Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2016, 06:10 PM   #351
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Hmm. Beautiful shots. I am very privileged to have your coral photos in my tank thread sir. Thank you very much.

It is now Andrew's turn to furnish me with some stunning photos. Thanks in anticipation Andrew.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]

Last edited by tmz; 01/12/2016 at 09:49 AM.
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 05:24 PM   #352
reefmutt
Registered Member

Trying something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Ok! Here goes. I have always found that speciosa gets some pe. And I have found that turaki and echinata get very little.. Some but very little.
Here are my speciosas:
Not great pe but better than I've ever had.

Top:

Another: sorry bad shot..

Last one..

I find that the corralites of speciosa are very squared off from the arm of the coral and sometimes the corralite is sort of cut perpendicular to the arm of the coral..sort of at an angle.. Not sure that makes sense..
And I find the polyps are star shaped and never seem to have that one longer 'finger' extending from the polyp..

Echinata and turaki rarely (for me) get any pe and the corralite tip is always very rounded with a slightly darker tip..
Here's a Hawkins.. Well maybe not, actually, not sure.. But probably echinata.

Here's another echinata (sold to me as echinata)

Here's my turaki. Main body.

Growth tip..

I find that turaki grows more openly in my tank and echinata more densely. But the actual growth tips look very similar.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer

Last edited by reefmutt; 01/11/2016 at 05:32 PM.
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 05:35 PM   #353
reefmutt
Registered Member

I don't understand what is happening. They are on my photobucket account when I go in myself but they aren't there when one accesses it publicly...
Doesn't make sense..
Not sure what to do.. I can't make the links work..
Trying 'direct' instead of image link..
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/a...pssdzexw7e.jpg

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/12/2016, 06:01 AM   #354
Henry Colf
Registered Member

Awesome thread. Love the coral selection and placement.

Henry Colf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 11:13 AM   #355
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Colf View Post
Awesome thread. Love the coral selection and placement.
Henry,

Thank you for the kind words.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 01/12/2016, 11:26 AM   #356
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok! Here goes. I have always found that speciosa gets some pe. And I have found that turaki and echinata get very little.. Some but very little.
Here are my speciosas:
Not great pe but better than I've ever had.

Top:

Another: sorry bad shot.. There's a coral growing directly in front of it that gets in the way..

Last one..

I find that the corralites of speciosa are very squared off from the arm of the coral and sometimes the corralite is sort of cut perpendicular to the arm of the coral..sort of at an angle.. Not sure that makes sense..
And I find the polyps are star shaped and never seem to have that one longer 'finger' extending from the polyp..

Echinata and turaki rarely (for me) get any pe and the corralite tip is always very rounded with a slightly darker tip..
Here's a Hawkins.. Well maybe not, actually, not sure.. But probably echinata.

Here's another echinata (sold to me as echinata)

Here's my turaki. Main body.

Growth tip..

I find that turaki grows more openly in my tank and echinata more densely. But the actual growth tips look very similar.
Here's a shot I posted on your thread a few pages back as a comparison between your 'turaki' and mine..

I hope this works..

Bulent, I have a question.. Didn't we have a quick conversation where I posted that I'd re upload the photos and you posted something along the lines of 'thanks that would be great'
Where did those posts go???
Very mysterious..

Unread 01/12/2016, 11:28 AM   #357
reefmutt
Registered Member

Yay.. It worked!! For now..

And just to make things a bit more confusing, here's an old shot of a 'ice fire echinata' that has not grown a mm in a year.. It looks a lot more like speciosa than echinata..

It's branches are even more fine than the speciosa branches.
I'd say that speciosa and the ice fire echinata look pretty close but the turaki is quite distinguishable from speciosa...
Assuming my names for all of the corals I have posted are actually right!

Unread 01/12/2016, 11:30 AM   #358
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:

Bulent, I have a question.. Didn't we have a quick conversation where I posted that I'd re upload the photos and you posted something along the lines of 'thanks that would be great'
Where did those posts go???
Very mysterious..
Pictures are back. Thank you Matt.

I have asked the mods to clean up the thread, including my own posts, as I got too confused. Your previous post with the missing pictures is likely to disappear too.

Hmm. Beautiful shots. I am very privileged to have your coral photos in my tank thread sir. Thank you very much.

My dealer got back to me and decided not to play the ball. His reply was: "there are a few very similar bottle brush Acropora, speciosa is certainly a possibility."

Unread 01/12/2016, 11:53 AM   #359
reefmutt
Registered Member

Solves that mystery..
You are very welcome, Bulent. As I'm sure you are aware, I quite enjoy shooting corals and whenever there is an excuse to put together a bit of info at the same time, all the better!

I just hope my info is accurate.. It's only as informative as it is accurate..

'Bottle brush' is such a general term for so many types of acropora..
Over here, it is more commonly used to name the Fiji Hyacinthus Acro..

Unread 01/16/2016, 01:31 PM   #360
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Solves that mystery..
You are very welcome, Bulent. As I'm sure you are aware, I quite enjoy shooting corals and whenever there is an excuse to put together a bit of info at the same time, all the better!

I just hope my info is accurate.. It's only as informative as it is accurate..

