Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2010, 09:15 AM   #101
CJO
Registered Member

Post 41:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyfin View Post
just finished taking mine apart(mp10). it seems that both bearings are the 607 bearing but im going to head to the bearing store tomorrow and see what they have. I also googled the part number and it would seem R/C bearing are also the same size and the hobbie town in my neak of the woods carries the novarossi ceramic bearings so if i cant find the standard bearings i might go ahead and get the ceramics. After i finsish this completely ill post the how to but its really just the same as the mp40 only difference is that the base plate that mounts to the glass is actually glued on instead of screwed.
Post 48:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyfin View Post
i finished it it ended up being a 687zz bearing for the mp10. ill post the pictures as soon as i upload it.
CJ

CJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2010, 06:04 PM   #102
deepee33
Registered Member

i concure the above -

687zz for both front and back bearings.

i swapped them , now i am back on track with the mp10 happy again

i'll reiterate that you have to be super careful taking them of not to damage the
middle magnet as its fairly fragile.

there will still be i guess another break in period with the new bearings so im hoping they will get even more quite. but at the moment they are not silent but 90% better than they were. for me thats enough for now. until ecotech come up with a silent housing , as i feel that it amplifies alot of the motor sound.
or i guess i would consider a completely submersed version with driver, a la tunze nano with controller.

deepee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2010, 12:32 AM   #103
Stumped
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepee33 View Post
i concure the above -

687zz for both front and back bearings.

i swapped them , now i am back on track with the mp10 happy again
Thanks for the confirmation, I'm going to have to order some and give it a go I guess.

Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2010, 07:51 PM   #104
BowieReefer84
Registered Member

Hello, are these the bearings for MP10? Link http://www.amazon.com/S687ZZ-Bearing.../dp/B002BBHEBY

Mine is LOUD. I am getting a replacement wetside because the prop came apart from the magnet (my own fault), but if this does not work I will get new bearings I guess....

Thanks

BowieReefer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2010, 01:53 AM   #105
deepee33
Registered Member

yes that looks to be the right bearings.

deepee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2010, 03:06 AM   #106
MrGone
Registered Member

haha nice! NTN makes the throw out bearings for a lot of clutches, I got a kick out of that.

Current Tank Info: 255g office, 600g home, 3 gallon Picotope
MrGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 02:51 AM   #107
Flazky
Registered Member.

if somebody could post a video on youtube of the noise difference, that would be awesome!

Flazky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 03:27 PM   #108
kcress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultreef View Post
I asked because I think there is room for improvement over the stock NMB ones. But i'm no expert in bearings.

My vortechs are perfectly fine. They aren't dead silent, but maybe there is a compatible bearing out there that's better? less noise, less resistants and last longer? Maybe someone that knows bearing can help.

Thanks.

There are about five grades of bearings. The higher the grade the more round and accurate the bearings. The more round and accurate the quieter. So if you want the most quiet result you want to buy the $30~40 dollar bearings not the flea bay $4 ones. However you may be wasting your money in the big scheme as the noise difference between the cheapo and deluxe bearing may be completely swallowed up by the dry side or other tank noises.

Very Nice write up dahenley.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 01:15 AM   #109
wieselsport
Registered Member

I cant seem to find the 698 bearings at grainger or some other online places.

Anyone else have better luck?

wieselsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2010, 07:52 AM   #110
reefnut guy
Registered Member

bearing fix

I have a newer mp40 and it also make a considerable amount of noise. Does anyone know if the bearing sizes remain the same in newer units? Or what is the newest vortech (mp40) thats been fixed.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal / 75 gal sump
reefnut guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2011, 10:01 AM   #111
dahenley
Registered Member

Anyone else try this?
just curious as to everyones success?

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2011, 12:14 PM   #112
Dino
Freak of Nature

Anybody have anymore info regarding the ceramic bearings? Just from reading through this thread got the feeling some were saying they were noisier than the steel ball bearings. I have an MP10 though and about the only 687zz bearings I can find are ceramic ball ones unless I buy a 10 bearing lot of cheaper ones but I'm not sure how good they are .

Might just have to try this if I can find some bearings, several months ago the bearings on my MP10 dry side started growling. It got so bad had to turn it down to even hear the TV over it. At that time I just replaced the whole dry side which is now starting to get noisier too. I got an extra dry side with junk bearings just collecting dust in the closet, might as well try and fix it.

I will love and miss you until the last beat of my heart Harley & Rusty.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2011, 12:44 PM   #113
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

I've been reading up on bearings and never knew there was so much that went into a bearing. I too have been reading mixed emotions about ceramic and wonder if it's even necessary, these motors aren't ran at high RPM's (rated at 24,000+ RPM max) and the thrust applied to them aren't that great either (maybe the known out of balance magnet). An ABEC rating of 5 would be more than enough for this application. So I'm leaning towards a stainless steel abec 5, or equivalent.

Cody, have you looked at Granger? I have one a couple miles away, I was going to call them tomorrow and see if they have them in stock. I also notice that some bearings don't have a rating other than the material it's made from, but for tolerances they don't specify, I saw that another way of rating that you may see are ISO (International Organization for Standardization) and DIN (German National Standards Organization) which are opposite than the ABEC rating which is the higher the number the tighter the tolerance, the other 2 (ISO and DIN) are the lower the number the tighter the tolerance.

I guess the question is at what point will spending the extra $$ for ceramic and/or more precise bearing tolerances be counterproductive for the vortech?

I think if the motor was balanced (specifically the magnet) then the tighter tolerances would make a huge difference but I foresee that because of the shimmy it's going to amplify the vibration and make things worse.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress

Last edited by Sisterlimonpot; 01/30/2011 at 12:50 PM.
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2011, 12:53 PM   #114
Dino
Freak of Nature

I've looked online (just right before my post up there^). They don't even list anything for 687zz bearings. Looked at McMaster-Carr too but they don't list anything for 7x14x5 bearings either.

About the only place I've really found them so far is here...
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8047

They have the expensive ceramic ones or some cheaper buggers that come in a 10 pack. Wondering if these might not be fine to use
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit762

I don't really wanna spend $60 on bearings only to find out they're noisier than the factory bearings on my dry side now.

Unread 01/30/2011, 12:59 PM   #115
Sisterlimonpot

Wow, those are expensive, you can definitely see the price jump from abec 5 to 7. after I call tomorrow, I will post some prices (if they have them).Here are some for under $12

Dishes are done man!

Unread 01/30/2011, 01:14 PM   #116
Dino
Freak of Nature

Good find!

Unread 02/01/2011, 12:02 PM   #117
Sisterlimonpot

I contacted Granger and spoke with a representitive, out of the 3 bearings (MP40 7X19X6, 8X19X6 and MP10 7X14X5) they only had one in their inventory which was the 7X19X6 (607ZZ) for $6.72 each.They couldn't give me the specs on what the APEC/ISO rating was.
looks like unless you only need that bearing it's better to find a place that carries all of them.

Has anyone else performed this task?

Dishes are done man!

Unread 02/12/2011, 10:19 PM   #118
nemosworld
Registered Member

mp10:
http://www.rc-bearings.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1174

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Cube
nemosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2011, 10:35 PM   #119
friendlyAlien
Premium Member

Now here is the question: Wouldn't a high quality bearing also use less electricity for the same flow? Or ... another way of asking: Wouldn't you not only get a quieter operation but also more flow?

I would be interested in what the differences are ... seems to me quieter is only one of the benefits of a higher quality bearing.

friendlyAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 11:10 PM   #120
Napi Napoli
Registered Member

Does anyone have links on the best bearings for an mp40 please

Thanks

Napi Napoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 12:00 AM   #121
Sisterlimonpot

7X19X6

and

8X19X6

Dishes are done man!

Unread 02/24/2011, 05:34 AM   #122
Napi Napoli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post

Thank you!!

Napi Napoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2011, 06:27 PM   #123
Dino
Freak of Nature

Thought I'd give this thread an update as I just got done replacing the bearings on my MP10 .

I've been meaning to fix my noisy MP10 for several months now but just hadn't because it wasn't bugging quite enough to push me to finally order some bearings. Until the past couple weeks when it really started getting bad. The past couple weeks it was so noisy I actually had it turned completely down and you could still very clearly hear it growling even with the TV on in the same room.

So I ordered two replacement bearings from Bocabearing...

Shipped right out and got here yesterday. So replaced them today, if I would have known how relatively painless replacing them was I would have done it a LONG time ago. $37 is also a lot easier to swallow than over $100 for a new MP10 dry side. My vortech is now whisper quiet again. Even going 100% flat out you pretty much have to look in the tank or put your hand on the dry side to tell that it is running.

This is a relatively easy fix *PROVIDED* you have a little bit of mechanical/DIY knowledge and the right tools to do it with. My dad is a mechanic so we have an entire garage filled with all kinds of specialized tools including pullers and presses. The part that took the longest and was the most difficult on mine was just getting the outer plastic case on the dry side cracked open. On the MP10 the two pieces of the outer case are held together with contact cement so you have to pry and just fidge with it until you get it apart.

Thanks so much for this thread dahenley!

Now if I could just find where the weird whistling from my skimmer is coming from...

Last edited by Dino; 04/05/2011 at 06:33 PM.
Unread 04/05/2011, 07:10 PM   #124
dahenley
Registered Member

Glad to hear its still helping people out!!

mine is great, and if in the future it needs another set of bearings, it wouldn't hesitate to do it again!

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2011, 08:41 AM   #125
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

I've got my MP20 (same as MP40) apart, but cannot for the life of me get the bearings off.

Tried the use a fork with 1 prong bent back approach, got it under 1 bearing, wiggled and all sorts but no go... any tips?

Even if I do get that one bearing off the other is near flush with the magnet, not sure how i'd get anything under it.

I assume the shaft is attached to the magnet.

Thanks

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote