Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2019, 11:44 AM   #26
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

At least I still have pics to look at.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 02:25 AM   #27
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey204 View Post
This isn't directed completely at the OP as he may already have it exactly where he always wanted it....

I think a main issue we have as saltwater hobbyists is the fact we generally put our tanks in locations where its not a functional part of our lives every day. Meaning, either due to the home we acquired, living arrangements or the sheer size of the tank we get, we end up keeping them in basements, bedrooms or areas of the house where we don't live around it all day. Almost forgot the main factor some guys have to deal with - wive's not wanting it in their "feng shui" so it's automatically put downstairs....

This plays a big part in it. I had grand plans to finish the basement around the tank. But it never happened.
Had I put it in my office where I spend most our time it would have only been good for a couple years because we moved rooms where the office is for the kids.
Should have maybe put it in the living room, went 10' by 3' tall and 2' deep.

Sold all my angels today. So it's happening. I'm sad, anxious, excited, and happy all at the same time.

I'm going to clean everything up really nice and let it sit I think. In a couple years either sell it or go for broke and make it the mixed reef I started out wanting.

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 12:14 PM   #28
mickey204
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff000 View Post
This plays a big part in it. I had grand plans to finish the basement around the tank. But it never happened.
Had I put it in my office where I spend most our time it would have only been good for a couple years because we moved rooms where the office is for the kids.
Should have maybe put it in the living room, went 10' by 3' tall and 2' deep.

Sold all my angels today. So it's happening. I'm sad, anxious, excited, and happy all at the same time.

I'm going to clean everything up really nice and let it sit I think. In a couple years either sell it or go for broke and make it the mixed reef I started out wanting.
Best of luck on your journey!

mickey204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 12:48 PM   #29
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

2 cents from someone who has had salt tanks for 35 years and a reefs for 30.

I too have considered shutting it all down, not just to save money but to inflict a little less global warming on real reefs with my electric bill. If everything somehow crashed I would not rebuild.

The reef is in our basement family room where we spend a few hours every day but I don't really spend much time looking at in any more, and I miss things as a consequence. One thing I did to remove a lot of hassle was get the sump out from cramped quarters under the tank into another room - stock tanks make life so much easier!

There have been a few times when I was very glad I didn't chuck it all. Several times while we've had guests over, I've found people sitting quietly in front of the tank staring at it and taking it all in, sometimes for a half hour or more. And I've watched my 8 year old granddaughter name all the critters and corals and explain symbiotic relationships to visitors. Things like that make it worthwhile.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2019, 11:36 AM   #30
Heuristic
Registered Member

I found myself spending all my fun money on the tank and not my first hobby(cars), so I decided to break down the tank and sell it. I also had some bad incidents when we went on vacations that discouraged me further. Now that I'm back messing with cars again, I want to start back up a smaller tank to mess with and do it smarter the first time around.

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote