Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/21/2010, 05:50 PM   #126
mr.iacuessa
Registered Member

this is all awesome info, though i dont think ill be using cyanide anytime soon(sounds like a dumb idea) and since ill be getting some maroons in a couple weeks, im sure ill find this info useful...im new to saltwater so almost any info is good

mr.iacuessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2010, 08:10 PM   #127
OrionN
Anemones

One way to catch a pair of clown fish from very sticky anemone like Gigantea and Haddoni is to use a clean wide mouth glass container. Anemone will not stick to clean glass. Glass that cover with a thin layer of algae is another mater.
Anyway, the glass in invisible to the clowns. It is very easy to scoop them from the anemone in the middle of the night. I got my Onyx A. percula from an 18 inches S. gigantea with just one try. Less than a minute to capture both of them. Plastic and dirty glass will be sticky and will cause injury to the anemone.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2010, 08:53 PM   #128
rocride
Registered Member

i haven't read through this thread but i'll throw my two cents....
when i moved my saddlebacks which were/are hosting a PLTA,hosting doesn't decribe what relationship they seem to have but anyways
i took a large juice jug,the ones with a handle and cut the top of it leaving the handle and gently uprooted the nem and slid him into the jug...and then sat and watched....the male went in right away and wallowed in the nem but the female was way more reluctant ...she watched that jug for 30 mins and all the time the male was in and out,finally she went in!!

then he came out,lol

after about 10 mins of them going in and out the both finally settled in to the nem and about 2 mins later i slowly covered the opening with a net and lifted the jug upright and out of the tank....they traveled like that(in a bucket of tank water)til i poured them into the new tank...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00746.jpg (62.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg SNC00747.jpg (62.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 05/08/2011, 11:43 PM   #129
125mph
Registered Member

Caught my two clarkii's last week.. one I used an acrylic trap that has a string attached to the gate... that worked for the female and got her in 2 minutes using bait.

The male I had to net at night when he was sleeping in the nem LOL... took about 15 tries that night though.

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2011, 09:08 PM   #130
Da Saltwater DJ
Registered Member

Maybe im just lucky , but i put a clear plastic cup in the water with mantis shrimp cube and the clown come right in the cup after about 10 seconds , it works ALLLLLLL the time . Maybe im just lucky ....

Da Saltwater DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2011, 01:50 PM   #131
kruserm
Registered Member

I moved a tank with a clown in it and I used a clear container and herded the clown into the container...worked sweet with very little stress on the fish. In fact I used this method for about all the fish. I did the same thing from the stock tank after I got the dispaly tank setup.

kruserm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 02:55 PM   #132
Tmoriarty
Registered Member

I just recently got a pair of true percs. While they refuse to host anything but the picture on the wall (have to eventually remove the background i guess lol) they are more then willing to swim up to my hand and even sample my fingers. I would use the container technique but in all likely hood my clowns will just go out of the tank in my hand, they oddly try to lay in my hand its kinda funny to watch.

Tmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 10:07 AM   #133
ScottCRRT
Moved On

The old mysis in a net trick worked for me. lol

ScottCRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2011, 10:17 AM   #134
Dragon moray ki
Registered Member

Same here exept I used brine

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Green moray tank connected to 400 gallon shark pond. 90 gallon mixed reef
Dragon moray ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2011, 03:22 PM   #135
Sherrf1
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I have to remove my clownfish from the tank every time I do a good cleaning. This is for her own sake. More than once I have had her jump out of the tank while trying to bite my hand, even if it is not even in the water, just hovering above it. Luckily she is easy to catch by putting a clear container under my hand, she swims in and I take it out and cover it until I'm done cleaning.

Sherrf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 09:35 PM   #136
darkwaterdevil
Registered Member

my black and white clowns will swim right into my hands

Pink Zoas, Chalice, Trumpet, Green Birdsnest, Blue Clove, Blue Favia
darkwaterdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2012, 10:42 AM   #137
tankmates
Registered Member

I tried bottle trick, container trick, everything for extended periods to catch my clarkiis , nothing worked, then I saw they are too aggressive and always want to bite my hand, otherwise they will not eat from container etc....so i put my hand in, let them bite it, they moved to top and then i caught them in container ...LOL....it was simple 5 minute job , though I was left with severely bitten hand

tankmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2012, 12:14 PM   #138
BlackLagoon
Registered Member

I tried to catch a pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns in a 180 full of rock. Tried the net, homemade trap, and luring them with food. I caught the much larger female, but could never catch the male. The male became more skittish once the female was gone. I kept the female in my refugium for a couple of weeks while I was trying to get the male and I eventually felt bad for her so I released her back into my display. I'd like a pair of True Percs but it looks like my Maroon Clowns aren't willing to vacate. Tearing apart the tank is not an option. Oh well.

BlackLagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2012, 09:09 AM   #139
Miss Nano
Registered Member

Lol, my clowns are ridiculously easy to catch. All I have to do if put a fish specimen container in the water and they will swim right in it....repeatedly... Clowns are awesome like that.

Miss Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2012, 08:59 AM   #140
mischa91
Registered Member

Luckily i have 1 very easy to catch picasso. Unluckily i have 1 occy who is a runner and a jumper and is just ridiculously hard to catch. I had to dismantle the tank yesterday due to a leak so was able to catch her after all the rock was taken out... even then she proved difficult. I used a clear plastic measuring cup and herded her into it, she was not a happy fish. She's fine now but we'll have to go through all that again once i get the tank leak fixed.

mischa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 10:27 AM   #141
redgator
Registered Member

Have you ever seen the Acclimate by Reef Gently? I just caught a super hard fish to catch, a Blue Tang, and it took less than two minutes. Not only is it easy, but a lot more stress free than nets, etc. Plus, you can use it to acclimate, transport and catch all the bristle worms you have.

60w LEDs; white/blue;Mag7 return pump; MR1 Carbon/Rowa reactor

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube, Radion XR15 G4 Pro, Vortec 2-mp10s, dosing pump (Alk, CA, Mg, coral food)
redgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012, 12:39 AM   #142
av8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgi View Post
I'm constantly amazed how trusting tank-rased ocellaris clowns are. I can practically reach in and grab them with my hand (not that I would...) The clear container trick works great: Food in the container, clown follows. One of mine has gill parasites. So catching him for a FW dip was a no-brainer.

Any good links for clown gill parasite info?
I needed to move an Ocellaris today, so I DID reach in and scoop him up with both hands. No fuss, no muss; I've done this many times. They like to swim into your hand, just bring the other hand on and keep covered during the transfer.

av8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2012, 09:14 AM   #143
vaporized
Registered Member

IME, clowns have been the easy fish to catch. I have never had to pull all the live rock to catch one, unlike some of the others. My Niger trigger is a beast to catch. It hide in the smallest crevis and lock it dorsal fin in to the rock.

vaporized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 12:14 AM   #144
Sagz70
Registered Reefer

Catching a clown fish is always a challenge for me. Especially with LR and the beloved caves.. This writeup hopefully will change all of this for me!

Sagz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2012, 11:40 AM   #145
Freddie83
Registered Member

I tried everything when trying to catch my pair of clowns, I was finally able to scoop them up with zero issues in the middle of the night while they were sleeping. I don't even think they woke up until the day after.

Freddie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 11:33 AM   #146
125mph
Registered Member

Just took out another set of clowns.. these guys didnt fall for the fish trap and obviously couldn't net them..

I took out 1/3 the rock structure on the left side of the tank.. I have a egg crate tank divider I made a while back.. when the clowns traveled to the left side of the tank, i simply used the divider and blocked them from going back into the rock structures.. after that, netting them was real easy.

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 12:11 PM   #147
ClayaLaLeona
Registered Member

I use the anemone in a container technique but putting a clear container in the tank and egging the clowns into it with my hand works just as well. I tell people I'm going fishing, as wacky as it sounds

ClayaLaLeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2013, 01:23 PM   #148
higorc
Higor

Good info guys

• Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula • ATI Sunpower 8x54W + 2 Reefbreeders Lumenbar • 2x Tunze 6105 • Skimz SM167 Skimmer • Apex•

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef Tank
higorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2013, 09:03 PM   #149
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I got lucky... when transferring things out of my cracked 90 to the poly tub, I was able to drain everything down to 1/2" of water. The clown was still as hard to get as the chromis.

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2013, 10:03 PM   #150
Railcar79
Moved On

reading this thread makes clowns sound like apista (sp?) probably be easier to drop an extension cord in the tank. Once I get my tank up and going the clowns will stay till they die.

Railcar79 is offline   Reply With Quote