Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2017, 09:21 PM   #51
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Hey so what do you guys think if I add another hole in my bottom glass ??? My bottom glass in 1/2" thick ,, I'd add a 3/4" hole in between these two 1" bulkhead holes ,, I have this 3/4" bulkhead marking the position I'd install it
I don't think I'll have any trouble with strength cuz I have 1/2" glass at the bottom what do you guys think ? Think I can do it safely ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vdubin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 11:12 AM   #52
SFish
Registered Member

Looks like you have 3 holes already why do you want another one?

SFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 01:03 PM   #53
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Because I'd like 2 main over flows instead of one , so 2 main overflows 1 emergency and one 3/4" hole for the return I want everything coming through the bottom so I can push this tank as close as I can to the wall

Unread 03/17/2017, 03:20 PM   #54
SFish
Registered Member

Don't know if it's safe to drill another hole that close. Think it's supposed to be 2x from the center apart.

http://gmacreef.com/drilling-holes-b...quarium-tanks/

Unread 03/17/2017, 03:30 PM   #55
SFish
Registered Member

It's a personal preference but I would think of a way to cover up that overflow. Overflows that run from the bottom tend to stand out. Maybe you could make a rock wall out of it.

Unread 03/18/2017, 12:21 PM   #56
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFish View Post
It's a personal preference but I would think of a way to cover up that overflow. Overflows that run from the bottom tend to stand out. Maybe you could make a rock wall out of it.

I personally like this overflow style a lot !!

Unread 03/18/2017, 12:52 PM   #57
SFish
Registered Member

I'm more of a ghost overflow style fan myself. If my rocks weren't made I would be putting that in. For me I want the things that I put in the DT to take up as little space as possible.

Unread 03/20/2017, 08:07 AM   #58
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm more of a ghost overflow style fan myself. If my rocks weren't made I would be putting that in. For me I want the things that I put in the DT to take up as little space as possible.

I get that , I personally like the fact that I can push my tank right up against the wall almost giving the perception that it's built into the wall

Unread 03/20/2017, 11:34 AM   #59
SFish
Registered Member

I'm going to put my 2 part and ATO containers behind the stand my self.

Unread 03/20/2017, 12:05 PM   #60
SFish
Registered Member

You going to run a manifold?

Unread 03/20/2017, 02:58 PM   #61
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Yes I will be running a manifold ,,
Here is the setup getting ready to drill the 4th hole I was talking about and everything was successful I now have 4 holes cramped in my overflow tower to make for a beananimal hybrid/my style overflow and one 3/4" return line ,, I'm pretty stoked about my setup !! Now if only my deep scratch kit from eBay would arrive I could start removing some scratches !!

Unread 03/21/2017, 02:58 PM   #62
SFish
Registered Member

Be interested to how you set up your Herbie overflow. Everything I've seen uses 1 1/2" PVC. Do you need those U's (2 90's) on top of all the pipes?

Unread 03/21/2017, 03:01 PM   #63
SFish
Registered Member

Not sure yet but I think I'm going to use 1" gate valves for my manifold. How are you going to connect to yours? I'm going to use barb fittings on mine.

Unread 03/21/2017, 03:05 PM   #64
Vdubin00
Registered Member

I'll be using 1 1/4 for my stand pipes and 1" for my plumbing below like I said above a beananimal /hybrid/mystyle overflow

It depends on what I'm going to be connecting to my manifold bio pellets so far possibly a carbon and GDP reactor so probably barb fittings

Unread 03/28/2017, 08:05 AM   #65
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Well My deep scratch removal kit from eBay arrived last week, and in attempting to try and remove the scratches from the front pane of glass I stepped the glass creating a wave in the glass
Here is some of the scratches

Here's getting started with the sanding

After a while I mean 3 days I figured out I messed up the glass,, I pulled the front pane off the tank for replacement

Then once getting the new piece ,, so I found out Thursday night I effed up the glass pulled the panel off and then Friday morning started calling around almost every shop told me they would have to call me back for a price and every shop said they were at least 3 days out !! Which sucked except for Dixon architectural glass in salt lake (which is about 45 min from where I live and work) they said they could have a 3/8" thick by 48"x 24" piece of glass ready by lunch time for me so I hauled balls down there for lunch picked up the new front panel I could not be happier

Now here's the thing I want to talk to everyone about ! I want to show everyone how I attached my piece of glass I used a hybrid injection method / squash method and I recorded everything !! Unfortunately you'll have to watch them on YouTube there are 3 parts because I don't have video editing software

Part 1 https://youtu.be/I8gKltj4aV8

Part 2 https://youtu.be/tWr5TPsu0_w

Part 3 https://youtu.be/qAhx_p3SCSk

I'm thinking of doing a write up about my method of direct injecting silicone let me know what you all thibjbvv

Unread 03/30/2017, 02:26 PM   #66
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Well I finally got the tank moved down in the basement with the back panel Painted
I think it turned out pretty good !!

Unread 04/06/2017, 08:26 AM   #67
Vdubin00
Registered Member

75 g build Ogden it

So I started adding a dedicated 120 v 20 amp circuit for the reef tank , I've got our tv our PS4 and my 120 freshwater tank all down stairs I don't want to over load the circuit
Here is the materials I picked up from HD , what is not shown here is my cable snake but you will need one if you want to do this

Here the little area I'll be working in I got the location of the outlet marked with masking tape

I was fortunate enough that my floor joists were running the right direction so I found that running a piece of pvc through the space then my cable snake through it worked out pretty good

Here is we're my wife almost killed me jk so one in the ceiling to catch the snake one hole at the top of the wall to direct the snake down the wall and to the left

So here again I ran an extra piece of 1/2" pvc down and left diagonally down my wall over one stud to the hole for the outlet (this was the most pain in the *** step of the process

Once I got the wire pulled through ,, you can chose to leave the pvc or take it out ,, I took mine out once I had the snake ready to pull the wire I just pulled the pvc out backwards

Here I ran the wire back to my electrical sub panel luckily I had an extra tandem 20 amp circuit breaker already installed in my panel

Extra breaker

Then from here you connect your neutral ground and supply
Neutral

Last edited by Vdubin00; 04/06/2017 at 08:54 AM.
Unread 04/06/2017, 08:27 AM   #68
Vdubin00
Registered Member

75 g build Ogden it

Ground

Supply

Here's the new circuit wired up

And here's wiring for the GFCI outlet
Here's finished outlet in the wall

Here's how I started to patch the wall ,, at first I used this method were you trace out the piece of Sheetrock you cut out and cut out 1 inch bigger then peel off the gypsum from the front paper so it doubles as your joint tape ,,

I did the same thing for the ceiling and used a knock down knife to blend in my ceiling texture !

Here's the first patch on the wall ,, because I've never don't this before I sanded down too far and actually had to cut another hole ,, and re patch it with joint tape ! I sanded that down too far and said screw it , it has paint on it currently but I'll fix it later cuz I'm getting kinda ****ed at it ,, lol here a pic of the first patch

So anyway it's coming along !!
I received my sump from elite aquatics and I've started plumbing it I'll get pictures soon thanks for following guys !!!!

Last edited by Vdubin00; 04/06/2017 at 08:52 AM.
Unread 04/06/2017, 10:36 AM   #69
SFish
Registered Member

Now I know who to talk to when I start wiring my tank.

Unread 04/06/2017, 10:38 AM   #70
Vdubin00
Registered Member

You mean wire an outlet for your tank

Unread 04/06/2017, 10:39 AM   #71
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Quote:
Now I know who to talk to when I start wiring my tank.

See above

Unread 04/06/2017, 10:46 AM   #72
SFish
Registered Member

I need to change the outlet in the wall. I'm also wondering if there is a better way to set up under the stand. Right now I have 3 surge protectors.

Unread 04/06/2017, 10:56 AM   #73
Vdubin00
Registered Member

It depends on what else you have on that circuit if you have multiple tanks on that one circuit that your tank is plugged into you are probably going to trip the breaker eventually,, if you want to just change out the outlet just change it to a GFCI,, I would leave the search protectors because if you're thinking of doing a bunch of outlet boxes and switches under the stand that's going to take up a lot of space it's going to be a lot of conduit and you're going to run out of room and you might as well just get it apex controller

Unread 04/06/2017, 10:57 AM   #74
Vdubin00
Registered Member

Quote:
I need to change the outlet in the wall. I'm also wondering if there is a better way to set up under the stand. Right now I have 3 surge protectors.

Sorry man I keep forgetting to quote you so you know I'm talking to you but I will help you with whatever I can I have some electrical background because I am a building inspector

Unread 04/06/2017, 02:36 PM   #75
SFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubin00 View Post
It depends on what else you have on that circuit if you have multiple tanks on that one circuit that your tank is plugged into you are probably going to trip the breaker eventually,, if you want to just change out the outlet just change it to a GFCI,, I would leave the search protectors because if you're thinking of doing a bunch of outlet boxes and switches under the stand that's going to take up a lot of space it's going to be a lot of conduit and you're going to run out of room and you might as well just get it apex controller

I like the idea of Apex but at it's current price I more then likely won't be getting one. I guess I'll leave the surge protectors then.