Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2019, 06:27 PM   #1
albertan22
Registered Member

6 foot tank overflows

I’m looking to upgrade from my 4’ 120g tank to a 6’ 180g. My 120g has a single corner overflow which has worked fine, how many overflows does a 6’ tank need to keep from getting scummy at the surface? I’m not excited about a center overflow but don’t know how plumbing would work with dual corner overflows since I want to use herbie style overflows and one corner would end up with a long horizontal run. I’m going to have the tank built so all options are open to me.

albertan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2019, 09:28 AM   #2
fishguy306
Registered Member

I hated trying to run a herbie in a dual corner overflow tank. Personally on a 6' tank if I was having it built I'd still just do a single corner overflow or an external overflow box.

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2019, 09:17 AM   #3
on the spot
Registered Member

If you have the room I'd opt for through the back. Off the shelf components. Many slim profile options available. next to no real estate lost.

Through the bottom? at 6 foot a stock tank makes the most sense. Dual corner/dual herbies.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2019, 04:24 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Corner overflows stink. If you’re having the tank made go with one of the modern ghosts-style overflows. A couple of the companies make 36” long models. That’s what I’m using on my 8’ tanks and it works very well.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2019, 01:36 PM   #5
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
If you have the room I'd opt for through the back. Off the shelf components. Many slim profile options available. next to no real estate lost.

Through the bottom? at 6 foot a stock tank makes the most sense. Dual corner/dual herbies.

HTH
If the OP is still interested this is what i did. 16 inch shadow box. on my 210

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote