Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2013, 03:26 AM   #26
rodneyri
Registered Member

OK so took out the PAR meter and here are the results.

First number is T5+LED, (Number in brackets is LED only @ 100%)

Unread 03/25/2013, 04:37 AM   #27
biggles
Registered Member

It appears that the T5's are punching much higher numbers deeper than in the top third of the water column where the LED's are close to even on PAR numbers. Is this how you interpret the numbers Rodney or am i overlooking something.

Unread 03/25/2013, 05:44 AM   #28
Snook65
Premium Member

Rodney, very nice fixture and beautiful tank. I jealous, but that light system is a bit out of my price range.

Snook65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2013, 10:34 AM   #29
karsseboom
Registered Member

Wow man those are some amazing par numbers. I'm really thinking about buying this fixture.

karsseboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2013, 01:22 PM   #30
loweryster
Registered Member

Also curious if the T5s wash out the LEDs. How is the shimmer? The only reason I haven't gone all T5 is the lack of shimmer. Beautiful tank BTW.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
loweryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 01:47 AM   #31
rodneyri
Registered Member

Video of full T5 plus LED to show shimmer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPJ6U...ature=youtu.be

Unread 03/26/2013, 01:55 AM   #32
TimeConsumer
Registered Member

I like how the T5s tone down the usual LED super shimmer effect, it makes for a very nice look.

Unread 03/26/2013, 01:56 AM   #33
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

Not impressed with the skimmer. Still a great looking and PERFORMING ( par is... wow) fixture.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 02:40 AM   #34
rodneyri
Registered Member

what you have to remember is this is with all T5 bulbs punching PAR of 600+ on the sandbed showing this shimmer.....pull the T5 down a few notches and the shimmer is better. Still if you want the best shimmer go MH all the way

Its quite a nice light, the LEDs get rid of the flat look that T5 have and the T5 give the bright look that LED dont have

I will be taking some spectrum readings in the next few days or after easter so keep a look out

Unread 03/26/2013, 06:04 AM   #35
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Looks about perfect to me, best of both.

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 07:07 AM   #36
karsseboom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drae View Post
Not impressed with the skimmer. Still a great looking and PERFORMING ( par is... wow) fixture.
Perfect amount of shimmer. You don't want a tank disco.

Unread 03/26/2013, 08:36 AM   #37
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
Looks about perfect to me, best of both.
Some people argue that it is actually worst of both because not only is it very expensive to purchase, but also owners will incur ongoing costs of tube replacements.

DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 09:30 AM   #38
stevedola
Master of my domain

its about giving the best light to the inhabitants...not about saving money on my electric bill. If I were thinking about how much it costs per month for my tank then I wouldnt be in this hobby.

Current Tank Info: coming soon...
stevedola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 03:56 PM   #39
yitman
Registered Member

Looking great

Current Tank Info: ultra clean rimless tank ,700 liter
yitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 04:30 PM   #40
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

The unit looks great. What type of lenses are used for the leds, if any?

Thanks

Unread 03/26/2013, 06:14 PM   #41
Zstriker
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Some people argue that it is actually worst of both because not only is it very expensive to purchase, but also owners will incur ongoing costs of tube replacements.
Wrong hobby if your worried about saving money...

Zstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 07:02 PM   #42
karsseboom
Registered Member

Yeah, if your spending almost 2000 dollars on a light fixture your not worried about a bulb replacement cost. I think it's funny when some guy spends 3500 on LEDs and says its because of bulb replacements or electricity. That's just the way they justify there purchase to the wife.

Unread 03/26/2013, 07:39 PM   #43
stan zemanek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
In a few years It will be fun to watch all the LED guys and gals talk about what kinds of issues they are having with their corals. I can see it now they will be buying new skimmers, throwing all kinds of snake oils in their tanks only to come and realize that their corals have died because the LED's have in fact worn out. Of course by then that will be the last thing they will have thought of because everybody has bought into the "LED's last forever mentality".

stan zemanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 07:59 PM   #44
psykobowler
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan zemanek View Post
In a few years It will be fun to watch all the LED guys and gals talk about what kinds of issues they are having with their corals. I can see it now they will be buying new skimmers, throwing all kinds of snake oils in their tanks only to come and realize that their corals have died because the LED's have in fact worn out. Of course by then that will be the last thing they will have thought of because everybody has bought into the "LED's last forever mentality".
Plus one man. Exactly what I am thinking. People should be in the hobby to provide the best scenarios to keep their sps healthy most importantly. I've had bad experiences in my past trying to cut the wrong cost. I feel the same way with LED. I think it would be better with either metal halide with LED supplementation or T5 with LED in the middle. There is no risk of losing corals from lack of light spectrum with these 2 options.

Current Tank Info: 300g & 90g display, 90g fragtank, 34g fuge, 120g sump1 w/ RO Xp-5000, 20g sump2 , 5 (2x54wattT5 retrofits) 3 radion xr15pros, 5mp60s, 4tunze6255s, Apex, WXM, KnopCaRx, Avast KalkRx
psykobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 08:02 PM   #45
msaba
Registered Member

Looks like a sweet setup! Just had my 90 g (48 x24x18) built, was waiting on this fixture so the review is timely...Will be tagging along!

msaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2013, 12:07 AM   #46
rodneyri
Registered Member

Cost of bulbs isnt a concern, damn if I counted the costs in the past 3 years ive gone from giesemann infinitiy > Vertex Illumina > GHL Mitras > ATI LED Hybrid, and all this time I have a ATI Powermodule sitting under the bed as a backup light.

Hopefully no one adds up the cost of just lights there for my tank lol

Unread 03/27/2013, 03:24 AM   #47
JordanUK
Registered Member

I was well up for buying one of these for my new tank until you mentioned the LED fans were loud....

Need to see/hear one in the flesh now....

Can you dim the T5's too and are they also programmable with regards on/off dim up/down like the LED's?

Current Tank Info: 300ltr (80g US) Triton dosed mixed reef
JordanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2013, 05:31 AM   #48
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Agreed.

That's why I am sticking with my ATI Sunpower. I do not mind tube replacements either. I get replenished PAR readings every nine to ten months.

Unread 03/27/2013, 08:16 AM   #49
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
Cost of bulbs isnt a concern, damn if I counted the costs in the past 3 years ive gone from giesemann infinitiy > Vertex Illumina > GHL Mitras > ATI LED Hybrid, and all this time I have a ATI Powermodule sitting under the bed as a backup light.

Hopefully no one adds up the cost of just lights there for my tank lol
Why does it say too poor for straphire in your sig?

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2013, 09:02 AM   #50
ReachTheSky
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't mean to derail the thread but a few things need to be clarified here. Where did you hear about the "LED's last forever" mentality? I thought it was pretty common knowledge that LED's are rated for up to 50,000 hours. Assuming the fixture itself doesn't malfunction (at which point you hopefully kept that warranty card), that's roughly 8-12 years of usage, depending of course on how long the diodes are on during the day. Most people don't even keep reef tanks for that long, let alone lighting fixtures! I think by "forever", you really mean "until I upgrade" or "until my wife makes me take the tank down".

All lights lose output over time and LED's are no exception. How quickly they drop off depends mostly on their build quality, how efficiently they disperse heat and if they are overdriven. Most aquarium LED fixtures use high quality Cree/Luxeon LED's that are NOT overdriven and cool them down with fans and heatsinks. They will experience losses within the next few years but it will be miniscule and largely negligible because most people don't run their LED's anywhere near 100% so any drop off can be easily compensated for by a boost in intensity.

Current tank: 7.5g Nano-Reef | Modified AquaClear50 | RapidLED Par38 bulb | 2x Koralia 240gph
ReachTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote