Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2018, 01:54 PM   #1
sankoi
Registered Member

Have had fish in QT for 8 weeks ...Time for DT ?

So, I bought a Lawnmower blennie ,Royal gamma,green coris wrasse and a Blue neon goby ...8 weeks ago .I waited a week made sure they ate properly.Then on the beginning of week 2 did one round of General Cure,two doses.Then another Round at the beginning of week 4,leaving one week between rounds. I've had them in a 10g QT tank for all this time ,8 weeks .I really have not seen any sign of ick ....I thought the royal gamma had flukes again but it was mild lymph that went away with metro and water changes . I have not dosed anything else and really dont want to dose copper .

From my understanding ick or velvet if present would have already shown up for sure especially in a 10g tank .

Would you dose copper or just introduce to DT ?

sankoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 09:28 PM   #2
2_zoa
Registered Member

You’ve hung out a while on this with no response.

My answer to you is, I don’t know.
I don’t know anything about your system. Have you QT’d everything thus far? Corals, rock, snails, crabs, etc, etc......
How old is the system? Are these the first fish?

Reason I ask is. Fish aren’t the only way diseases can be introduced into your tank. With that, the answer is....how far do you want to go with your QT process?
Everyone has their own idea of what is the best way with some not doing anything towards QT. My take is, all or none. Once you short the process, you’ve lost any effort put in. Some play the odds by using calculated risk of their QT process.

I hate to be so vague here. However I hope I opened up some questions. Maybe a bit of courage.
8 weeks is a good long while in QT. However, based on what you described. Me, myself, would not trust the process you’ve stated. I am however a QT nut these days and that’s why my tank that’s been setup almost a year now only has 2 fish and no corals. Waiting to see an issue or a sick fish then treat, doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem or that you’ve cured it. Right? Lots of healthy people are eaten up with cancer and don’t look sick. Ich is no different.
My pocket book limits my purchases but not my QT processes. All my corals, snails, crabs, shrimp, go through a fish less QT of 76 days and my fish (heated debate) go through tank transfer method with 4 weeks of QT on top. So, a coral I buy today won’t see my DT for 76 days min and a fish I buy today won’t see my DT for a month and a half min with the two being in totally separate systems and I won’t put my hands in both systems on the same day.
I’ve done the no QT thing for a long time and I decided to try a more thoughtful approach this time around and I’m all in on the deal.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 09:37 PM   #3
ali1
Registered Member

Yes, you did an excellent job holding out and QTing new additions.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 06:11 AM   #4
kevin21
Registered Member

Get em out of the QT and into the display. Should be all good.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote