Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2017, 10:49 AM   #1
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Anemone vs. torch: which one is harder to keep in nano?

Wanting to do a office desktop nano. 20 gallon max.
I want to keep it simple and have lots of movement, hence the question. I'd like to have a couple torches or a couple anemones and a pair of clowns and a shrimp.

So what would you do? Do a torch or an anemone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mebeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Diana A
Registered Member

You need a large tank for an anemone

Unread 05/25/2017, 11:15 AM   #3
LX20000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana A View Post
You need a large tank for an anemone
Why. I have a friend with a bubble tip in 15 gals for years. Has split several times. It sits in the same spot for years now. It has no idea if it's in a 15 or a 150, PROVIDED you stay on top of water quality. Right?

LX20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Diana A
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX20000 View Post
Why. I have a friend with a bubble tip in 15 gals for years. Has split several times. It sits in the same spot for years now. It has no idea if it's in a 15 or a 150, PROVIDED you stay on top of water quality. Right?
uummmm The anemone splits when it feels it is in danger. ie: bad water conditions or more likely not enough food. It splits when signs are bad as a defense because twos smaller ones have a better chance of surviving than one bigger one.

but what do i know, I'm just a girl

Unread 05/25/2017, 11:46 AM   #5
LX20000
Registered Member

What part of my response leads you to believe gender is an issue here? It appears to be for you, not for me.

And, well, it might be in crappy water and feel in danger, but it has been feeling that for 4 years so far.

Unread 05/25/2017, 11:49 AM   #6
Diana A
Registered Member

Wow chill...it was a joke

Unread 05/25/2017, 11:51 AM   #7
juniorrocketdad
Registered Member

Anemones split even when in good conditions, it's not always from stress

juniorrocketdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 11:58 AM   #8
LX20000
Registered Member

Not easy to tell this from a post, and certainly quite common in todays hyper charged political correctness environment...

I also did a quick search (your text from above was the first thing that came up in a quick internet search) and found quite a few sources that say they split for two reasons, one good and one bad. One due to stress, and other due to doing well and propagating the species. So who knows.

But the original question remains... I don't claim to have the definitive answer.... If you stay on top of your water quality, why can't a Nem do well in a small tank? With good light, good flow, feedings and very good water quality (all things my friend has) I believe the Nem should be happy.

As for fish, I don't think this is the same answer... fish swim around, they can see, they need stimulus... so I DO think for a fish, you can put one in too small a tank and stress it. But a Nem has no idea where it is, especially if it has hunkered down and happily sits in one spot.

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:00 PM   #9
Diana A
Registered Member

He feels it's okay to keep a bubble tip anemone in a 15 gallon tank for years.

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:00 PM   #10
LX20000
Registered Member

Yes. Do you think this is cruel?

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:24 PM   #11
d2mini
Registered Member

I wouldn't keep a ritteri in a 15g, but a BTA is fine as long as you aren't worried about it deciding to take a short walk and sting every coral in your tank.

That said, I'd go with a torch. You know for sure it won't move, and as it grows and starts to become too big you can trim it back. Plus nano's are just harder to keep stable. An anemone will be more sensitive to large changes in parameters and can also be a cause of large disastrous changes if something goes wrong.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I wouldn't keep a ritteri in a 15g, but a BTA is fine as long as you aren't worried about it deciding to take a short walk and sting every coral in your tank.

That said, I'd go with a torch. You know for sure it won't move, and as it grows and starts to become too big you can trim it back. Plus nano's are just harder to keep stable. An anemone will be more sensitive to large changes in parameters and can also be a cause of large disastrous changes if something goes wrong.

This is more of the type of answer I was looking for.
I don't plan of having other corals.... just multiples of the same ( two or three torches)

To further the question. What is the easiest euphillia to care for in a nano?

Unread 05/25/2017, 01:21 PM   #13
LX20000
Registered Member

What kind of lighting are you going to have? I think that will be a big factor.

Unread 05/25/2017, 01:40 PM   #14
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebeknob View Post
This is more of the type of answer I was looking for.
I don't plan of having other corals.... just multiples of the same ( two or three torches)

To further the question. What is the easiest euphillia to care for in a nano?

