Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2017, 02:33 PM   #151
BigDave
Registered Member

My wife said I overly geeked out this weekend.

After getting the CNC running, I spent a lot of time getting an ELK stack working for monitoring tank parameters instead of the cheesy graphs I was producing. I'll try to get a screen grab of what my grafana dashboard looks like now.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 07:30 AM   #152
BigDave
Registered Member

And because everyone likes pictures

Unread 04/24/2017, 02:16 PM   #153
callsign4223
Registered Member

Very Nice

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 02:33 PM   #154
BigDave
Registered Member

The CNC machine is pretty much done. I still need to make a spoiler board, but I have it working.

I managed to make a square out of 3/4" MDF. Now it's time to start designing some real projects.

Unread 04/30/2017, 09:04 AM   #155
BigDave
Registered Member

Now that I have the CNC working, I started designing a Kalk reactor. Some of the design elements I stole from Land's kalk reactor thread. Except I plan on doing a paddle stirrer design instead of the magnetic.

here's what I have so far

Unread 05/01/2017, 07:07 AM   #156
callsign4223
Registered Member

That is cool. You are giving me ideas my wife is going to have to beat back out of me LOL

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2017, 07:41 AM   #157
BigDave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsign4223 View Post
That is cool. You are giving me ideas my wife is going to have to beat back out of me LOL
Don't blame me... I got the idea from Landy. He's the one with the CNC machine.

Actually... I had the hardest time deciding between a 3d printer or a CNC. I knew that eventually I'd probably have both. I just didn't think that it'd happen within a few months of each other. Finding the CNC design that had most of the parts printed is what sold me on it. My entire cost was about $300. The 3d printer was about $500 to get it fully working... so all in all I've spent less than $1k on the entire workshop.

I did get some of the parts for the reactor cut out of MDF yesterday. I'm having to learn a lot about the CAM software, so getting an idea from design to cut is taking me a bit longer. The biggest thing I've run in to is getting the bit starting location correct all the time. There's been once or twice where I killed a cut just as it started because I lined up the bit in the wrong spot and there was a potential for it to slam into one of the hold down screws.

I plan on doing a full write up when it's done, but here's a teaser

Unread 05/04/2017, 06:30 AM   #158
BigDave
Registered Member

I finally finished the rest of the design on the kalk Reactor. I need to get the rest of the MDF parts cut out to test fit everything.

Then I need to order some more tools and parts before I'll be ready for the next steps.

* 1/4" NPT thread
* 3/4" NPT thread
* 3/8" Thread Mill
* 3/4" PVC flat stock

The motor and motor controller come in today so I can verify the hole spacing on the lid. I'll try to get the stirrer printed out in ABS this weekend. I think that will be strong enough to survive in the high pH liquid.

I spent some time with 3d Studio Max yesterday trying to relearn that software. It's been ages since I've done 3d renders, but I finally got a decent image from the software. The Inventor Renderer is 'ok', but it does horrible with transparent materials. Even in this image I still don't have the lighting on the stirrer good. I need to work on that some more :/

I also setup a new site for tracking my CAD designs

http://cad.wallings.net/index.php/my.../kalk-reactor/

Unread 05/10/2017, 08:48 AM   #159
BigDave
Registered Member

Another death in the tank

I lost my golden-headed sleeper goby.

That makes 4 fish in the last 30 days. I really think what happened was the first fish died and it cascaded. Either that or my cleaner wrasse is tormenting the other fish. I also know my pH had gotten higher then where I wanted to keep it. That might have contributed. Some of my corals weren't opening as much as they typically do during this time period either.

I did a water change over the weekend and the corals are opening up more again. I also stopped dosing Kalk for a week which I think caused the higher pH.

Last night I put some Kalk back into the top-off, but I put less. I think I was over dosing.

I plan on getting another golden-headed sleeper goby as he was my primary sand turner and I'm seeing algae showing up in the sand now.

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:04 PM   #160
BigDave
Registered Member

The cleaner wrasse ended up dead as well.

The store I typically shop at has been out of the sleeper gobies, so I picked up some more snails and a dragon goby.

I'm still trying to kill the aptasia. I was able to catch one of the peppermint shrimp that went to the sump, so he's back in the main tank again.

The kalk reactor design is going well. I'm still test cutting parts in particle board, but I'm getting closer to a final design. The motor for the stirrer came in and I 3d printed a box for the speed controller. I still want to design some type of 3d printed cover to go over the motor to help shield it from any water being splashed on it.

Unread 05/30/2017, 10:00 AM   #161
BigDave
Registered Member

Spent most of the weekend working on the Kalk reactor. I just about have the design finalized and ready to cut from PVC.

I also printed the stirrer itself from ABS. It came out looking pretty good, but a bit flimsy. I need to strengthen it a bit and then reprint it.

