Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2017, 09:40 AM   #26
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Good to know Mondo, my lfs carries them so its good to known i could get them as a last resort.

I have an idea for a fuge and I want to see if anyone thinks it's a good idea. I would make an acrylic tank about 8"x8"x10". I will drill small 1/8 inch holes all over each side and put the tank directly into my sump. That way water flows through but it's not high flow. Would this work? This seems to be the easiest way because I wouldn't need to buy another pump and what not. Any thoughts on this?

Reefer1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 09:51 AM   #27
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer1991 View Post
Good to know Mondo, my lfs carries them so its good to known i could get them as a last resort.

I have an idea for a fuge and I want to see if anyone thinks it's a good idea. I would make an acrylic tank about 8"x8"x10". I will drill small 1/8 inch holes all over each side and put the tank directly into my sump. That way water flows through but it's not high flow. Would this work? This seems to be the easiest way because I wouldn't need to buy another pump and what not. Any thoughts on this?
if you have the room for it, that's certainly a possibility. really anywhere that is "off limits" to pod predators can be used.

there are some pre-made HOB fuges, you could make a chaeto reactor, or you could see about pod condos.

realistically though i think you'll be fine. when i was in my 75 i didn't have a fuge and my mandy was fat, happy, and healthy. i was rock heavy, and had no other competition. i also had a nice amount of rock in my sump.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 12:13 PM   #28
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post

realistically though i think you'll be fine. when i was in my 75 i didn't have a fuge and my mandy was fat, happy, and healthy. i was rock heavy, and had no other competition. i also had a nice amount of rock in my sump.
Awesome. I'll go without the fuge for now and IF he somehow eats all the pods which I also doubt, then I'll add the fuge. I thought of that fuge idea because I don't have any room in the stand so that would allow me to put it directly in the sump and not take up any room.

Unread 05/24/2017, 05:04 PM   #29
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I decided to make a fuge anyway because i was bored and its something to do lol.This is the container I'm going to use. It's reef safe plastic so I figured I would use this instead. I drilled holes on only 2 sides because I am putting this into the corner of the sump so the other two will be up against the wall. Does it look like I drilled enough holes? I don't want the flow to be too strong and I also don't want the chaeto to get sucked up into the holes and clog it. I have about 450 gph going through the sump

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170524_190121.jpg (19.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20170524_190129.jpg (22.0 KB, 18 views)
Unread 05/24/2017, 05:29 PM   #30
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Here it is hahahaha. A very ugly and sloppy refugium but I'm hoping it will do then job. Can't beat free. I'm going to order come chaeto when I order the mandarin. The flow looks very slow in the fuge from what I can see. That's good right?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170524_192539.jpg (33.9 KB, 30 views)
Unread 05/25/2017, 08:12 AM   #31
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

that might not give you enough flow, but give a try, you can always alter it later if you're not happy with it.

i like to use egg crate light diffuser for stuff like that, or the clear mesh that BRS sells for making screen tops. they're both easy materials to obtain and work with. additionally Gutter Guard can be real useful for building with as well. not just fuge boxes, but all kinds of handy projects.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Unread 05/25/2017, 01:50 PM   #32
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
that might not give you enough flow, but give a try, you can always alter it later if you're not happy with it.

i like to use egg crate light diffuser for stuff like that, or the clear mesh that BRS sells for making screen tops. they're both easy materials to obtain and work with. additionally Gutter Guard can be real useful for building with as well. not just fuge boxes, but all kinds of handy projects.
Would you recommend I drill more holes? I can do that no problem but I figured I would start with less since I could always add more. I heard that a 2-3x turnover rate in a fuge is good and I'd imagine that's about what I have right now. Is 2-3x a good rule?

Unread 05/25/2017, 01:57 PM   #33
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I also have egg crate so I could make something out of that too which would probably look nicer than what I am using now. I was worried about the holes being too wide and having the chaeto squeeze through.

Unread 05/25/2017, 05:32 PM   #34
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

hey, give it a try, it might be all good. that's half the fun of this hobby is the trial and error when you're engineering something.

chaeto could probably slip through the egg crate, but i doubt that would be too big a deal.

Unread 06/22/2017, 01:52 PM   #35
niveknow
Registered Member

Manny

I added a red manny to my 40B with a 15 sump. The fuge part of my sump is small with lots of rubble, but with a grow LED (pink light) that has been growing chaeto like crazy in it. I shake a handful of the chaeto into the DT every few days hoping to drop pods into the DT. Read that I'm not likely to visually see the copepods so not sure if the shake and bake action is working or not. Continuing the paranoia about not giving the manny enough pods... I moved a small breeder box (link below) full of chaeto into the back top corner of the DT as my mini intank pod hotel. Now I see my manny up around the breeder box area very often assuming he's eating and there's enough cheato in there protected from the manny if the whole pod hotel theory works.

