Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2017, 10:45 AM   #1
PAXpress
Registered Member

DIY Purple rock?

Anyone know of a good, safe, cheap and effective way to change dry rock into natural looking coralline purple rock, without reducing the effectiveness of the filtration the rock provides? Similar to the walt smith rock? I've seen threads warning against this, however I'm wondering if anyone has a good solution for this aside from "patience and nature will take its course."

Unread 05/25/2017, 11:06 AM   #2
CleanReef
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it has been scientifically shown that coraline algae doesn't inhibit the filtration capability of LR. This is because coraline is very porous on the microscopic scale. I say embrace coraline, at least it is more desirable and consumes nutrients that other algae would otherwise consume.

Best of luck.

CleanReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 11:29 AM   #3
PAXpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanReef View Post
I'm pretty sure it has been scientifically shown that coraline algae doesn't inhibit the filtration capability of LR. This is because coraline is very porous on the microscopic scale. I say embrace coraline, at least it is more desirable and consumes nutrients that other algae would otherwise consume.

Best of luck.
I love coralline I'm not trying to prevent it. I just want my rocks purple on day one. The coralline can grow over the purple rocks as they see fit. I'd just like to find a way to have purple rocks without having to wait!

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:27 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

RIT dye

Unread 05/26/2017, 07:05 AM   #5
j tavares
Registered Member

Krylon fusion Spray tI on I used it for yrs in tanks

j tavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 09:38 AM   #6
PAXpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j tavares View Post
Krylon fusion Spray tI on I used it for yrs in tanks
I used the black fusion for the back wall and had good luck with it. I was worried that painting it like this would cause the porosity of the rock to be clogged up and cause it to be less effective at filtration... Any ideas? as for the rit dye this sounds like it wouldnt cause that first problem but would it leach into the water and cause problems (obviously I could soak it in water for weeks to prevent this as I'll need to cure any dry new rock anyways). Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone actually done either of these on their rock?

Unread 05/26/2017, 10:33 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Costs a few dollars to try the RIT... and soda ash and even baking soda + water should set its color so it doesn't leach (not that it would cause problems anyways other than potentially tinted water)..

I would NOT use paint.. It WILL seal pores...

Well.. I wouldn't do either because I think you are just a cheater/poser.. Real men don't paint their rocks purple.. They let nature do it..

Unread 05/26/2017, 07:16 PM   #8
PinkPunisher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Costs a few dollars to try the RIT... and soda ash and even baking soda + water should set its color so it doesn't leach (not that it would cause problems anyways other than potentially tinted water)..

I would NOT use paint.. It WILL seal pores...

Well.. I wouldn't do either because I think you are just a cheater/poser.. Real men don't paint their rocks purple.. They let nature do it..
Not all real men have an extra $7+ a pound to spend on rock that is otherwise identical Or the patience to wait a year plus for purple rocks

Last edited by PinkPunisher; 05/26/2017 at 07:26 PM.
PinkPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 07:09 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I will never understand why people like coralline growth... :shrug:

Unread 05/27/2017, 08:10 AM   #10
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I will never understand why people like coralline growth... :shrug:
This.

One fo the reasons I really like my urchin. It's easy to see where he's been overnight. There will be a swath of bare rock leading right up to his daytime hidey spot.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 11:42 AM   #11
PAXpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
This.

One fo the reasons I really like my urchin. It's easy to see where he's been overnight. There will be a swath of bare rock leading right up to his daytime hidey spot.
Thanks for visiting and leaving your two cents however I'm not really interested in your opinion of coralline, your pincusion's eating habits, or your take on what real men are or aren't. Seems like a straight forward question like this receives more bogus responses than actual input.
Obviously if products like the walt smith reef rock 2.1 is for sale, theres a market for it. I've also seen other threads of people asking similar questions So regardless of your opinion on the matter I'm more interested in ways to simulate coralline growth. I appreciate the helpful input on the rit dye and krylon, however still a bit fearful of the dye slowly leaching into the water. Has anyone used dye on anything in their tank?

Unread 06/08/2017, 01:18 PM   #12
EMeyer
Registered Member

This messageboard community is so funny. I dont know any other online community where people so regularly try to police the responses to threads.

I suggest that if you post about how to dye your rocks purple, you should *expect* a handful of responses directly answering your question, a handful of responses telling you your goal is a bad idea, and a whole bunch of responses barely related to the original topic. Thats what message boards are and have always been. Its not a bug, its a feature.

My two cents -- when you set up a reef tank it'll be months before youre past the uglies, and months before you should stock the tank. Why worry so much about the color of your rocks on day 1? The color of your rocks will change a dozen times over those first few months anyway, regardless of what they start as. By the time youre really stocking the tank you'll have plenty of cca growing, in my experience.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 04:20 PM   #13
homer1475
Registered Member

Waiting for your rock to "purple up" is a lesson in patience. Something we all need to learn to have in this hobby.

if you can't wait it out, maybe this hobby isn't for you.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote