future will come out with a better unit.

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Peninsula
mcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2019, 05:08 AM   #53
Jamborick
Registered Member

I purchased the Theiling Compact Rollermat but have not yet installed it. The suggested flow is 500 gph. If anyone is using this, are you running it straight on the main drain line or split off to control the flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamborick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2019, 07:21 PM   #54
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Well if you want you can just not filter at all. That's how real reefs work, all the food particles are left in the water to feed the corals and small fish.

Unread 10/05/2019, 09:28 PM   #55
Subpilot
Registered Member

I have been running the Clairisea 3000 for about a year on a 60 gal and have had only a few issues. I don't like how you adjust the level of the take up roll and its thumbscrew is a royal PITA to access back behind it. When changing out rolls I was never able to get the used roll off with out unrolling it. While the roll doesn't stink as it is doing its thing unrolling 150ft of used roll is a stinky messy job.
I just ordered the just released Trigger Platinum 20C sump and will report on how that goes. The Clairisea would last about a month between roll changes. Trigger is 3x as wide and I am hoping to get 3 months between roller changes. Looks like it will be an easier job to deal with used roll and reload but will see. Price is pretty crazy high.

Last edited by Subpilot; 10/05/2019 at 09:39 PM.
Subpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2019, 11:08 PM   #56
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
This company also makes these and offers a much higher flow rating than others on the market.
http://seavisions.com/CADS%20PAGE.htm
Seems like everyone skipped over this. I have been using this filter for 3 years straight without one issue! It's a very big filter and is probably suited for tanks 180G to easily 1,000G. It's built like a tank and has been around for over a decade! If someone is looking for a quality made in America high end product for a larger tank everything including the Royal Exclusive fleece filters just don't compare. This is made of heavy PVC with a commercial grade motor and very large fleece rolls. The stuff I see being sold all look like toys to me. Good for smaller tanks, but I see people using them on larger tanks as well....

Unread 10/12/2019, 12:25 PM   #57
RobbyG
Registered Member

For some of us like me, the Klir Di-4 is the only option that will ever fit in our sumps.

I picked up one and it seems like whatever issues people were having before have mostly been fixed. It's by no means perfect, I plan on ditching that cereal box controller that comes with it and hooking it up to my main controller. They left that 90 deg edge on the newer versions, the edge that some people say causes the fleece to break, so the DIY guys sand it to a rounded edge. I am looking at it and that edge seems to act as a wicking barrier to prevent the tank water from wicking up into the clean fleece.

So far one week in and I am happy with it. I did one or two temporary mods until I have a proper float switch controlling it, other wise its stock and running great.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
Unread 10/12/2019, 04:33 PM   #58
Subpilot
Registered Member

The Seavisions is built like a tank and seems like way to go if you have the room. That said it still requires you to unroll all the dirty take up roll 100yds worth. That is a messy, stinky job. Loading the Trigger Sys sump roller was really easy. Not a PITA like the Clarisea. Will see how easy it is to get dirty roll off without unspooling but I think it is doable as the roller is made of two interlocking pieces that separate when you pull them apart. Will have to see how it goes.

Unread 10/14/2019, 06:42 AM   #59
mcrist
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamc1303 View Post
Seems like everyone skipped over this. I have been using this filter for 3 years straight without one issue! It's a very big filter and is probably suited for tanks 180G to easily 1,000G. It's built like a tank and has been around for over a decade! If someone is looking for a quality made in America high end product for a larger tank everything including the Royal Exclusive fleece filters just don't compare. This is made of heavy PVC with a commercial grade motor and very large fleece rolls. The stuff I see being sold all look like toys to me. Good for smaller tanks, but I see people using them on larger tanks as well....
I am looking into one of these units as a replacement for Klir Di-7.

It’s a shame that CoralVue didn't spend a couple more dollars to make a better unit as I was looking for something "good enough" for a filter sock replacement. Sometimes the unit will work fine for 1-2 weeks and then other times the smallest thing jams or rips the fleece. It probably would work fine in a tank of water with absolutely no livestock but not a tank teaming with life.

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Peninsula
mcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 08:08 AM   #60
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I keep wondering if the unit supplied with the new Platinum Trigger Sump could be bought as a separately.

Unread 10/14/2019, 08:33 AM   #61
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subpilot View Post
When changing out rolls I was never able to get the used roll off with out unrolling it.
I have two 5000' running on my system. I agree it's tough to remove the used fleece/split sleeve from the takeup roller, but I have never had to unwind. Jut grip the used material firmly, holding it by the end of the roll of taken-up material closest to the mounting screw, and push from the other, open end of the takeup roller. You might need to use a dowel rod, though I've never not been able to push it out with steady finger pressure.

Unread 10/14/2019, 08:59 PM   #62
RobbyG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
I have two 5000' running on my system. I agree it's tough to remove the used fleece/split sleeve from the takeup roller, but I have never had to unwind. Jut grip the used material firmly, holding it by the end of the roll of taken-up material closest to the mounting screw, and push from the other, open end of the takeup roller. You might need to use a dowel rod, though I've never not been able to push it out with steady finger pressure.

I have never seen the unit in the flesh but from what I can see it seems like unrolling would be horrible and pulling it off seems a bit hard.

Just a suggestion, have either of you just tried to use a utility Knife and just slice the used roll down about 80% off the way and then peel off the two halves. Whats left could be sliced again carefully or just roll off the last bit. It seems like it would be a lot easier.

Rob

Unread 10/15/2019, 10:08 PM   #63
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually this is the filter that Royal Exclusiv tried to replicate. I couldn't believe it when they came out with theirs as I watched Klaus and his partner study and inspect the heck out of it at Reefapalooza Orlando. 6 months later they were making fleece rollers. Talk about innovative...

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 11:29 AM   #64
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Well that's how I made a Miracle Mud sump on my own.
I even brought a ruler along.

Unread 10/21/2019, 08:13 PM   #65
moondoggy4
Registered Member

filter fleece

Quote:
Thanks Greg and Adam I have sent them an email for my new 240 gallon tank.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2019, 10:13 PM   #66
Subpilot
Registered Member

I have my Trigger Platinum Sump running and I have noticed that the take up roller seems to be really straining. I have had several instances of it faulting out and not taking up roller. I was able to just manually advance the roller and it then seems OK. It has a plastic gear on take up which is a bit scary. I think it collects well and allows allot of flow but not too certain on reliability.
One thing that has bit me is that the stated sump compartment volume on my 20C Sump is deceiving. There is a portion of the compartment that has a vertical section support for the roller mat. That wall is about an inch and juts out into skimmer section. I based my new skimmer purchase on the advertised skimmer compartment. No way to get it in there short of serious hacking of acrylic on both sump and skimmer.

Unread 12/03/2019, 11:14 AM   #67
Shelbytwp123
Registered Member

https://premiumaquatics.com/products...hoCHYsQAvD_BwE

Been using it since 8-31-2019 and still have 80% of the roll...water is amazing clear

Shelbytwp123 is offline   Reply With Quote