Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2007, 04:20 AM   #76
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally posted by drej424
I got a croceas from Les about two weeks ago. It's my first clam and I love it! His stuff sells out fast, so I don't know if he has any left, but they were really nice.

Denise

I was in there Thursday, and had a tough time leaving without that big orange Gigas........

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2007, 10:32 PM   #77
carlso63
Reefkeeping since 1977

Question

Greetings from out West!

When I was a teenager (late '70s) I worked at a LFS in the Sun Vet Mall (Holbrook) called "Fish Nook"; they had both fresh and SW fish and supplies... I know that place is long gone, but does the Sun Vet Mall have a LFS / Pet store anymore?

Also, whatever happened to "BJs Jungle" (maybe 'Js Jungle'?) that was on Sunrise Hwy in Islip or Bay Shore? That place was famous for selling "exotic" pets like Lion cubs or baby alligators and crap like that... is that place still around?

Thanks for the info

Wanna see my tank?

Go to www.utahreefs.com

Current Tank Info: 150g Reef: 3 X 250 Halides (LumenMax3 / IceCap / Pheonix 14K DE), 2 X Gyre 150s, Elite Aquatics sump, dc9000 return, Curve 7, RKE, BRS Dual Reactor, Chaeto / Caulerpa Fuge
carlso63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2007, 04:24 AM   #78
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

BTJ's Jungle had a fire, about two years ago. It happened at night, and all animals were lost with the exception of a turkey or a duck that lived outside or something like that. Pyro 383 that posts in this forum is a fireman in the area, and could probably tell you a little more detail.
They moved to the south side of Sunrise Hwy, a few blocks east of where they were.
I'm not sure about the Sun Vet Mall.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
Unread 06/14/2007, 05:19 PM   #79
md14fish
Registered Member

No LFS in Sun Vet Mall, BTJ's Total different locale

md14fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2007, 07:58 PM   #80
romain
Registered Member

Aquarium Dreams

3032 Merrick Road, Wantagh
(516) 221-6284
www.aquarium-dreams.com

Is anyone familiar with this LFS? Looks like they have decent coral and fish selections.

Current Tank Info: 50g Acrylic Reef since August 2004, 20g DIY sump, AquaMedic 2x150w 10K DE + 2x39w T5
romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2007, 08:01 PM   #81
jgiordano
Premium Member

They have ok prices on supplements and dry goods; they have a decent amount of fish, corals are lacking. Mutts and Butts down the road has a much better coral selection.

jgiordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2007, 03:07 PM   #82
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally posted by romain
Aquarium Dreams

3032 Merrick Road, Wantagh
(516) 221-6284
www.aquarium-dreams.com

Is anyone familiar with this LFS? Looks like they have decent coral and fish selections.

I can't get anyone on the phone. After several rings, I get a recording that says my call can't be completed as dialed.

Dunder Mifflin

Unread 06/16/2007, 06:40 AM   #83
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Petland Discounts in Oceanside is not going to be selling saltwater animals anymore. They may or may not continue selling dry goods.
I don't know the condition of their live rock, but they told me (on the phone) that it's up for grabs "cheap"

Dunder Mifflin

Unread 06/22/2007, 04:22 PM   #84
eboonaman
Moved On

IMO I wouldn't buy anything in BTJ's except dry goods.. and even that I shake the bag out before bringing it into the house for roaches!
I don't know how they ever past an ASPCA inspection...maybe they (the inspectors) couldn't get pass the smell of urine ,feces and room deodorizer ....
I found it ironic that people cried over the death of so many animals ..BUT never once said anything about the deplorable way and filth they were kept in. Ignorance is bliss I guess...
But then again that is just my and only my personal opinion..

eboonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2007, 04:28 PM   #85
reefly
Moved On

I agree it is a very bad store.

