Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Vdubin00
Registered Member

75 g build Ogden it

Well I picked up this tank stand canopy , and 2 gen 3 pro radions for $1k ,, the guy said it was a 75g, although in convinced it's bigger then that I actually think it's a 90g , the dimensions are T x H x W 48x26x22 roughly give or take 1/2" due to the top and bottom trims ,, that seems closer to a 90 rather then a 75 ?? Correct me if I'm wrong ,, anyways the guy is going to school didn't have time for it the radions are only 1 year old,, the wood and tank he bought used ,, tank seems like it's in pretty good shape I think I might try to re polish the viewing panel for clearity or install a low iron pane up front for around $120 ,, undecided yet on that ,, I have started on wood work ,, I'm refinishing all the wood, and staining it a red mahogany color and using a semi gloss polyurethane top coat ,, don't want a ton of gloss ,, I started to stain with just a rag ,, and didn't like the consistency or lack there of , so I sanded down the stand (which I had stained while it was lying on its back, dumb *** move cuz everything ran, it looked like **** ) so I started over and im using 80 grit sand paper on all the wood ,, followed by 220 to finish,, I'm going to be using my Wagner sprayer on the rest of it ,
Here is the tank as I picked it up from the guys house (I discarded the sand , learned my lesson on my first tank NEVER USE USED SAND ) maybe some of you have had good results with it , I didn't and I won't ever trust used sand again !!! Anyways
Here's original setup

Here's what my garage has turned into a sanding bay and paint booth

Hers the progress I've made re sanding the stand

Here's the door and the first attempt using the Wagner sprayer and I will say if kept and a good distance and the trigger set to low paint,, it did AMAZING !! If you see the door on the right looks good , and the canopy door on the left looks crapy , I didn't sand the canopy door very well ,, I'll be going back over it with 80 grit then 220 grit

As you can see my garage is in project mode

So I'll be updating this as I go , I'd really appreciate anyone's feed back ,, I might just get crickets ,, but that's ok ,, so here's the start of my 75 or 90 reef build !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vdubin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2017, 08:34 PM   #2
SFish
Registered Member

I like the stand. Is that a stain your putting on it or paint?

SFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Stain ,, red mahogany "minwax" stain

Unread 02/08/2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Vdubin00
Registered Member

I got around to drilling the tank , so the bottom was already drilled once for a single over flow and had the return come over the top of the tank ,,I want safety and piece of mind in case of emergency,, so I drilled 2 more holes for 1" bulk heads one for main overflow one for emergency overflow in case 1st one fails , and one for the return line ! Making progress slowly but surely

For those of you curious about drilling it's quite easy , I used a plastic bottle with a hole in the lid to keep water on the bit along with some pb blaster ! Worked great ! Took me about 15 minutes per hole taking my time

What do you guys think should I replace the bottom piece of particle board on the stand it looks a lil wrapped and kinda smells like mold or mildew ?

Here's one of the inside bottom of the stand,, it's starting to crack

What do you guys think replace it ? My brother owns a counter top shop so I'm thinking of having him making me a laminated piece to go on the bottom so the sump can sit on it and be level and the wood can be protected from moisture I can't find nail holes where this thing is connected I'm thinkin it's glued in

Unread 02/08/2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Oops I posted two of the same pictures here's what bottom of the stand looks like

Unread 02/08/2017, 06:00 PM   #6
SFish
Registered Member

Stains can be a pain. I went through a few pieces of oak plywood myself when I stained the wrap for my stand. I'm sure there must be tricks but my stand is the only thing I've ever stained. I like them better then paint through.

Last edited by SFish; 02/08/2017 at 06:05 PM.
Unread 02/08/2017, 06:01 PM   #7
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Yeah it sure can I've had to sand a couple things cuz I didn't like how inconsistent the stain turned out

Unread 02/08/2017, 06:01 PM   #8
Vdubin00
Registered Member

I should say re sand

Unread 02/08/2017, 06:08 PM   #9
SFish
Registered Member

To be honest I lack the experience to really say. I had pieces that end up with odd spots that I couldn't seem to get rid of and that was with raw plywood.

Unread 02/08/2017, 06:13 PM   #10
SFish
Registered Member

I'm totally confused about the tank size maybe I'm figuring it wrong but wouldn't it be

27456 in3 = 119gal

Unread 02/09/2017, 09:43 AM   #11
Vdubin00
Registered Member

So I messed up on the dimensions! It's supposed to be 48"L X 26"T X 22"W ,, I'm not sure ! I'm going to re check tonight I'll let you know !!!

Unread 02/09/2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Vdubin00
Registered Member

So last night I got around to ripping off the bottom of the stand !!! Good thing I did cuz it was all moldy and full of mildew !! I'll be buying a new pre laminated sheet to replace it with

I'm glad I decided to replace the bottom ,, I'm actually really impressed by how this stand was built ! It had like wood shims cut and glued almost like a dowel would into the bottom piece and the sides ! Very very structurely sound !!! I'm gonna enjoy putting it back together ,,

Unread 02/09/2017, 09:49 AM   #13
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Hahaha so never mind the duct tape wrapped around the end of the hammer ! Haha I took a lil piece of cloth and duct tapped it around the head of the hammer cuz I guess I kept waking up my son my wife said,, I needed to be quieter cuz it was late,

Unread 02/09/2017, 11:22 AM   #14
SFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubin00 View Post
So I messed up on the dimensions! It's supposed to be 48"L X 26"T X 22"W ,, I'm not sure ! I'm going to re check tonight I'll let you know !!!

The order doesn't matter because your multiplying. You probably have more like a 100gal something tank. In any case it doesn't really matter.

Unread 02/09/2017, 12:28 PM   #15
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Haha ! Well dang !! That's crazy !! Thanks for the heads up sfish !!! Also I had an arrival from BRS.com show up today I'll post about it in a bit

Unread 02/10/2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Well my 6 stage universal plus RO/DI Unit arrived yesterday !! Someone once said owning a reef tank is basically caring for a tank of water ,, that's it ,, it's all about maintaining water ,, so I bought the best RO unit I could ,, although I should've just spent another $20 and got the water saver add on ,, but it's ok I'll buy that add on later ,,

I also made more progress with the stand ,, I bought some 3/4" malamine ( I think that's how you spell it ) at Home Depot last night to replace the bottom panel and the two back panels of the stand because they were moldy abs smelled like mildew ,, so I drilled and dowelled the back sides cuz I don't have a biscuit joiner but oh man I'd love to have one !! And I glue everything ,, I had to use the strap to keep everything square !!

More updates coming soon thanks for following my progression !!

Unread 02/10/2017, 01:35 PM   #17
SFish
Registered Member

I'm tempted to say just build your own stand but after spending the money I would be trying to save the stand as well. As far as the bottom you could just put some plywood there and paint it with water resistant paint or deck paint.

Good choice on the RO/DI filter.

Unread 02/12/2017, 05:56 PM   #18
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFish View Post
I'm tempted to say just build your own stand but after spending the money I would be trying to save the stand as well. As far as the bottom you could just put some plywood there and paint it with water resistant paint or deck paint.

Good choice on the RO/DI filter.

Surprisingly,, the price of the piece to replace the bottom was $25 , at Home Depot so actually not that bad of a price !!

I have already installed the bottom piece and it went back together awesomely !!! I'll
Post pic tonight !!

Unread 02/14/2017, 04:45 PM   #19
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Ok so I forgot to take a picture of the new bottom of the stand ,, but I got everything stained ,, and I'm in the process of getting everything ready to spray on the top coat polyurethane

Unread 02/24/2017, 09:50 AM   #20
Vdubin00
Registered Member

So 3rd times a charm right ? Well I didn't like how the poly went on so I ended up sanding everything back down AGAIN !!! This is the third attempt !! So anyways sanding by hand in those hard to reach places is kind of a pain in the *** so I found this thing on google saying to make your own sanding block with some foam , 150 g sand paper and some spray adhesive ,, being that I have hard to reach sanding spots on this stand I gave it a try , so spray some adhesive either on the stand or the paper and place it over the area you want to mold your foam to, I used a putty knife to wedge the paper in tight to fit corners ,, also i used the super flexible anti clogg sand paper ,, and then rub your piece of foam over it till you get your custom sanding block then spray the sand paper to the sanding block and boom tight crevis sanding block here's how mine turned out

Unread 03/04/2017, 07:05 PM   #21
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Alright well everything is sanded down and first layer of poly has been laid down
So we're on our way once again !!!
Also I took some measurements of the tank , it's 48x18x24 LxWxH so it's a 90 gallon for sure !!

I'm actually kind of ****ed cuz I got looking at the tank today and realized there are some possible gnarly scratches in this thing !! And I'm gonna be super bummed if they won't buff out with cerium oxide ,, if they don't I guess I'll just have to install low iron glass =\ ,, I mean it's great and all but it sets me back that much more !! Patients patients right !?!

Unread 03/05/2017, 08:34 AM   #22
mad city fish
Registered Member

Looks really great. I love the stain color you're using. I have a 75 set up with very similar finish. I am looking for to following you progress.
Steve

mad city fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 08:35 AM   #23
mad city fish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad city fish View Post
Looks really great. I love the stain color you're using. I have a 75 set up with very similar finish. I am looking forward to following you progress.
Steve

mad city fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:08 AM   #24
SFish
Registered Member

Post if you get the scratches out. I've read from most people that you can't.

Unread 03/05/2017, 11:13 AM   #25
SFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad city fish View Post
Looks really great. I love the stain color you're using. I have a 75 set up with very similar finish. I am looking for to following you progress.
Steve
I think dark stains look really good on wood.