'Bottle brush' is such a general term for so many types of acropora..
Over here, it is more commonly used to name the Fiji Hyacinthus Acro..
Thanks again Matt. I appreciate your help.

Here are three close-up shot, which I took with my iPhone. My coral does not extend its polyps drink light hours either. I think my head hurts. I will create a thread in SPS-ID section to confuse some more people. At the end of the day, it really should not matter what it is, but then again because I am a sick person with OCD tendencies, it does matter....

Unread 01/16/2016, 01:36 PM   #361
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Here are some random shots, which I have just taken:

Unread 01/16/2016, 02:29 PM   #362
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Here are some random shots, which I have just taken:

These are great! The color contrast is very very good, and I love those anthias!!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 02:36 PM   #363
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
These are great! The color contrast is very very good, and I love those anthias!!
Thanks for your praise Matt. My anthias are doing really well. I am glad that I listened to my lfs and bought them. There is zero aggression among them, which is another plus point. One negative point is that they do not eat mysis though they gobble large RS mysis (fresh water mysis).

Unread 01/16/2016, 03:45 PM   #364
reefmutt
Registered Member

Beautiful shots, Bulent. Love the colour mix and sheer coverage of coral.
I see four of your genicanthus in the first two shots. Nice!
I recently found a second bellus, a little bigger than my existing one.. Hoping it will turn to a male..

Unread 01/16/2016, 03:45 PM   #365
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Since I took their photo last month, the two bubble algae have grown quite a bit. On numerous occasions, I tried to remove them without bursting them, but to no avail.

[/QUOTE]

I tried again tonight, but this time I succeeded to dislodge the one on the right hand side.

The b@st@rd looks really fat.

There is no way the one on the left hand side is going to budge.

Unread 01/16/2016, 03:49 PM   #366
reefmutt
Registered Member

Oh yeah. That's a a bubble bomb alright.
Got a few of those myself!

Unread 01/16/2016, 04:01 PM   #367
MichaelW
Registered Member

Pictures are looking great. I have 4 resplendent anthias 2. They are awesome. I might add some more. How many do you have? You are getting really nice color on your sticks.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 04:45 PM   #368
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

That bubble algae is downright frightening!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 05:23 PM   #369
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Pictures are looking great. I have 4 resplendent anthias 2. They are awesome. I might add some more. How many do you have? You are getting really nice color on your sticks.
Thank you. I have eight resplendent anthias. One of the females has turned to a male recently.

Unread 01/17/2016, 04:05 AM   #370
Superpuma
Registered Member

Love the selection of Angels in those last pic's, l currently have a female G.Melanospilos, hope to pick up a male on my next trip to the UK.
That Bubble Algae is a bute, l used to strategically place big uns like that in my neighbours garden, god only knows what they thought they were and came from, LOL.

Superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2016, 05:14 AM   #371
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpuma View Post
Love the selection of Angels in those last pic's, l currently have a female G.Melanospilos, hope to pick up a male on my next trip to the UK.
That Bubble Algae is a bute, l used to strategically place big uns like that in my neighbours garden, god only knows what they thought they were and came from, LOL.
Thanks Mike.

Abyss is your place to get a male G. melonospilos though Wharf can also get pretty much anything you want. I found out that Abyss had a pair of G. watanabei when I spoke to Steve about your UK trip. Sadly, my tank is not big enough for a pair.

I am glad that you have found useful purpose for your bubble algae. You have given me a good idea. I might try it on my departmental colleagues at my work place.

Unread 01/17/2016, 04:57 PM   #372
b22
Registered Member

That's a nice looking tank. I hope my new 65 ends up looking half as good

b22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2016, 05:19 PM   #373
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Thanks b.

Thanks for your compliment.

I have no doubt your tank will be better.

Unread 01/19/2016, 03:41 PM   #374
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Sorry for the late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Matt. That means a lot.

Quote:
Beautiful shots, Bulent. Love the colour mix and sheer coverage of coral.
I see four of your genicanthus in the first two shots. Nice!
I recently found a second bellus, a little bigger than my existing one.. Hoping it will turn to a male..
Thanks Matt. I am ashamed to admit that my second G. watanabei has also died. She jumped into my weir this time and was stung by my aiptasia scrubber. I have eventually closed all the gaps. There is no where to jump now. If this had not happened you may have seen all my five Genicanthus.

I hope your new female bellus turns to a male. I keep my fingers crossed. I always find female bellus angels more attractive than their male counterparts though.

Quote:
Oh yeah. That's a a bubble bomb alright.
Got a few of those myself!
I know you do. There is a Dutch guy who applied sodium hydroxide (NaOH) to get rid of green hair algae very successfully. A guy who I know inn the UK adapted this technique and applied it to both byropsis and bubble algae. He says that NaOH was very effective. However, note that as you most likely know this chemical is very potent and kills corals on contact and raises pH if used too much. If you are interested, I can send you the details of this Dutch reefer's thread on a UK forum on which he demonstrated the application of NaOH.

Cheers

Unread 01/19/2016, 06:34 PM   #375
reefmutt
Registered Member

Yes, please send me the link, I'm interested in the application.
Thanks!
I agree with you that the female bellus are prettier.. That's why I'm still in the hunt for one or two more females.