Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2017, 08:30 AM   #1201
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
These new BRS investigates videos are astounding. I really look forward to the continuation of the lighting tests. The Chaeto one was excellent.

And yes, you are absolutely right about contrast. You get great contrast with the AP700. I am actually on the fence as to what I prefer to look at. Certainly with my T5s on the tank is a viewing pleasure, but it does get more of a flatter look. I definitely couldn't do T5s alone, but the AP700 is strong enough to keep some of that contrast and shimmer even when they are on. I have a Blue+ bulb arriving later this week, so I'm looking forward to comparing the double Coral+ to the Coral+/Blue+ look.

Tell me what you think of that combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 08:31 AM   #1202
bif24701
Registered Member

This is the video I'm talking about where he mentions contrast, depth, and motion. About 13:00 on.

https://youtu.be/nlnCdI-EzpI

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 05/23/2017, 09:55 AM   #1203
drtrash
Registered Member

Good info

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 03:38 PM   #1204
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choseneball View Post
I've been trying to figure out if the kessil ap700 would be enough for a 75 gallon mixed reef tank . does anyone run just one for this tank?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

75 gallon with 1 ap700. Tank started in oct 2015 and had the ap since day 1. I actually consider my tank sps dominant with just a handful of lps. This is the perfect standalone light for a mixed reef of a tank this size.

mfaso24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 05:47 AM   #1205
ktownhero
Registered Member

I've been running the tank without the T5s for a few days and now I'm not sure I am going to keep them. Yes, they make the tank look bright, but man the AP700 alone is just awesome. I realized I was trying to solve a problem I didn't have.

Btw, I started experimenting with orange light for sunrise and sunset and man... It looks really cool. If you haven't seen your tank with a proper sunrise like color, try it out... For scheduling I wouldn't do it for more than maybe 15 minutes but it is quite a nice change of pace for those 15 mins! Also, I started making mid day colors with red and green added and it's also a nice change of pace that makes the tank look brighter. It even works with the heavier blue spectrums. Also something worth trying.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 03:34 PM   #1206
ktownhero
Registered Member

Well the T5s were a pricey experiment... Maybe I'll set up another tank with them down the line 😀

Edit:. Well maybe I'll still build my canopy and just use them for a short peak period.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Unread 05/25/2017, 04:39 PM   #1207
drtrash
Registered Member

I built the canopy and like the added diffuse light. Will have to wait a few months to see results. The AP alone is awesome and hated to hide it but I wanted a better white look that I could not get with kessil logic. If you didn't have a few recovering nems and unhappy zoa would not of done anything

Unread 05/28/2017, 07:13 PM   #1208
reefer31
Registered Member

Just set up both my ap700 over my 120. I have them set at 37% for now and around 9 inches above water line and midline blue on the wheel. But I'm getting major shadowing from the mid piece of the tank. Have you guys had to deal with this too? I thought possibly raising the lights up would help?
So far very impressed with this light. At 100% they blow my 250 mh out of the water. Of course I won't be setting them that high.

reefer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 08:11 AM   #1209
drtrash
Registered Member

Not sure on length of tank but pic looks even light

Unread 05/29/2017, 09:57 AM   #1210
reefer31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
Not sure on length of tank but pic looks even light

If you look at the middle top half of the tank you can see a dark diamond shape that's from the middle piece.

Unread 05/29/2017, 06:20 PM   #1211
drtrash
Registered Member

Floating canopy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0483.jpg (39.9 KB, 39 views)
Unread 05/29/2017, 07:08 PM   #1212
drtrash
Registered Member

My understanding is that kessil logic gives full spectrum no matter what color. I still not sure on that so I vary my color during different time points, am I nuts? I tend to like the color just below the purple color but go a little higher during peak time for whiter light

Unread 05/29/2017, 07:20 PM   #1213
mfaso24
Registered Member

Why does there seem to be no kessil lighting used for the real high end sps or acropora dominant tanks? It's near impossible to find photos of tanks that are really grown in and filled out with acros under kessils. But I see a lot for other LEDs, specifically radions. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask since it's probably a biased group towards kessils but I'm curious if anyone knows something I don't lol. I'm not gonna lie, as someone who has had the ap700 from day 1 it makes me think about switching to radions on a future build, and I love my kessils too don't get me wrong. I just feel like when it comes to acros for whatever reason, radions are far more proven. Does anyone have any input on that?

Unread 05/29/2017, 08:04 PM   #1214
reefer31
Registered Member

I think radions have had a larger push for those aquarium stars to use on their tanks. Plus ecotech has a fairly large following in the aquarium scene.
My tank is going to be mostly sps and I chose kessil over radions.

Unread 05/29/2017, 08:38 PM   #1215
MrMichael
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaso24 View Post
But I see a lot for other LEDs, specifically radions
I've been following this thread because I'm considering the AP700, Mitras, or Radions. I have no idea the actual sales numbers, but I feel like Radions greatly outsell the other brands, so there are more user reports. They clearly work and combined with a few high-profile users, it's easier to research them. It can become a self-fulfilling circle. However, that doesn't mean it's better than AP700 or Mitras.

For me personally, I'm looking forward to Reefapoolza next month, where I can see all of them in person. My gut says all three are sufficient, but without seeing them in person, I don't know what I prefer. This thread has been helpful, but it's almost like picking a car without the test drive.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 06:11 AM   #1216
Thor2j
Registered Member

Quote:
Why does there seem to be no kessil lighting used for the real high end sps or acropora dominant tanks? It's near impossible to find photos of tanks that are really grown in and filled out with acros under kessils. But I see a lot for other LEDs, specifically radions. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask since it's probably a biased group towards kessils but I'm curious if anyone knows something I don't lol. I'm not gonna lie, as someone who has had the ap700 from day 1 it makes me think about switching to radions on a future build, and I love my kessils too don't get me wrong. I just feel like when it comes to acros for whatever reason, radions are far more proven. Does anyone have any input on that?

It's simply a matter of marketing and volume. I have both. Think Kessils are slightly better.

Thor2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 09:57 AM   #1217
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:

That's simply not true. Proof:

http://bfy.tw/C52I

Unread 05/30/2017, 10:03 AM   #1218
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
That's simply not true. Proof:

http://bfy.tw/C52I

That's why I specified acropora and not just "sps tank". I know there are sps tanks with kessils but I was specifically referring to very heavy acropora tanks. And usually the ones I do see are supplemented with either t5s or something else.

Unread 05/30/2017, 08:26 PM   #1219
reefer31
Registered Member

Quote:
That's why I specified acropora and not just "sps tank". I know there are sps tanks with kessils but I was specifically referring to very heavy acropora tanks. And usually the ones I do see are supplemented with either t5s or something else.

I have mostly acropora and 2 Monti in my tank and I plan on acropora dominant tank with a few lps on sand bed or lower rock work. I will update this thread as I go. The tank is still new about 11 months old right now. So I can prove or not to sps/ acropora growth and coloration.

Also, the reason why I chose kessil over radions is I cannot stand the disco colors on the rock and sand from radions even with the newer optics. I believe kessil and radions are similar in output. Kessil so far has had great shimmer and great coloration and beyond powerful in terms of brightness. I wish I had a par meter but that's on my Christmas list

And with the t5 it's mostly evening out the light spread. I have 2 ap700 over my tank and they are great with even light spread. I will not be using T5.

Unread 05/30/2017, 08:27 PM   #1220
reefer31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2j View Post
It's simply a matter of marketing and volume. I have both. Think Kessils are slightly better.

+1 on marketing and volume.

Unread 05/31/2017, 08:05 AM   #1221
smatter
Registered Member

Acropora schmacropora!

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2017, 08:22 AM   #1222
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Tell me what you think of that combo.

The combo is nice, I like it better than 2x Coral+. It would be even better if my T5s were closer together and the colors mixed entirely. I am probably going to end up with 4x39w T5 in my canopy so I can add a P+. When the C+ bulbs go out, I'll probably replace 1 with a B+ so I end up 2xB+, 1xC+, 1xP+.

The C+ bulbs are hard to compensate for with the AP700 as far as adding blue light. But I think the B+ bulbs can be compensated by the AP700 as far as adding whiter light. I think you get more flexibility with B+.

Unread 06/01/2017, 02:48 PM   #1223
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
The combo is nice, I like it better than 2x Coral+. It would be even better if my T5s were closer together and the colors mixed entirely. I am probably going to end up with 4x39w T5 in my canopy so I can add a P+. When the C+ bulbs go out, I'll probably replace 1 with a B+ so I end up 2xB+, 1xC+, 1xP+.

The C+ bulbs are hard to compensate for with the AP700 as far as adding blue light. But I think the B+ bulbs can be compensated by the AP700 as far as adding whiter light. I think you get more flexibility with B+.

Interesting observations. I feel the Blue+ is almost identical to the Kessil AP700 in spectrum so I can see how that's possible. I've got my Kessils tunes very white to balance it all out and now that I've got it figured out been happy with it.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 06/01/2017, 05:09 PM   #1224
drtrash
Registered Member

What intensity are most running for predominately LPS?

Unread 06/03/2017, 09:09 PM   #1225
ScubaNemo
Registered Member

Loving my lights, using them from day 1

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0244.jpg (76.2 KB, 58 views)