Personally, I've had the best luck with growth from Frogspawns
A tank full of various hammers, frogspawn, and a torch or two would be pretty cool. Especially the multi-color Aussie varieties. The hammers and frogspawn can touch, but I don't believe the torches can touch the other two. Someone please confirm that or not. These all seem to love LED lights, too.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 01:41 PM   #15
Diana A
Registered Member

T5 and the cheap leds (example Mars Aqua) will be fine with torches.

Unread 05/25/2017, 02:14 PM   #16
carrots
Registered Member

Quote:
A tank full of various hammers, frogspawn, and a torch or two would be pretty cool. Especially the multi-color Aussie varieties. The hammers and frogspawn can touch, but I don't believe the torches can touch the other two. Someone please confirm that or not. These all seem to love LED lights, too.
You are right with the Torches not being next to the Hammers and Frogspawn.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 03:10 PM   #17
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:

And I find just the opposite. I have the best growth on my torch, my hammers and frogspawns barely grow.

Yes hammers and frogspawn can touch with usually no issues(sometimes they don't like each other, but its very rare), torch's will sting anything that gets close enough.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 03:49 PM   #18
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX20000 View Post
What kind of lighting are you going to have? I think that will be a big factor.

Not 100% set.
Leds for sure. I'll go with a known brand. Like an XR15, kessil, etc.

From my understanding thus far, anemones or euphillia will do well with a decent led light.

Unread 05/25/2017, 03:53 PM   #19
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
He feels it's okay to keep a bubble tip anemone in a 15 gallon tank for years.

I don't think this is bad as long as he can keep the water stable.

Unread 05/25/2017, 03:55 PM   #20
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm going for. Something that to a "non-aquarist" is visually stunning. I think my co-workers would enjoy seeing "nemo" and feeding an anemone. But euphillia seem easier to care for in a nano

Unread 05/25/2017, 04:01 PM   #21
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

I love it when people who keep animals in a tank talk about animal cruelty. We are all cruel to animals if we are aquarists let's be honest. Unless you're taking injured ones in, letting them heal, and realsing them back to nature as an exception to the rule.

That said, you can keep an anemone in a small tank provided you understand you may have to remove it one day when it grows too large. I have a BTA in my 10 gallon and it hasn't moved since the second day I got it. Everyone's situation is going to be different. My advice is if you do go anemone put a sponge on your powerhead so it doesn't get shredded.

I enjoy nano tanks because I have a wide variety of creatures that come and go as I let them grow and eventually trade them to my LFS or other enthusiasts. Keeps the tank looking fresh!

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 04:45 PM   #22
sde1500
Registered Member

Anemone vs. torch: which one is harder to keep in nano?

Quote:
Wow chill...it was a joke

Instead of making a terrible "joke" perhaps some info on why you say a 15 gallon is too small. I'd be interested to know as well.

I'd do a torch as well. They aren't mobile and the movement on them is awesome. One of my favorites in my tank.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 06:33 PM   #23
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferNoob4ever View Post
That said, you can keep an anemone in a small tank provided you understand you may have to remove it one day when it grows too large. I have a BTA in my 10 gallon and it hasn't moved since the second day I got it.

What tank do you have the anemone in? What filtration do you find successful for that tank?

Unread 05/25/2017, 09:11 PM   #24
CindyK
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't know anything about LED lights, but my frogspawn and hammer intermingle very happily and they look really cool doing it. I keep my torch out of the mix though.

I think you could make a beautiful tank out of this; one that will TOTALLY impress your co-workers and make your fish friends really happy as well.

Keep in mind if it's in an office setting you'll likely (I'm guessing) be gone Fri night - Mon morning, so you'll want something that tolerates a lack of attention two days a week. The euphyllia are probably more likely to tolerate the lack of attention to water quality on the weekend in a small tank than 'nems would, should things go awry.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef under construction, 32 gal Biocube softies
CindyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 11:52 PM   #25
Mebeknob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyK View Post

Keep in mind if it's in an office setting you'll likely (I'm guessing) be gone Fri night - Mon morning, so you'll want something that tolerates a lack of attention two days a week. The euphyllia are probably more likely to tolerate the lack of attention to water quality on the weekend in a small tank than 'nems would, should things go awry.

Good point. I do have an Apex, but I have yet to use it and not sure if I'll be able to set it up at work or not. They have a guest wifi so maybe...