It looks like the town isn't giving them a building permit to rebuild, or they just gave up.

reefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2007, 05:23 PM   #86
md14fish
Registered Member

I too find the condition and health of the animals deplorable.
I also have heard some things about the accidental fires.

md14fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2007, 11:24 PM   #87
LFSmarineguy
Registered Member

Aquarium Design Network

why was my post for my new store deleted??? I figured if it could be anywhere on this forum it would be in the "LFS info thread"......maybe I'm crazy. Is it just that me personally posting it is not allowed???? Is it ok if someone else posts the exact same info as long as they are not a part of it????? I don't get it. I posted the info and it got deleted and not even added to the list of stores.

LFSmarineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2007, 04:52 AM   #88
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Reef Central does not allow you to post in promotion of your store. When your post was removed, you should have gotten an email or PM telling you why. If you read the User Agreement that you electronically signed when you joined, it's quite clear that you may not make commercial posts.
No sense in continuing this here, send me a PM or you can email any RC Mod, Staff or Admin at their username@ReefCentral.com.

Dunder Mifflin

Unread 06/24/2007, 10:24 AM   #89
Iammatt219
Registered Member

In the process of my move to my new house , I broke one of my bulkheads, and anybody who lives in Huntington knows tghe value of Selmers (not) any way so i was in need of a new bulkhead and was able to get in touch with LFSmarineguy about obtaining a replacement bulkhead. While the store was not open yet, i met up with them to get a bulkhead, in the process I got a tour what they are planning for the store, and from what I saw it looks like a good store has finally come to Huntington

Iammatt219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2007, 11:24 AM   #90
Reefist
Registered Member

And where would the future store be located?

Reefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2007, 04:17 AM   #91
Iammatt219
Registered Member

between rte 110 and melville road in south Huntington. right next to instnt Replay

Iammatt219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2007, 05:33 PM   #92
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

I'm right in that neighborhood and look forward to checking it out.

Current Tank Info: 180 mixed up reef started April 2005. 4 small tanks on same sump.
iamwhatiam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2007, 08:40 PM   #93
purebullet417
Rimless Reef Club

anyone got the address of that store a a link to the websight i would like to see it

Current Tank Info: 57 Gallon Rimless
purebullet417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2007, 06:44 PM   #94
DEXTER SOLIS
Registered Member

I have heard amazing plans with the store in Huntington, mega bucks on a AudioVideo/Fish Room, most of us have been dreaming of. I plan to swing by friday if they let me have a peek before they open the doors to the public.

DEXTER SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2007, 02:46 PM   #95
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Address?

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2007, 05:10 PM   #96
reefly
Moved On

The story I heard was that a maintenance guy that worked for Aquarium Avan teamed up with a guy making cabinets.

Only experience is being a glass cleaner.

reefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2007, 06:33 PM   #97
LFSmarineguy
Registered Member

to clarify

Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.

Last edited by geo; 08/25/2007 at 07:04 PM.
LFSmarineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2007, 06:44 PM   #98
Reefist
Registered Member

So is this place open? Can someone else post the info besides the owner( what ever that means). I don't want to drive around looking for whatchamacallit to find out can't post my hours is closed.
Thanks
Tom

Reefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2007, 03:45 PM   #99
DEXTER SOLIS
Registered Member

I just came from the store front & was lucky enough to see the other partners "Audio/Video" show place. I believe the Building that is color BLUE right on E. Jericoh Trnpke is hard to miss "aquarium Design" i think it said in front, about 1 mile from 110. Looks promising.....we shall see........Diamond in the rough? maybe. the people behind it appears to know what they are doing & could possibly be a LI version of the Ultra Hi-End place in Greenwich CT, if they stick to the game plan, like I said, very promising.

Unread 08/28/2007, 07:33 PM   #100
DEXTER SOLIS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefly
The story I heard was that a maintenance guy that worked for Aquarium Avan teamed up with a guy making cabinets.

Only experience is being a glass cleaner.
IM really starting to get anoyed with your negative remarks dude. you are the "only" persoon I know that seems to not like other fish stores in Long Island, except Pets Warehouse. I know they are well stocked & competetively priced, but the more competetion the better it is for end users like us.....hmmmmmm, maybe you are NOT an end user like us?