Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2018, 09:10 AM   #1
dtapke
Registered Member

adding giant overflow to nanocube?

So, I plan on eventually upgrading to a far larger tank, but currently space prohibits that.

So what I'm wondering is if i were to use the Eshopps Eclipse Large overflow, could i effectively use it with a bean overflow that i could transfer to a larger tank some day in the future? or would the size of it literally prohibit it from working correctly as i'd only be flowing about 3-400gph through an overflow designed for much larger flow.

i know this seems like a silly question but considering its $70 for a nano hob overflow (i dont trust HOB overflows.) and only another 50 will get me an overflow that i could transfer to another system in the future... I was thinking about getting the eclipse small, but from what i've read it seems like the bean overflow is the ideal system, so having an overflow that is compatible with that style would be best..

TIA!

dtapke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2018, 09:20 AM   #2
ReefWreak
Registered Member

If you're considering drilling anyway, why not keep the stock overflow and just drill the back for an in and an out? You already have the partitions and overflow, reinventing the wheel to get some shadowed dark space under the overflow?

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2018, 10:17 AM   #3
dtapke
Registered Member

"reinventing the wheel" to remove the partitions and gain 3" of extra tank space, the factory "overflow" is about 1/2" below the surface and does not skim. If you add the JBJ branded weir to the partition intake it reduces the overall amount of water in the tank by around 3 gallons as i have it set up. first partition having some mechanical filtration, second chamber has heater and tunze 9001, third chamber has pump and IM ATO sensors.

Unread 07/25/2018, 10:17 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtapke View Post
i'd only be flowing about 3-400gph through an overflow designed for much larger flow.
3-400GPH through the overflow is the desired overflow flow rate for a 100G tank..
Thats not nano...

You can always use reducers,etc.. to step down any plumbing size so yes you can use a larger overflow and have it work acceptably on a smaller tank..

Unread 07/25/2018, 10:22 AM   #5
dtapke
Registered Member

Hm, well the OE pump by JBJ is 300gph, so thats what i figured id stick with. considering I've got that and also a 400gph koralia and planning on changing that out for an mp10 or the new IM wavelink.

can i ask where the info for the desired overflow flow rate came from? that seems really low to me for a 100g tank?

Unread 07/25/2018, 10:23 AM   #6
dtapke
Registered Member

i guess i've always gone after the 5-10X number and stuck more on the 10x side of things.

Unread 07/26/2018, 04:50 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

For the longest time people have been using like 3-5x as the flowrate through the sump.. Thats a recommendation you will find it a lot of literature,etc... about the hobby..
And our systems worked just fine with that number as far as we can tell but there is little to no proof that even that is too fast or too slow.. Its just been used as a general number for quite a while.
The Triton system now recommends 10x with no proof or real reasoning behind that number either.. I really think its just to make the math easier..

I think my current tank is around 5x... But I don't have a flowmeter..

Unread 07/26/2018, 07:55 AM   #8
dtapke
Registered Member

OK so the 5-10X is just a waterflow within the tank, and 3-5x is waterflow through the sump. I suppose that makes sense.

at least i know i don't have too little flow running a total around 800gph in the lil 23g nanocube currently.

i've gone off topic, so it would seem that there would be no real reason NOT to do this, as i can just restrict the flow via gate valves etc on the outlet near the sump. I just hate having so little water in the tank, with sand, rock, and the partitions in the back setup how i have them to skim theres probably only a bit over 10 gallons of actual water in the tank. would really love to add another 10g in a sump, 7.5g worth of "space" by removing the partitions, and probably 3-5 of actual water by removing them.

Unread 07/26/2018, 08:30 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

No..
-Typically 3-5x (or 10x if wanting to achieve a Triton setup) is flow rate through the sump (return pump only)..

-Total flow in a tank (powerheads and return pump flow) is typically generalized to be 20-30x as a good starting point and some all SPS high flow tanks can run 75-100x..

Again just generalized numbers that are commonly thrown around..
Specific details of rock placement and many other variables will effect actual performance of that number..
In general avoiding stagnant areas is a good target to achieve while not hurting livestock by violent flow or having too little flow that algae grows on them,etc...

Unread 07/26/2018, 09:27 AM   #10
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

I'm setting up a 90g LPS dominant tank with a 30L sump. I'm shooting for a max of 3x--4x flow through my sump. Probably max 5x--7x circulation inside the tank. Don't need a whole lot for this type of coral, dare I say "less is more" sometimes.

LPS_Blasto is offline   Reply With Quote