Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Bulk Reef Supply
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/19/2017, 01:30 PM   #1
fishguy306
Registered Member

IceCap REEF-Cam

I've been looking around for several days for an underwater camera to go into my pond in my basement with not much luck. Finally came across the CoralVue IceCap REEF-Cam that says it is coming out next month. Their site listed you guys as one of the companies that will be carrying it. Just wanted to see if that'll be the case and if so if you guys have gotten to play with one yet? The info out on them leaves me with some questions still. If they are able to do what I'm hoping and are decent quality I'll likely buy one on day one. Maybe I'm just being impatient and should wait a few more weeks for more info lol

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2017, 04:12 PM   #2
RT_BRS
www.bulkreefsupply.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy306 View Post
I've been looking around for several days for an underwater camera to go into my pond in my basement with not much luck. Finally came across the CoralVue IceCap REEF-Cam that says it is coming out next month. Their site listed you guys as one of the companies that will be carrying it. Just wanted to see if that'll be the case and if so if you guys have gotten to play with one yet? The info out on them leaves me with some questions still. If they are able to do what I'm hoping and are decent quality I'll likely buy one on day one. Maybe I'm just being impatient and should wait a few more weeks for more info lol
Actually, we were just talking about this earlier today. We don't have one yet, but rumor has it we have one on the way to test out.

RT_BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2017, 04:40 PM   #3
fishguy306
Registered Member

Awesome! I look forward to the review on it. From what I've seen it looks nice but I'm not sure it'll be what I'm looking for

Old 01/23/2017, 08:19 AM   #4
valeriebrs
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome! I look forward to the review on it. From what I've seen it looks nice but I'm not sure it'll be what I'm looking for
Just curious, what features specifically are you looking for in a underwater cam?

valeriebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2017, 09:39 AM   #5
fishguy306
Registered Member

I'm looking for a camera that can be lived streamed to a computer over the net, so an IP style camera. HD is also needed. I can find cameras that meet some of these requirements, but not all of them. Most underwater cams are not meant to always be in place, they record video and are then pulled out of the water to transfer data to a computer. I want one that is always on.

I found an underwater webcam, however it is required to be plugged into a computer at all times, it isn't an IP style. So I was hopeful this reef cam would do it. It appears to be close, but not quite. It will only broadcast to the app on your phone or tablet. So that isn't terrible, but I'd like to be able to see the stream on my computer as I don't always have access to my phone at work. Plus it'd kill my battery and data.

Old 01/23/2017, 01:26 PM   #6
valeriebrs
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm looking for a camera that can be lived streamed to a computer over the net, so an IP style camera. HD is also needed. I can find cameras that meet some of these requirements, but not all of them. Most underwater cams are not meant to always be in place, they record video and are then pulled out of the water to transfer data to a computer. I want one that is always on.

I found an underwater webcam, however it is required to be plugged into a computer at all times, it isn't an IP style. So I was hopeful this reef cam would do it. It appears to be close, but not quite. It will only broadcast to the app on your phone or tablet. So that isn't terrible, but I'd like to be able to see the stream on my computer as I don't always have access to my phone at work. Plus it'd kill my battery and data.
Awesome, that very helpful! Hopefully we will be getting our hands on the REEF-cam this week

Old 01/23/2017, 02:04 PM   #7
fishguy306
Registered Member

I look forward to see the reviews! I found a couple companies that make nice cameras for public aquariums, however prices on those started around $2500.00. There is very little out there for hobbyists. It looks this one might have flaws but for now it will likely be the best option.

Old 01/23/2017, 04:02 PM   #8
valeriebrs
Registered Member

Quote:
I look forward to see the reviews! I found a couple companies that make nice cameras for public aquariums, however prices on those started around $2500.00. There is very little out there for hobbyists. It looks this one might have flaws but for now it will likely be the best option.
Oh, the things we could do for our tanks with $2500... lol

Old 02/06/2017, 12:56 PM   #9
fishguy306
Registered Member

Any news on this? Looks like a couple places are supposed to release it tomorrow.

Old 02/07/2017, 11:57 AM   #10
fearyaks
Registered Member

I see some places online but no reputable vendors yet. Would be curious too!

fearyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2017, 12:02 PM   #11
valeriebrs
Registered Member

I haven't gotten my hands on it quite yet - hopefully soon!

Old 02/10/2017, 03:21 PM   #12
valeriebrs
Registered Member

Update! We received the Reef Cam and have been testing it out...

Verdict: IT'S A WINNER! Super easy to install, stream quality is and for what it offers, the price is right.