Is it working? I don't know. lol. It's more of question back to other reefers. Is a cheato solution enough? I'm not too rock heavy (maybe 20#s) in my aquscape as I wanted more room for coral.

breeder box:
https://www.amazon.com/LEE-10255-Lee...ds=breeder+box

niveknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 01:55 PM   #36
niveknow
Registered Member

And no. it's the only pod eater in the tank. =)

niveknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 05:06 PM   #37
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Not the best pic but here he is.
https://plus.google.com/107054426560...ts/Na9k3VyU8sx

The file was too large so I had to just post a link. Sorry

I just got him yesterday. I qaurantined him till this morning just to observe for a little. I wouldve kept him in longer but the tank was in my guest room and my cousins are in town so sadly it had to come down. It'll definitely be going back up before I get any other fish though. I just took my chances with the mandy. He's pecking around the rocks and looks pretty good so alls good for now.

Unread 06/23/2017, 06:19 AM   #38
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Well I feel like a complete idiot. When I woke up this morning I looked for the mandarin and saw him in the rock work. He was barely visible but it looked like a trochus snail was on him so I figured he died. I grabbed a turkey baster and started spraying it in the rocks to get the body out. Next thing you know he starts breathing again but now he is literally covered with sand, has his fins clamped, and is breathing somewhat heavy. Did I injure my fish or is he probably just stressed from getting woken up like that?

Unread 06/23/2017, 07:51 AM   #39
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

just leave him alone and see how he does. they like to sleep in the sand bed, and often cover themselves with bits of sand and lose their coloration while resting.

Unread 06/23/2017, 05:54 PM   #40
Sandybw1
Registered Member

This is a silly question... but when you say pods are you referring to copepods or amphipods?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sandybw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 06:27 PM   #41
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandybw1 View Post
This is a silly question... but when you say pods are you referring to copepods or amphipods?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Copepods are their main diet. Amphipods are too large but if they are reproducing in your tank than your mandy can eat the baby amphipods. They feed off many different crustaceans, not just copepods I believe. Thats what I have read atleast. I'm no expert(obviously since I posted this thread lol)

Unread 06/23/2017, 06:38 PM   #42
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
just leave him alone and see how he does. they like to sleep in the sand bed, and often cover themselves with bits of sand and lose their coloration while resting.
Thanks for the info. Yea the first night I had him he slept in the open and I could've sworn he was dead because he was a milky white kind of like how fish look when they die. I shined a light on him and he regained his color.

I thought he was dead this morning because a trochus snail was on him, but I guess he was in a deep sleep and didnt mind the snail because he looks fine now.

I read that they should be striking at the rock once every ten seconds. Mine pecks at the rock but more like once every thirty seconds. Other than that he seems fine (swimming around the rock, normal respiration, and awesome color.) If I had to guess I'd say he's probably around 2- 2 1/2 inches

Unread 06/29/2017, 06:50 PM   #43
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I might just be paranoid because I really want this fish to thrive, but each day it seems like he gets noticabley skinnier and he has a protruding line running down his sides. He pecks at the rocks a lot now (once every 5 seconds or so). Is it possible for him to lose weight that quick? Am I just paranoid? I read that if the mandarin is pecking, then it's eating. How true is that? I know for a fact I have pods, hence why I'm not sure if I'm paranoid, or if he is actually losing weight.

Here's a picture. You cant really see the line but maybe you guys can help me out with judging how he looks. (Sorry not the best pics)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170629_204729.jpg (58.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170629_204731.jpg (57.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170629_204746_003.jpg (55.9 KB, 16 views)
Unread 06/30/2017, 06:59 AM   #44
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

how does that compare to when you got him?

have you tried offering supplemental feedings of anything?

Unread 06/30/2017, 05:35 PM   #45
Reefer1991
Registered Member

He's definitely skinnier.
This morning I was looking at him before lights on and right behind his fins, his side is definitely a bit concave. Im just so confused though because he is pecking at the rock non stop. I feel like he should be gaining weight but sadly that's not the case.

I haven't tried to feed him directly, but when I fed my fish mysis and rods, some bits of food passed him and he didn't look interested. I'll try target feeding him when I get home from work tonight and see if he goes for it.

Is it true that each time they peck they are actually eating a pod?

Unread 06/30/2017, 06:49 PM   #46
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I just tried target feeding him with no success. He swims away from the baster when it gets close and when he swims away, it's hard to find him again with 90 lbs of lr. I'll try again tomorrow.

Is it normal for a mandarin to lose weight that quick even if it wasn't eating at all? Like I said, he's always pecking around, yet he's losing weight rapidly and his body right behind his fins is a square shape because he's getting pretty skinny.

I'd hate to do it, but I'm almost tempted to treat my tank with prazi just in case he has worms.

Unread 06/30/2017, 07:20 PM   #47
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Everywhere I'm reading says that once their stomachs are sunken, they're practically on their way out.

.... so I guess my Mandy's doomed? I was going to order chaeto for my fuge to increase my pods, but from what most people say it sounds like it's too late because his stomach is definitely concave and the line running down his side is very noticeable....... the pictures don't show how skinny the little guy is.

Unread 07/01/2017, 12:38 PM   #48
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Just tried again this morning with the same result.

Any input on if I should treat with prazi?

Tags
mandarin dragonet, pods, refugium