Unread 06/09/2017, 02:41 PM   #162
BigDave
Registered Member

Got my PVC sheet in and started some practice cuts to find good speeds

Turn your volume down before starting the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWxMObV1gWI

Unread 06/15/2017, 07:27 AM   #163
BigDave
Registered Member

Took some video of the fish tank the other night while feeding.

Managed to catch the Engineering Goby on camera.

https://youtu.be/Ro0hb9ptAd0

Unread 06/20/2017, 07:13 AM   #164
BigDave
Registered Member

Yay! My aptasia is finally going bye bye.

Not sure if it was the multiple shots of aptasia-x I did, or if the peppermint shrimp are finally doing their job.

I suspect it's a combination of both. There's still a few little ones left, but the other night I was looking at the tank at 2am (dog needed to go out), and I noticed one of the peppermint shrimp was picking at one on a rock.

I'm betting that the aptasia-x broke down the bigger ones so that they were easier to manage for the shrimp.

I also went a period of less feeding (fighting a little algae bloom), and I think that caused the shrimp to start foraging more.

Unread 06/20/2017, 10:29 AM   #165
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Very cool. Glad to see the aptasia is going away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590557

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Display + 55 Gallon Sump/Fuge
zachxlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 07:56 AM   #166
BigDave
Registered Member

I started a thread about my chiller not keeping up with temperatures too well.

I have also been following another thread where they were discussing how well evaporative cooling can help with tank temperatures.

After all the talk about evaporative cooling, I decided to do a quick experiment.

This morning I added two fans to my tank. I'm not sure if they're big enough to produce much, but it's what I had. I'll be curious to see if it shows up in the temperature logs.

While it's a pretty large structure, I don't believe it's affecting the lighting too much. I really don't want to put this in the cabinet, but I might have too.

Future updates to come!

Unread 06/22/2017, 12:45 PM   #167
Crack1sWak
Registered Member

What are you doing for a water change schedule? I am for sure following as I can see the progress you are making and that this will become even better than it is.

Crack1sWak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 12:56 PM   #168
BigDave
Registered Member

I'm haphazard with my water changes. When I do them it's about 16 gallons (~10%). I try to do them every other week, but sometimes only every 3rd.

If the tank is showing weirdness, I try to do one immediately.

Unread 06/22/2017, 12:59 PM   #169
Crack1sWak
Registered Member

Are you testing and doing them based on those results?

I can agree with doing them if the tank seems off, good luck.

Could you possibly post some current pictures of the tank and how the coral are doing I tried looking in the feeding video but it focused on the fish. I do have to say I like the livestock you have in the tank.

Unread 06/22/2017, 01:09 PM   #170
BigDave
Registered Member

The tank really hasn't changed since the last front tank shot. I moved a coral or two, but that was it.

I haven't had the money to add any more corals. I'm hoping to get some frags in a month or two.

I will say all the algae on the back glass is gone. The extra snails I've added have done wonders on cleaning it up.

Unread 06/22/2017, 01:17 PM   #171
Crack1sWak
Registered Member

I have to say I feel you about not having the money for corals. I am going to college in a little under two months and need to save as much as possible so buying coral wouldn't help.

I'm glad to hear though that the tank is doing well. All of the snails I have in my tank keep reproducing and I have hundreds and they are everywhere.

Unread 06/23/2017, 12:29 PM   #172
BigDave
Registered Member

The end of the month is drawing close. I did end up having a bit of play money left over. The LFS gave me a steal of a deal, so I picked up a few new corals. Not sure the specific names of the two SPS, but they looked pretty healthy.

This is just a mushroom on a shell, but I liked the color... as if my tank needs more green in it

This mushroom rock I picked up a while back. I don't think I ever took a picture of it.

Now for Updates. My Green Birdsnest has been looking a little sad lately. I think I handled it too much when it broke off of its mount. I think that's still growth on its tips, so I hope that's a good sign

The blastamossa is a lot happier in it's new home. It's fully opened up since putting it here.

These zoas were hitch-hikers on the rocks. I never expected them to make it, so I never bothered taking a picture.

I am curious about one thing... I've started seeing these white dots all over the tank. I think it's just coroline starting in, but not sure. It looks awfully round.

And since I have moved things around, figured a FTS was in order after all.

Unread 06/23/2017, 12:38 PM   #173
Crack1sWak
Registered Member

I like the new pieces that you have picked up. I have to say I like where the tank is heading and things seem to be taking off.

Unread 06/24/2017, 11:47 AM   #174
BigDave
Registered Member

Just found an astirina starfish on my green birdsnest. This one doesn't look like the other ones in the tank. Different colors. I pulled it out and will be on the lookout for more.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Unread 06/24/2017, 12:22 PM   #175
JimON
Registered Member

Nice tank, cool build too! Thanks for sharing it.

JimON is offline   Reply With Quote