We'll be ordering some to bring in, I'll let you know when I have an ETA

Old 02/10/2017, 03:23 PM   #13
fishguy306
Registered Member

Awesome. You can only view it on your phone however, not a computer, correct? Do you guys have a video sample of it? I haven't seen any sort of previews from it yet

Old 02/10/2017, 03:35 PM   #14
valeriebrs
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome. You can only view it on your phone however, not a computer, correct? Do you guys have a video sample of it? I haven't seen any sort of previews from it yet
As far as I can tell, you can only view it from your phone (or device that has the app) however our IT guy said because it's connected to WiFi there IS a way to stream it publically.

I wasn't able to grab a video but I did grab this snap from the stream:

Old 02/10/2017, 03:43 PM   #15
fishguy306
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! That isn't a bad image at all!

Old 02/10/2017, 03:46 PM   #16
Brieninsac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriebrs View Post
Just curious, what features specifically are you looking for in a underwater cam?
Camera aside it would be cool if it could also tell you some water parameters like temp, ph, etc.

I have some trail cameras on our property and they superimpose the outside temp and moon stages on the information strip across the bottom. It would be nice to see this offer more then just pictures and/or video.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2529678&highlight=reefer+350
Brieninsac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2017, 12:47 PM   #17
fearyaks
Registered Member

Bought one just now. I'll update this thread with my findings...

fearyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 12:43 PM   #18
aplatn13
Registered Member

I just bought this as well...It needs some work but so far its nice to have.

aplatn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 01:58 PM   #19
canadianeh
Registered Member

how far you have to install the camera to get clear picture? I want to install it right at the front of the glass to get a full frontal view of my Innovative Marine Fusion 40. Most camera not able to do this.

BRS, can you please do video review on it?

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 06:01 PM   #20
Randy_BRS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
how far you have to install the camera to get clear picture? I want to install it right at the front of the glass to get a full frontal view of my Innovative Marine Fusion 40. Most camera not able to do this.

BRS, can you please do video review on it?
Hopefully we can get a demo video in the near future. In the photo posted above, we have ours installed in the far right corner of the Clownfish Harem tank. It is pretty closely cropped, which isn't as adjustable as some would hope. Having a Nuvo 40 at my desk, I don't think you could get a full "fisheye" view of the entire tank when mounted center in the tank. It is just a bit too zoomed for that.

-Randy

Randy_BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2017, 08:19 AM   #21
canadianeh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_BRS View Post
Hopefully we can get a demo video in the near future. In the photo posted above, we have ours installed in the far right corner of the Clownfish Harem tank. It is pretty closely cropped, which isn't as adjustable as some would hope. Having a Nuvo 40 at my desk, I don't think you could get a full "fisheye" view of the entire tank when mounted center in the tank. It is just a bit too zoomed for that.

-Randy
Just like I thought. Thanks Randy! We Canadian love BRS videos!

I think I will stick to my Arlo Q 1080p camera then.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2017, 07:54 PM   #22
Registered Member

Well my experience not to good First when I got it I could not get it to work with my I phone 3 years old a dinosaur. Went out and got a new I phone. It worked GREAT Clear picture. Loved it .It worked for about 10 days power went out. They sent me a replacement cord. I plugged it in powered up No picture Tried everything in the book nothing worked Sending this unit back for a refund. Maybe in the future ill try this again. After they work out the bugs, It was cool wile it lasted. THANK God its still under my 90 day warrantee. only out return shipping. Anybody using it want to know how long your is up and running. Any issues?

jokeefe727@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2017, 07:20 AM   #23
aplatn13
Registered Member

When does the IR add on is release?

Old 04/07/2017, 07:21 AM   #24
aplatn13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well my experience not to good First when I got it I could not get it to work with my I phone 3 years old a dinosaur. Went out and got a new I phone. It worked GREAT Clear picture. Loved it .It worked for about 10 days power went out. They sent me a replacement cord. I plugged it in powered up No picture Tried everything in the book nothing worked Sending this unit back for a refund. Maybe in the future ill try this again. After they work out the bugs, It was cool wile it lasted. THANK God its still under my 90 day warrantee. only out return shipping. Anybody using it want to know how long your is up and running. Any issues?
Month and a half so far. Wish it was 1080p with IR and White Balancing...

Old 04/07/2017, 09:52 AM   #25
fishguy306
Registered Member

I'm still on the search for an IP style camera that can be submerged, or at least some sort of water tight case for one. This seems like an OK camera but I feel like there has to be something better out there I just haven't found yet.