Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2016, 06:12 PM   #1
moatdaddy
Registered Member

Dsuny released new LED. Will have review upon arrival.

I have been surfing the sites for new LED products, I bought some of the first black boxes in 2011. I like to try them out and see if the product is any good. Recently i reviewed the new cob leds and found them too white, therefore i could not give them a passing grade.

Between the white issue, there was the controller being clunky and just not user friendly.

Today i bought this light. Just came out on ebay recently. Shipping from china so at least a few weeks. If anyone has these post your reviews here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-DSunY-D...oAAOSwzchXRU66

moatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 07:11 PM   #2
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

If it is too white also you can rename it SunyD.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 10:28 PM   #3
gcarroll
Registered Member

Well if it sucks, at least you can say you saved a ton of money! How much did the Cob LEDs set you back?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 10:42 PM   #4
cichlid1098
Registered Member

I have 3 of the cob led and paid 145 a piece while they may be on the white side the shimmer is excellent. The software to control them is not great. It would be better if you could link them some way. I also have some other cob led that the software is better but the lights are not as good.

cichlid1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 06:23 AM   #5
gcarroll
Registered Member

How big is the tank? You could always add blue supplements to get the desired look you want

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 08:07 AM   #6
moatdaddy
Registered Member

the cob by a 4 year old black box while getting natural sunlight. so i like testing things.

Unread 06/01/2016, 10:41 AM   #7
sepulvd
Registered Member

It looks fancy for a Chinese made led

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sepulvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

IMHO it, like so many led fixtures, is too white and the layout of leds is just flat AWFUL! Two rows of mostly blu being flanked by a row of all white on either side just screams crappy shadow edges.

Unread 06/01/2016, 01:29 PM   #9
moatdaddy
Registered Member

yea i looked the layout over, and i would change it myself. the thing i did notice was the color of those whites. if they are true to what a halide color is like they are very blue. 12k and 18k. most other led have whites at 6.5k and 10k . interesting to see

Unread 06/03/2016, 03:33 PM   #10
moatdaddy
Registered Member

Arrived from china within the same week. By George that was fast.

for sizing, these are small but powerful.

120 degre opics

Unread 06/03/2016, 03:36 PM   #11
moatdaddy
Registered Member

very easy to setup and use. much better using a controller than my phone on wifi. Got them set up and working in less than 10 minutes and programmed exactly where i want them. When i turn the whites down to 30% and blues to 100% im satisfied with the outcome. I took down the old black box and new cob lights. Will update in a few days if corals start to stn or fry.

Unread 06/03/2016, 03:40 PM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I buy stuff from China just to read the manuals.. Its SO..SO funny how bad they are..
I guess its impossible to find someone that actually speaks English over there in Shenzhen?

Almost every sentence/comment in there is butchered..
Forgot to capitalize the "p" on the 4th instruction too..

Unread 06/03/2016, 04:21 PM   #13
moatdaddy
Registered Member

hahahah yeah, these were good though. Better ones i have seen. I through out the COB instructions. they were terrible. Broken english and out of step instructions. I couldnt get into the wifi on the COBS and emailed them how to. It was a painful response.

Unread 06/03/2016, 04:25 PM   #14
gus6464
Registered Member

Reflectors!!

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 06:35 PM   #15
moatdaddy
Registered Member

yup, too bad i dont have a traditional tank to see how the shimmer is.

Quick update, like i said 10 minutes and the 4 different channels were set. I set them and it all worked. With the COB light setting you had wait a full day for the system to start or set it before your lights came on. this one you can adjust on the fly and everything turned off when it was supposed to.

Unread 06/10/2016, 10:17 AM   #16
moatdaddy
Registered Member

coral are still reacting well to these lights. I am not disappointed in them at all. just waiting for some time to lapse to see growth rates.

Unread 06/10/2016, 11:27 AM   #17
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Reflectors!!
Personal correspondence w/ lens manuf (ledil I believe) pointed to the fact that @ 90 degrees-ish reflectors were more optimal than lenses..
Actually impressed DSunY followed suite..

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2016, 12:11 PM   #18
Devaji108
Registered Member

cool keep us posted..

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2016, 12:15 PM   #19
moatdaddy
Registered Member

so i upgraded lights and skimmer at the same time. Which curbed my algae growth rate and now im about to add more flow. So far the coloration of the SPS is becoming more rainbow, but i think it is just transition. I also lost one colony, which im not surprised with so much change.

Unread 09/08/2016, 09:37 AM   #20
TKEXIETA240
Registered Member

I just got my 2pc DsunY kit yesterday. Haven't even water tested my tank yet. I ordered new Ro filters about 2 weeks ago and ordered the lights 3-4 business days ago and the lights beat everything here. The controller was easy to figure out, but don't look at the lights when you plug them in! The silver finish is pretty nice although I would have referred black over my tank. All the whites in a row sound bad but these suckers are surprisingly compact and I don't think it will be any trouble. The only thing about these that concerns me is that there is a solid plastic sheet over all the lights that I'm worried will scratch from cleaning salt creep or yellow from the heat of the lights. Glass would have been better. Can't wait to see these in action but I doubt I'll have anything to look at for a while. I'm starting from all dry rock and sand. Oh and the fans are super quiet.

TKEXIETA240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2016, 05:57 PM   #21
LISound
Registered Member

any update here? I just ordered the 2 panel pkg just like you.
did not get the wifi but i should have.

LISound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2016, 06:58 PM   #22
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISound View Post
any update here? I just ordered the 2 panel pkg just like you.
did not get the wifi but i should have.
W/ luck it is built like the old model.. The wifi was a plug in module you could buy at a later date..

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 07:53 AM   #23
trueperc
Registered Member

I am too am very interested in these as I am currently trying to decide between these and a little cheaper marsaqua. I would like to have some control that is why I am leaning towards these.

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 08:45 AM   #24
roberthu526
Registered Member

I am interested in these as well. Thinking about building a 240G tank and would like something easy and works from the beginning. Thank you for all the information you guys have provided.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 08:38 AM   #25
jtrasap
Elite Member

I purchased a set about a month ago(received 9/06). It has it's good and bad side but you get a decent light for the price, I guess. The layout of the led's is still not the greatest and does give a bit of a disco effect. There are four control channels and they are a bit oddly aranged. Channel one controls one row of whites plus a single blue led, channel two controls three of the blues!!(Moonlight??), channel three controls the three reds and the rest of the blues minus one, and channel four controls the other bank of whites plus one of the blues just as channel one does. Another issue is customer service. My light arrived with a dent in the top cover and an ac cord that doesn't quite plug into the power supply correctly so it has to be fiddled with to actually get the system to stay on. I contacted them via ebay the day I recieved them and to this day I'm still in a back and forth conversation which is seeming more and more like they are trying to stall things to get past the Ebay 30 day money back window which I am watching very carefully and have made them very aware today that I am keeping track of. I am the one negative feedback they have on Ebay right now and as per my back and forth with them I get the feeling they khow how to play the system and drag things out to play the clock to there advantage. I notified them today that I was onto their game and if it wasn't resolved by the 30 day mark, I'd be filing for my money back.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
jtrasap is offline   Reply With Quote